630 Rosemary's Baby

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
escobar741

Re: 630 Rosemary's Baby

#76 Post by escobar741 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I would certainly welcome a Criterion of Macbeth, as the current Region 1 is totally bare-bones and certainly has imperfections (like tram lines in one scene). I think the widescreen Todd-AO process for Macbeth, which looks amazing in the cinema, merits a BD. The current Region 1 for The Tenant is quite good but in all cases a commentary would be wonderful.

HistoryProf

#77 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Finally got to sit down with this last night and it's as wonderful as I hoped. pristine transfer and the retrospective is phenomenal. Mia on Sinatra and Polanksi on Cassevetes is the kind of thing I long for with every film doc. One of the best extras of the year for sure.

Not much else to say other than it remains one of if not the greatest horror films ever made. I had forgotten how truly unsettling the dream sequences are. Sadly my 13 year old who is a fan of scary movies found it "boring" and declared "no one is even getting killed?!?!" *sigh*

She did, however, provide the greatest comic relief I've had in a long time. Following the scene where Mia gets the book from Hutch's friend and is told "it's an anagram", I asked her if she knew what an anagram was. She responded: Is that the machine women have to put their boobs in that squeezes them together?"

I'm still laughing. :lol:

zedz

#78 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

In the olden days, they had to squeeze the boobs between the pages of a book.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:34 pm

When Rosemary’s Baby was about to be released in 1968, LaVey, besides playing the part of the Devil, attended advanced screenings set up by the studio’s publicity department to elicit his observations as various religious groups previewed the film. It was, after all, a metaphorical as well as a very real offshoot of LaVey and the Church of Satan. (LaVey has said Rosemary’s Baby “did for the Church of Satan what The Birth of a Nation did for the Ku Klux Klan, complete with recruiting posters in the lobby.”) Taking advantage of the High Priest’s high visibility, small black buttons were passed out at the screenings which said, “Pray for Anton LaVey,” a variant on the “Pray for Rosemary’s Baby” buttons also being handed out as a promotional item. LaVey remembered the audience’s reaction to the ending of the film, when it clearly showed the Satanists had no intention of hurting the child, as everyone expected, but glorified it as the son of Satan. “People got very angry—stomping their feet and showing general disapproval. Sometimes the reality of Satanism is a lot more terrifying to people than their safe fantasies of what it’s supposed to be. For the first time, they’ve been confronted with a Devil that talks back.”

from The Secret Life of a Satanist: The Authorized Biography of Anton LaVey by Blanche Barton

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 pm

If you've ever thought this story would be better told as an NBC miniseries, good news!

Mr Sausage

#81 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 am

Stephen King discussion moved here.

acroyear

#82 Post by acroyear » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I just re-watched this film last night and couldn't help noticing some clever framing on the part of the director... In the moments Rosemary is waiting downtown for her lunch meeting with Hutch there is a shot of a building displaying a large digital clock. In that composition the "Radio City Music Hall" neon sign is cropped just so it reads "Dio" City.

I have not done much outside reading on the film and don't know how widespread this in-joke is known about. :wink:

Emak-Bakia

#83 Post by Emak-Bakia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:24 pm

I finally picked up a copy of this from the Barnes and Noble sale, but I was disappointed when I opened it to find that the booklet was beat to shit. And not just your usual wear from bouncing around in the case - three edges were really creased and wrinkled and even had a few small tears. Also, it wasn't visible with the plastic wrap on, but the artwork had lots of subtle creases, as if someone had taken it out and handled it roughly. It clearly was not a new copy.

I know there have been reports of B&N rewrapping returns, so I figured I just had a bit of bad luck. I waited a week for my local store to get another in stock, and, fortunately, they exchanged it, albeit with some confusion and suspicion. But wouldn't you know that as soon as I got to the parking lot, I opened up the replacement, and it's in the same condition! What's happened to Rosemary's Baby? Anyone else have problems with the condition of this particular title?

Off to Mulvaney I'm going with this one. And I'll definitely be praying for Rosemary's Baby.

Ashirg

#84 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Your discs were possessed and someone tried to exorcise them....

But seriously, I've received discs from B&N sale that were re-wrapped, but never seen damaged booklet or disc. One of the immediate signs is a missing blue sticker...

Emak-Bakia

#85 Post by Emak-Bakia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah, I did take note of the missing sticker, and I thought that might be an indication. I just can't believe it happened twice in a row, especially since I had to wait a week for them to get the replacement in, so it clearly came from a different shipment. Maybe my post is more appropriate for the Barnes and Noble complaints thread....

Hopefully Criterion don't try to charge me for the replacement booklet and artwork.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#86 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

If you can show you bought it from a retailer they're usually good about it. It's when you've bought it from a place like ebay or second hand where they will probably charge you for it. At least in my experience.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#87 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

You might just need to lower your standards. Sometimes the replacement packaging that Criterion sends is in no less ratty condition.

bugsy_pal

#88 Post by bugsy_pal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 pm

I have received damaged booklets in Criterions that appear to have original shrinkwrap with stickers. I think that the process of packaging booklets inside cases is a bit fraught - it's obviously done by humans, and I think they often just jam them in there. I have been surprised at how many booklets I've had with small tears, dog-eared corners and creases across the whole booklet. But in the grand scheme of things, I can put up with that. What I can't stand is digipaks where the plastic holders have been smashed into many pieces - have to get them replaced.

colinr0380

#90 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:44 pm

The VHS Video Vault channel has unearthed the 1991 BBC introduction to Rosemary's Baby by Howard Schuman, with a nice touching on The Seventh Victim too!