827 McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
TheKieslowskiHaze

Re: 827 McCabe & Mrs Miller

#101 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:07 pm
I was watching this afternoon with the commentary. Question... When McCabe after killing Breed is running through the snow banks to hide from Butler at one point as the camera is panning left you see a camera crew and tripod in the very left corner of the frame before it cuts to that angle of where the cam is. I had to stopped it, go back and freeze it to see exactly what that was. Has anyone noticed that?
Yes, that's a particularly glaring goof.

Still a masterpiece, though.

hearthesilence

#102 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:49 pm

There's no reason the UHD shouldn't look like the current Blu-ray (aside from the fact that it's in higher resolution) since it's using the same 4K restoration as before, correct? At least in theory...

(I'm just thinking of the "new" restoration for The Long Goodbye and how it essentially graded out the fog filter look - at least if the UHD for McCabe is using the same restoration as the standard Blu-ray, we'll know that look should be preserved.)

yoloswegmaster

#103 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:03 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:49 pm
There's no reason the UHD shouldn't look like the current Blu-ray (aside from the fact that it's in higher resolution) since it's using the same 4K restoration as before, correct? At least in theory...

(I'm just thinking of the "new" restoration for The Long Goodbye and how it essentially graded out the fog filter look - at least if the UHD for McCabe is using the same restoration as the standard Blu-ray, we'll know that look should be preserved.)
The general rule of thumb for a UHD upgrade is that if the description doesn't mention the transfer being "new", then it's 99% likely going to be sourced from the previous 4K transfer. In this case, it doesn't look like you will have to worry about a new restoration that will alter the appearance from the film how it originally intended.

kcota17

#104 Post by kcota17 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 pm

Will this even be worth an upgrade without HDR?

Matt

Re: 827 McCabe & Mrs. Miller

#105 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:56 am

I think just the increased resolution and reduced compression would allow for a more faithful rendering of the prominent grain of the 35mm source. But that’s hypothetical. Who can say if there will actually be any visible improvement at all?