139 Wild Strawberries

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

139 Wild Strawberries

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:19 pm

Wild Strawberries

Image Image

Traveling to accept an honorary degree, Professor Isak Borg—masterfully played by veteran director Victor Sjöström—is forced to face his past, come to terms with his faults, and make peace with the inevitability of his approaching death. Through flashbacks and fantasies, dreams and nightmares, Wild Strawberries dramatizes one man’s remarkable voyage of self-discovery. This richly humane masterpiece, full of iconic imagery, is a treasure from the golden age of art-house cinema and one of the films that catapulted Ingmar Bergman to international acclaim.

Disc Features

• New high-definition digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
• Audio commentary by film scholar Peter Cowie
• Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman
Ingmar Bergman on Life and Work, a ninety-minute documentary by filmmaker and author Jörn Donner
• Behind-the-scenes footage shot by Bergman
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Mark Le Fanu

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:19 pm

DVD Journal review by Gregory P. Dorr:

Ingmar Bergman makes movies of high renown. He makes the kinds of movies that critics' organizations and professional associations and film festivals love to award with glittery statuettes and palms. He makes the kinds of movies college students love to brag about and that their professors spend hours poring over frame-by-frame. He makes films of prestige. Films that few will disparage and many will laud.

But has Bergman ever made a film that people actually like?

If he has, then Wild Strawberries may well be it. As usual, there is certainly much to admire in this 1958 meditation on aging, recollection and resolve, made only a year after the director's most famous work, The Seventh Seal. Gunnar Fischer's stark black-and-white photography is rich and stunning, the performances are natural and pitch-perfect, and the narrative is carefully and exquisitely tailored. Tipping favor towards Wild Strawberries, Bergman's playful, insightful humor is also given a run out, and the director also indulges in a modicum of sentimentality, adding accessibility where he usually opts for intellectual obscurity.

Victor Sjostrom stars as Isak Borg, an aging, withdrawn doctor en route to a prestigious ceremony honoring his life and work. Accompanied by his morose daughter-in-law (Ingrid Thulin), Dr. Borg learns of the embittering effect his strict and reserved ways have had on his only son, and from there the long road-trip becomes as journey into the past. Dr. Borg drifts into haunting memories of loss and weakness. He is soon overcome by the ironies of his life — namely that a man of such "knowledge" can in fact know so little about himself and those around him, and that such a distinguished award might be bestowed upon such a miserable failure. Eventually, however, Borg's self-obsession gives way and he begins to understand that a life lived ruing missed opportunities and sleights of character can never produce reparations, as well as some gentle human contact.

But for all of its great moments and intentions, Wild Strawberries is nevertheless — like its protagonist — too cold for too long. While Borg's eventual acceptance of his life and deeds is skillfully planned, it fails to transcend cerebral satisfaction into an emotional realm. It doesn't help that Sjostrom spends too much of the film indulging in tedious dream sequences and stalking around like a late Boris Karloff. The gifted Bergman again balks at escaping the intellectual straight-jacket that has always stifled his work from becoming more meaningful than just a conversation piece.

It's a great relief that Bergman indulges more liberally than usual in his sense of humor in Wild Strawberries, and there are some great snips of witty dialogue here and there. Also refreshing is Bibi Andersson as (in one part of her dual roles) a free-spirited young woman entertaining the conflicting affections of two hard-headed suitors.

Criterion's new digital transfer of Wild Strawberries is gorgeous in its original full-frame aspect ratio (1.33:1), and the Dolby Digital 1.0 audio track (in Swedish) is accompanied by newly translated digital English subtitles. Film Scholar Peter Cowie offers a dry commentary, and a stills gallery is included. But as on Criterion's release of Cries and Whispers, the real treat is a previously unreleased 90-minute Swedish documentary, Ingmar Bergman on His Life and Work, by John Donner.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat May 17, 2008 1:14 am

I'd love to get a quick roll call on the feelings around here about this film, and how it contends viz the rest of IB's canon. Anyone?

Tom Hagen

#4 Post by Tom Hagen » Sat May 17, 2008 1:23 am

Easily in his top 5 for me. Its my favorite of his '50s work, and it is the first Bergman that I would suggest to a newcomer.

sidehacker

#5 Post by sidehacker » Sat May 17, 2008 1:54 am

I'd love to get a quick roll call on the feelings around here about this film, and how it contends viz the rest of IB's canon. Anyone?
Never really was a fan. Give me The Virgin Spring any day.

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Sat May 17, 2008 2:02 am

Not a big fan of Bergman in general. Though I do like this one more than the others.

