565 The Great Dictator

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Gregory

Re: 565 The Great Dictator

#26 Post by Gregory » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:56 pm

knives wrote:Actually the reason for the tramp mustache on Hitler is known. Essentially it was an appeal to make him more popular with the working man because a lot of poor people with bad razors would cut like that.
I don't think it's quite so clear-cut. But yeah, those bad razors are the worst! I was rushing to work this morning and went to shave off my moustache growth. I got out my straight razor and did my usual one-swipe maneuver, but then noticed that the razor had a one-inch nick in the middle of the blade. I didn't have time to redo the whole maneuver, so I had to go to work looking like Hitler. Again.
The life of a working man.

HerrSchreck

#27 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 am

http://mobile.slate.com/articles/life/e ... _hair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/quest ... om-chaplin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guys... Its late and I'm not sure if Greg is kidding but the guy before him certainly wasn't

Knives comment is I hope nonsensical. There is no such evidence whatsoever.. The origin of Hitler's moustache has een endlessly wondered about and the idea the Hitler told someone about it is simply wigged.

Above is a little niggle of speculation rolled into one useless ball.
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#28 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:58 am

Oh god dammit, was that just a joke? This is more embarassing than the time I finally got around to looking up gullible in the dictionary. (The school children were right; there was a picture of me next to it.)

EDIT: This article backs up Knives' assertation; it talks about how the nobility in germany had the pointy Kaiser style mustache, so a simple mustache was vertical sides was associated with the working man.
Last edited by jindianajonz on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:00 am

Gregory was clearly being sarcastic. Knives seemed sincere and his theory doesn't sound all that outrageous but I have never heard it before and it has the air of an after-the-fact label of importance on something that more likely than not came down to a matter of personal taste for Der Fuhrer. Imagine if some historian eighty years into the future tried to analyze your appearance right now and made larger claims about your person based on your haircut or choice of footwear. "He wore a watch because he needed to message to the public that he always had time for them."

HerrSchreck

#30 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:10 am

The outrageousness depends on the perspective. To someone that has read well over a hundred key historical sources on the European theater of the war, it's a howler and I was sure he was joking. Thus the ribbing with the sound of crickets. It's a question famed for its unanswerable-ness.

Just sayin...

And as for the fashion development of the toothbrush vs the handlebar, Hitler himself wore a handlebar. He never spoke on record about dull razors or bucking the upper classes whose favor he endlessly curried during his early years courting the military and the industrialists ... People like Ludendorf and Hindenburg .. handlebar wearing partners who he needed so desperately to gain power and favor with the bourgoise run military.
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#31 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:19 am

If anybody really cares, here's another article that indicates Hitler's mustache wasn't a true toothbrush mustache, and was rather unfashionable.
When Ernst “Putzi” Hanfstaengl, one of Hitler’s close friends, urged him to abandon the “ugly” mustache, Hitler responded, “If it is not the fashion now, it will be later because I wear it.”

knives

#32 Post by knives » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 am

HerrSchreck wrote:The outrageousness depends on the perspective. To someone that has read well over a hundred key historical sources on the European theater of the war, it's a howler and I was sure he was joking. Thus the ribbing with the sound of crickets. It's a question famed for its unanswerable-ness.

Just sayin...
Yes, I was joking. An old drunken Marxist once relayed that to me before laughing himself nearly to death.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am

Interesting tidbit I just read about while continuing to work my way through the massive Inside Oscar volume: Jack Oakie was surprisingly considered to be the odds-on favorite to win Best Supporting Actor for this film. When Walter Brennan won his third Oscar for the Westerner instead, the entire crowd gasped in shock and Oakie broke down crying! He then told anyone who would listen that it was because of support from the extras, meaning this widely accepted explanation for Brennan's inexplicable run of wins is perhaps a little suspect since it came from a bitter rival who lost to him...