891 La poison

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
dwk

Re: 891 La poison

#26 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm

La beaver and the "More" is
• Cineaste De Notre Temps (1:06:53)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#27 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Not sure how Gary is able to see the Criterion image as "richer and looked improved on my system" while it shares the same restoration.

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 am

I'm not the only struggling in trying to distinguish visual superiority of Criterion's release?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#29 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

TMDaines wrote:I'm not the only struggling in trying to distinguish visual superiority of Criterion's release?
I don't think so.

FrauBlucher

#30 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 pm

knives

#31 Post by knives » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:27 pm

This is certainly the best film Criterion has released of Guitry, but only in the sense it shows him having learnt some basic skills and not appearing as a character himself. This is not a good movie. It is also filled to the brim with ridiculous filler like a law conversation half an hour in that does nothing for the film except make it less interesting. The worst of these comes first. Compromising nearly a full tenth of the film it features Guitry doing the one thing he does: talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and then I died and talking and talking and talking. He essentially fellates the whole cast and crew in the form of the title credits only without whatever interest the suggests.

Like I said before this shows some basic talent as a film and has enjoyable moments (I'd even go so far as to disagree with the above and say this is a two joke film), but the pacing murders it. For example there's a theoretically very funny scene where Simon is explaining the crime to a lawyer and it is done in a matter of fact way with suggestions of how best to tell the tale. This is a very funny idea, but the execution is terrible.