Cold Bishop

#7 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat May 17, 2008 3:12 am

HerrSchreck wrote:I'd love to get a quick roll call on the feelings around here about this film, and how it contends viz the rest of IB's canon. Anyone?
As far as his 50s films go, its either this or Seal. Still, it's no Persona or Fanny and Alexander, but thats just my personal preference.

Tommaso

#8 Post by Tommaso » Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 am

It's comparatively mellow in tone, certainly not as dark or abrasive as most of his works from the 60s. This may have to do with his admiration for Sjöström, and it's probably not by chance that Bergman cast Sjöström as the main character. The yearning for the return to childhood, the strange mixture of road movie and pilgrimage might in a way even be interpreted as a search for cinematic origins (consider the opening hommage to Sjöström's "Phantom Carriage"). A fantastic performance by Ingrid Thulin on top of it.
It's not among my most favourite Bergmans (from the 50s I prefer both "Seventh Seal" and "Smiles of a summer's night", for various reasons), but it's a very beautiful film and perhaps an ideal way to start exploring Bergman's work.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 am

I agree with Tommaso that it is more of a 'classical' Bergman rather than an example of a stripped-down, bleak world that the Film Trilogy for example shows (we are still in opulent Gunnar Fischer rather than ascetic Sven Nykvist photographic territory too of course!), but it is certainly not a purely sweet film either! I also agree with Tom Hagen that this is a great film to show a Bergman newbie as it contains many of Bergman's themes but is not so starkly confrontational as his 60s films - it has the beautiful pastoral touches of Smiles of a Summer Night in some scenes while at the same time having some 'dark' Bergman touches in other sections. It also contains many familiar faces: Ingrid Thulin, Gunnar Björnstrand, Bibi Andersson, Gunnel Lindblom, Åke Fridell and so on.

It can be read as a tribute to Sjöström, as a professor reminisces while travelling with his daughter-in-law to collect an honorary award. The journey plays like a collection of vignettes of people they meet along the way (a quarrelling couple; a bunch of students enjoying the discovery of debate and trying to out philosophise each other in attempts to impress their amused female companion; Max Von Sydow turning up briefly as a gas pump attendant) which play into Isak Borg's remembrances, hopes and fears. There is an amazing moment when the car is full of these people that Borg and his daughter-in-law have picked up along their journey, but who are also functioning as triggers for different parts of Isak's memories! (Marianne, the daughter in law, can see the effect the sniping married couple are having on everyone in the car from Isak to the students and so she ends up asking them if they don't mind walking "for the sake of the children" but also for Isak's sake as well. The relationship between Isak and Marianne is one of the most touching parts of the film as you get the sense of growing understanding and affection between them through the closeness of the car journey).

The strange connections we make inside our heads and ways memories are triggered by events around us are shown quite wonderfully as we get some beautiful reminiscences of times and people long past and some vivid nightmares expressing personal anxieties Borg seems to have had for a long time (though the second nightmare contains a classic "I'm sitting a very important exam and everything is going wrong" moment that everyone can probably relate to!)

This is probably my favourite 50s Bergman (just surpassing So Close To Life), a beautiful film and a beautiful tribute to Bergman's mentor. It deserves to be considered among the classic road movies! :wink:

Hopscotch

#10 Post by Hopscotch » Sat May 17, 2008 9:10 am

Have you seen the film, Shreck?

Wild Strawberries was the movie that basically introduced me to international cinema (found an old VHS copy in a rental store years ago), so I definitely have a sentimental connection to it. It was my first Bergman film. That said, I'll definitely take Scenes From a Marriage or Cries and Whispers over it most days.

But for its warmth and for its humanity, I've returned to Wild almost every year after having seen it. Agreed with everyone that it's definitely a good Bergman starter. That said, I'm pretty sure I remember you (Shreck) writing something about Winter Light on this forum before? I don't know how Wild sits with people who've already been exposed to (slightly or much) later-period Bergman.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 17, 2008 10:11 am

The only Bergman movie I saw in my teens (long long ago) -- and still my favorite.

Michael

#12 Post by Michael » Sat May 17, 2008 10:40 am

Schreck, in my universe Wild Strawberries has plenty to thank for. It's the film that first introduced me to Ingrid Thulin. When the film ended, I thought, who the hell was that gorgeous woman?! I can't think of other actresses that consume me, all of me and beyond, more than Thulin, Alida Valli (magnifico in Eyes Without a Face, Lisa and the Devil and Suspiria and the most ethereal in The Spider's Stratagem) and Marlene Dietrich (only in Sternberg's gaze). They are so otherworldly and the most beautiful women.

