428 Blast of Silence

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
FrauBlucher

Re: 428 Blast of Silence

#76 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:51 pm
With the depletion of the remaining DVD stock of Blast of Silence during the latest Flash Sale (now listed as CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE), now maybe we’ll finally see the new restoration in the 2.0:1 aspect ratio discussed by Lee Kline above.

It’s scheduled to show at this year’s Cannes Festival, so it can’t be long now.
The DVD is now listed as available. :( ...But hopefully it doesn't mean anything and we'll still get it sooner rather than later

FrauBlucher

#77 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:35 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm
DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:51 pm
With the depletion of the remaining DVD stock of Blast of Silence during the latest Flash Sale (now listed as CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE), now maybe we’ll finally see the new restoration in the 2.0:1 aspect ratio discussed by Lee Kline above.

It’s scheduled to show at this year’s Cannes Festival, so it can’t be long now.
The DVD is now listed as available. :( ...But hopefully it doesn't mean anything and we'll still get it sooner rather than later
This is ridiculous. It's now listed as unavailable again.

FrauBlucher

#78 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:15 pm

This has been listed as Currently Unavailable for 5 months. I don't ever recall a title being unavailable for this long. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the long anticipated upgrade and possible UHD gets announced Sept for a December release. Which would be appropriate as the films narrative takes place over a Christmas week

therewillbeblus

#79 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:50 pm

I think there are titles who have been listed that way for longer. Not sure how long Princess Bride was before the upgrade, but The Flowers of St. Francis has been unavailable for a while - and we know it had a recent resto, so I think Criterion will just keep these things listed that way until they decide to upgrade, if ever. If we see them go to OOP, it’s probably a sign that they decided not to bother upgrading or rights lapsed, triggering a conscious action to go update the page accordingly. Otherwise I take the lack of updated info to mean nothing more than it’s not a priority/on their mind right now

brundlefly

#80 Post by brundlefly » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:51 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:15 pm
This has been listed as Currently Unavailable for 5 months. I don't ever recall a title being unavailable for this long. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the long anticipated upgrade and possible UHD gets announced Sept for a December release. Which would be appropriate as the films narrative takes place over a Christmas week
Their Jean Painlevé collection has been "Currently Unavailable" for years.

FrauBlucher

#81 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:32 pm

Lee Kline did say it was coming. So this has a better chance than most currently unavailable titles

FrauBlucher

#82 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:01 pm

Blast of Silence is getting an upgrade. A trailer and extra screenshots have been uploaded and it looks great

DeprongMori

#83 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:04 am

Can somebody get their calipers out and check whether the aspect ratio of the video clip is the rumored 2.0:1 that Lee Kline talked about on the Dead Pixel podcast?

In any case, it’s definitely not the 1.33 of the Criterion DVD.

diamonds

#84 Post by diamonds » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:24 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:04 am
Can somebody get their calipers out and check whether the aspect ratio of the video clip is the rumored 2.0:1 that Lee Kline talked about on the Dead Pixel podcast?

In any case, it’s definitely not the 1.33 of the Criterion DVD.
The screenshots are closer to 1.85:1 (1688x900), which is what Kline said looked correct despite the Universal documentation saying 2.0:1.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#85 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:19 pm

FrauBlucher

#86 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:34 pm

So we are getting two aspect ratios. That's cool...
New 4K digital restoration presented in two aspect ratios, 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)

ryannichols7

#87 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm

it's great when they still do DVD->BD upgrades but I don't think they've added a single feature on one yet. surely there could've been more to work with here? when Indicator, Kino, and Arrow are loading their noir films with commentaries, this would've been a great one for an Imogen Sara Smith or Eddie Mueller track. I know the focus is on the new transfer (and I do like the dual aspect ratio offering, as with For All Mankind, but it's still light

Maltic

#88 Post by Maltic » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:42 pm

WAC with a lower PQ batting average

teddyleevin

#89 Post by teddyleevin » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:26 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
it's great when they still do DVD->BD upgrades but I don't think they've added a single feature on one yet. surely there could've been more to work with here? when Indicator, Kino, and Arrow are loading their noir films with commentaries, this would've been a great one for an Imogen Sara Smith or Eddie Mueller track. I know the focus is on the new transfer (and I do like the dual aspect ratio offering, as with For All Mankind, but it's still light
On the Supporting Characters podcast, Imogen Sara Smith said that Eddie stopped wanting to do them and would pass them on to her and then she freely admits that she much prefers doing video features and interviews to audio commentaries. I wonder if it's simply a matter of these folks declining them more often than they used to (Smith was doing so many for Kino that I can imagine the burnout).

ryannichols7

#90 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:11 am

teddyleevin wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:26 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
On the Supporting Characters podcast, Imogen Sara Smith said that Eddie stopped wanting to do them and would pass them on to her and then she freely admits that she much prefers doing video features and interviews to audio commentaries. I wonder if it's simply a matter of these folks declining them more often than they used to (Smith was doing so many for Kino that I can imagine the burnout).
I picked those two cause they were the first that came to mind. that's genuinely surprising about ISS - she's terrific at commentaries and I think the format suits her, rather surprised Criterion hadn't comissioned one from her yet. I could've chosen any number of people from the Indicator noir sets - the point stands, this is a film that would've had a pretty good track had it been released by any other label, helping add to the value of paying more for it (cause a KLSC release would've cost me half the price, even at 50% off). I would've even taken a video essay, or anything scholarly, but instead nothing new, after such a long wait. I'm glad it's getting the upgrade, especially as many of us worry about the label neglecting DVD->BD upgrades, but there could be so much more here
Maltic wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:42 pm
WAC with a lower PQ batting average
and higher pricing. maybe worse cover art sometimes...

FrauBlucher

#91 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:15 am

FrauBlucher

#92 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:34 pm
So we are getting two aspect ratios. That's cool...
New 4K digital restoration presented in two aspect ratios, 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)
Has anyone watched this and decided which aspect ratio they prefer?

TechnicolorAcid

#93 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:22 pm

Looking at the Beaver caps, it looks like 1.33:1 leaves more headroom than 1.85:1 so I would say it depends on your preference for headspace.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#94 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:24 pm

Screencaps aren't a good way to judge. You need to watch the thing in motion

FrauBlucher

#95 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:00 am

Yeah, I don’t really care about screen caps as the final indicator. You have to watch it. I have the disc. I watched the supps first. I’ll probably get to the film the next day or two. I think I’ll watch the original version first.