1140 Buck and the Preacher

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1140 Buck and the Preacher

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm

Buck and the Preacher

With his rousingly entertaining directorial debut, Sidney Poitier helped rewrite the history of the western, bringing Black heroes to a genre in which they had always been sorely underrepresented. Combining boisterous buddy comedy with blistering, Black Power–era political fury, Poitier and a marvelously mischievous Harry Belafonte star as a tough and taciturn wagon master and an unscrupulous, pistol-packing "preacher," who join forces in order to take on the white bounty hunters threatening a westward-bound caravan of recently freed enslaved people. A superbly crafted revisionist landmark, Buck and the Preacher subverts Hollywood conventions at every turn and reclaims the western genre in the name of Black liberation.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• New interview with Mia Mask, author of Black Rodeo: A History of the African American Western
• Behind-the-scenes footage featuring actor-director Sidney Poitier and actor Harry Belafonte
• Interviews with Poitier and Belafonte from 1972 episodes of Soul! and The Dick Cavett Show
• New interview with Gina Belafonte, daughter of Harry Belafonte
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by critic Aisha Harris

therewillbeblus

Re: 1140 Buck and the Preacher

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:32 am

This was pretty fun! It doesn't revolutionize the western in the ways I expected it to attempt from cursory research on all the civil rights and African-American cultural nods sewn into the picture, but that winds up being a strength rather than a weakness or perceived failure. The casting of two black leads is certainly novel, but even the plot touching on race relations with Native Americans has been done countless times before, here adding a third race group which is ultimately less integral to some absent didactic thematic focus than it is a narrative construct to reinforce collectivist attitudes already found in every other genre entry. The film operates within familiar terrain, adopting traditional western tropes and story functions and tweaking them only to include a universal message on community which can relate to humanism between races as much as it can serve as a pronouncement of the specific importance of black power brotherhood in united action. The key to the film's success is that it accomplishes both in surprisingly toned-down measures, leaving room for more shades of color, capitalizing on its social concerns while managing to dig its teeth firmly into juicy populist material.

Poitier channels his passionately personal thematic intent in the same entertaining fashion as your typical lighthearted, gratifying western, with a dual purpose alluding to and reinforcing real movements just as much as it leans into leisurely action fare and non-categorical or separatist characterization. This would be a mistake to read as assimilation or All Lives Matter 'blood-is-blood' messaging, but by striking a balance between fearlessly acknowledging the blackness of the characters as they relate to one another and their social environment, and proceeding to flesh out their personalities and dynamic dimensions as broadly generic human beings, this in many ways serves as a more effectively progressive product than it would if loudly pitched as a uniformed but thinly-laced edgy Important Film. That kind of objective could accidentally undercut its positive intentions with other'ing delineations, segregating races under misperceived conditions of the narrative thrust, especially in a genre oft resting on pitting black-and-white (not literally, read: all-or-nothing) groups against one another for the prize of familiar, endorsed morality. It's a deliberate film, and the rare one that triumphantly has its cake and its eats too. I don't mean to indicate that Poitier sugarcoats or shelters his communications, but that they are both particular and inclusive, never risking esoteric or alienating contexts to digest without disturbance, nor compromising the drives behind his vision.

Also, the movie is worth watching if only for a barely-recognizable Harry Belafonte, who remains a suspicious character for a solid chunk of the narrative yet captivates us with enigmatic charm as a co-lead all the while! His scenery-chewing is one of the main reasons I can put this in the recommend category. I'm not sure it'll be all that memorable tomorrow, but it's definitely a film I'd throw on again when I want to watch an economically-built, never-boring B-western, and to dig into the extras which I'm sure draw all sorts of significant connections that make the film much richer than what's obvious on the surface.

FrauBlucher

#3 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:06 pm

knives

#4 Post by knives » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:07 pm

Guess I’m the only other one curious about this, but will second everything blus said. Despite a radical opening title card the film rests its virtues on just being a good western like something Delmer Daves would have made. Also Belefonte really has never been better and I really wish he was given more opportunities to go this wild. It’s much better than his usual schtick.