But anyway, do watch Wild Strawberries but I think after reading your words and thoughts long enough, becoming familiar with your taste in cinema, I think Cries and Whispers is more up your alley. It remains my favorite Bergman film. Years ago I went through a phase being obsessed with Bergman's 60s masterpieces but recently I've lost the love for them (too stiff, not as organic as his 50s and 70s films if that makes any sense), now preferring Cries and Whispers more than other Bergman films, it's the Bergman film that stands out the most in my mind whenever I think of him. All those women getting whirled into the blood red fever of chilly gothic horror. Terribly devastating esp in those extreme close-ups melting into red and corpse's waxy hands grabbing into the dead air begging for the vanishing dust of warmth and love.

Unlike Cries and Whispers, Wild Strawberries has humor and it's a lot lighter. And with an ending that will make you feel all warm and rejuvenated. None of Cries' luxuriously gothic abyss of pain and despair.
Last edited by Michael on Sat May 17, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tryavna

#13 Post by tryavna » Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Just to add to everyone else's praise, let's not forget Sjöström's central performance, which is quite wonderful in its dignity -- one of the great meditations on aging.

Mr Sausage

#14 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat May 17, 2008 12:38 pm

Not much I can add to the praise except to say it's my favourite thus far of Bergman's fifties films, and that I found it very moving on a number of emotional levels.

HerrSchreck

#15 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat May 17, 2008 3:15 pm

I guess the drift came off wrong in my post-- yes I'd seen this film yrs ago and have had it on dvd for yrs. The reason I asked the question is I have a curious fluctuating sense about this film that I don't get with much else of Bergman, say the Trilogy, Virgin Spring, 7th Seal etc.. in that my enjoyment of it pretty much is dictated by the state of my brain when I come to it. Which for me is unusual, since film in general (and most of Bergman) takes me along with it, and my disposition when sitting down is irrelevant.

The post came as I was sitting in the middle of the night staring at the disc, ambivalent about putting it on. I went to the thread and found it bone dry. Thus../\

dad1153

Re: 139 Wild Strawberries

#16 Post by dad1153 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Saw "Wild Strawberries" last weekend on TCM Underground (DVR). My second viewing and W-O-W, talk about a filmmaker in complete command of his element (and on the same year Bergman delivered "The Seventh Seal"). Victor Sjöström is both delightful, pitiful and charming as Bergman's alter ego in a beautifully-shot cinematic reflection of what it would be like to re-interpret one's childhood and life experiences (mostly the bad one's) through fantasy, dream and sober reflection of one's already-lived-through reality. Sjöström's character reminds me so much of Bergman in his latter years (as seen in interviews/documentaries like "Bergman Island") which is remarkable because Ingmar was a much younger man when he conceived Isak's introspective road trip. Isak's nightmare at the start notwithstanding (it's power has lessened over time because of Rod Serling ripping it off endlessly in "The Twilight Zone") "Wild Strawberries" is enthralling Bergman goodness for noobs (like me) and veterans alike. And I must have been blind the first time I saw this but, on this repeat viewing, the beauty and screen presence of Bibi Andersson just mesmerized me. Ingrid Thulin too; what an attractive pair of women! =P~

Ashirg

#17 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Strange that "Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman" and "Behind-the-scenes footage shot by Bergman" does not say "Exclusive to blu-ray".

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm

While the behind the scenes footage might be newly released, don't forget Ashirg that the Bergman introduction is likely going to be the one with Marie Nyreröd and therefore has been available for a long time in the Fanny and Alexander DVD boxset (there was a whole disc dedicated to them).

krnash

#19 Post by krnash » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm

In-depth review by Tooze.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... erries.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hearthesilence

#20 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 pm

The old DVD transfer was very good, so some of those shots are an improvement only because of the higher resolution, not because of a better transfer, but damn, the frontal CU of Sjöstrom is quite a bit better in terms of detail.

aox

#21 Post by aox » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

hearthesilence wrote:The old DVD transfer was very good, so some of those shots are an improvement only because of the higher resolution, not because of a better transfer, but damn, the frontal CU of Sjöstrom is quite a bit better in terms of detail.
Absolutely

Incredible

A man stayed-put

#22 Post by A man stayed-put » Thu May 30, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm not usually one for paying much attention to screengrabs, but if this is anything like the improvement shown on Beaver it's pretty spectacular. The previous Criterion B/W Bergman Blu's have been tremendous also so this looks like continuing the trend.

manicsounds

#23 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 am

aox

#24 Post by aox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 am

I am sure I have said this about countless films on this board, but the BD of this film is a revelation.

The only true shock is that I am surprised how over-exposed the negative is in some scenes.

zedz

#25 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm

That bleached-out look (I'm assuming you're talking about some of the dream sequences) has always been there as a deliberate effect to distinguish those scenes from normal 'reality'. It's a feature, not a bug.

Though when you saw dupey 16mm reductions of the film, it's a feature that almost turned the film into white-on-white abstraction for several minutes.