Mr Sausage

Buck and the Preacher (Sidney Poitier, 1972)

#5 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 01, 2023 7:40 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, May 15th

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

therewillbeblus

Re: Buck and the Preacher (Sidney Poitier, 1972)

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 01, 2023 11:54 am

I'm really excited to see this one get discussed. Here's my writeup from the main thread, which I think will help inform my discussion questions below:
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:32 am
This was pretty fun! It doesn't revolutionize the western in the ways I expected it to attempt from cursory research on all the civil rights and African-American cultural nods sewn into the picture, but that winds up being a strength rather than a weakness or perceived failure. The casting of two black leads is certainly novel, but even the plot touching on race relations with Native Americans has been done countless times before, here adding a third race group which is ultimately less integral to some absent didactic thematic focus than it is a narrative construct to reinforce collectivist attitudes already found in every other genre entry. The film operates within familiar terrain, adopting traditional western tropes and story functions and tweaking them only to include a universal message on community which can relate to humanism between races as much as it can serve as a pronouncement of the specific importance of black power brotherhood in united action. The key to the film's success is that it accomplishes both in surprisingly toned-down measures, leaving room for more shades of color, capitalizing on its social concerns while managing to dig its teeth firmly into juicy populist material.

Poitier channels his passionately personal thematic intent in the same entertaining fashion as your typical lighthearted, gratifying western, with a dual purpose alluding to and reinforcing real movements just as much as it leans into leisurely action fare and non-categorical or separatist characterization. This would be a mistake to read as assimilation or All Lives Matter 'blood-is-blood' messaging, but by striking a balance between fearlessly acknowledging the blackness of the characters as they relate to one another and their social environment, and proceeding to flesh out their personalities and dynamic dimensions as broadly generic human beings, this in many ways serves as a more effectively progressive product than it would if loudly pitched as a uniformed but thinly-laced edgy Important Film. That kind of objective could accidentally undercut its positive intentions with other'ing delineations, segregating races under misperceived conditions of the narrative thrust, especially in a genre oft resting on pitting black-and-white (not literally, read: all-or-nothing) groups against one another for the prize of familiar, endorsed morality. It's a deliberate film, and the rare one that triumphantly has its cake and its eats too. I don't mean to indicate that Poitier sugarcoats or shelters his communications, but that they are both particular and inclusive, never risking esoteric or alienating contexts to digest without disturbance, nor compromising the drives behind his vision.

Also, the movie is worth watching if only for a barely-recognizable Harry Belafonte, who remains a suspicious character for a solid chunk of the narrative yet captivates us with enigmatic charm as a co-lead all the while! His scenery-chewing is one of the main reasons I can put this in the recommend category. I'm not sure it'll be all that memorable tomorrow, but it's definitely a film I'd throw on again when I want to watch an economically-built, never-boring B-western, and to dig into the extras which I'm sure draw all sorts of significant connections that make the film much richer than what's obvious on the surface.
1.a) Given Sidney Poitier's documented motivations to create a progressive 'black' western, how do you perceive his success or failure in this area? Does he achieve progressiveness through producing a standard western to objectively demonstrate that black and white western characters can coexist under the same formula, rather than hijack a radical subjective agenda that may have 'other'd white audiences under a new template? Or does he play it too safe, and by not making a film radical 'enough', underplay the historical importance of his goal with a standard revisionist western that doesn't necessarily stand out amongst its era?

b) In what ways was this an impossible position to be in, judged by a diverse critical pool of audiences? (i.e. If this film stood out, it might attract more eyes, but alienate non-black audiences from seeing black faces in typical-white garb; if it doesn't, it risks being forgotten by many non-black audiences, but sends a message that modes of behavior/humanity does not change with skin color)... which then leads to another side of this question:

c) Who is this film for, and what is its intention? Is it for black audiences to have a movie of this genre to call 'theirs', or is it formally didactic to show white audiences that race is a social construct when it comes to differentiating humanness? And so, depending on how one reads its intention.. does the film come down more on the side of "color doesn't matter" or proudly declaring that it does, or does that depend on the audience it's preaching to?

2. Given your experience with Harry Belafonte's persona, how does this film enrich or challenge your notions?