Carlotta Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nicolas

Re: Carlotta Releases

#376 Post by nicolas » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:07 pm

fiendishthingy wrote:Here are more details on the Eustache set.
Criterion’s Akerman set has a combined runtime of 665 minutes and the Eustache has 802, yet Carlotta and FiM gave their films the double amount of discs and with a master encoder working on this. If this isn’t telling about which label prefers actual quality, I don’t know. The comparison is especially interesting because both directors have one very long film in their respective collections that takes up an entire disc. Can’t wait for the Eustache set!!

dvdglr

#377 Post by dvdglr » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm

What’s the likelihood of English subs on the Carlotta release? I’m very excited for this set so with the release being soon + the superior encode, I’d purchase this over the Criterion release (who knows when that’ll even come out).

I’ve only seen Mother and the Whore, though managed to see it twice on 35mm over the last several years. The last time I saw it at BAMPFA, their print was interesting as there was a difference in the English subs versus the print I saw previously. If memory serves right, there may have also been a scene or two in that print that wasn’t in the print I saw at Alamo SF back in 2016. Does anyone here know about these differences?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#378 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:06 pm

dvdglr wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm
What’s the likelihood of English subs on the Carlotta release?
None :
6 BD 50 • MASTERS HAUTE DÉFINITION • 1080/24p • ENCODAGE AVC • Version Française DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 / Audiodescription Dolby Digital 2.0 • Sous-Titres Sourds et Malentendants

furbicide

#379 Post by furbicide » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:47 pm

It’s such a pity about the lack of English subtitles (not that we ever expected this to have them). I have no doubt that the Criterion set will be as good – at least, it better be! – but it’s maddening to have something like this so close but just out of reach.

MichaelB

#380 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:12 pm

Sous-titres sourds et malentendants is good enough for me. In fact, in some cases I actively prefer them, as I’d rather have a transcript than a translation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#381 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:14 pm

It also means the Oppo trick will work to bring in your own English subtitles

MichaelB

#382 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:19 pm

swo17 wrote:It also means the Oppo trick will work to bring in your own English subtitles
Absolutely. Although if we’re talking BD rather than UHD I can easily rip the disc and add a subtitle track even if one isn’t already present, as I had to do with a couple of the Tavernier discs.

Rupert Pupkin

#383 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:12 pm

Tenia, do you know if Carlotta plans after the release of the box set to release individually, as a single blu-ray release "La Maman et la putain" ?

Was initially a UHD of the new restoration of "La Maman et la putain" planned ? There is a "2160" floating around. If Criterion could release a UHD+Blu-Ray release [-o< that would be awesome! (after all for Antoine Doinel restoration Carlotta/Mk2 released it on UHD too). The restoration was a pleasant surprise for me (with the "new" scene inserted or "restored"; some black & white scenes looks like they are lacking deep dark level but I guess that it could have been worst. A lot of scenes are in the dark so I guess that was not easy to deal with... but it looks more like a grey palette to me than a black & white palette.
I was able to see "Les petites amoureuses" retorde and I'm afraid that I'm not at ease for the color grading (the DVD looks ok).

Do Criterion still has the right and plans to release "La Maman et la putain" ? Do you think they will release as well a Jean Eustache box set ?

furbicide

#384 Post by furbicide » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 am

My understanding is that we're all assuming they'll be doing a box set because Janus Films presented a complete retrospective of Eustache films (including Le cochon, which isn't in the Carlotta set) last year.

I guess, in theory, it could be more like the old Akerman Eclipse set / Jeanne Dielman situation where they pull the highest-profile title out for a solo release and then package the more "minor" titles together, but that doesn't seem to be the way Criterion has been approaching stuff like this for a long time now.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#385 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:12 pm
Tenia, do you know if Carlotta plans after the release of the box set to release individually, as a single blu-ray release "La Maman et la putain" ?

Was initially a UHD of the new restoration of "La Maman et la putain" planned ? There is a "2160" floating around. If Criterion could release a UHD+Blu-Ray release, that would be awesome! (after all for Antoine Doinel restoration Carlotta/Mk2 released it on UHD too).
I have no idea about an individual release from Carlotta though I doubt it.
They never announced a UHD of any of the 4k restored movies. I highly doubt there's a sales potential good enough in France to begin with.

Rupert Pupkin

#386 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:08 pm

It's sad that "Mes petites amoureuses" (this is the 2022 restoration) suffers from the cyan-yellowish-greenish color grading; I was since worse in color, but it's difficult for me to get used to this "unformisation" of color grading.

The WEB (Mubi ?) release came with English subs; they seem to be accurate to me although some political statement by Alexandre are not constantly translated : I was not from this "era" but I know Jacques Chaban-Delmas and I often laugh about some political quotes here and there or Alexandre remarked about Guy Lux et Pierre Belmard on TV after deciding to not go on cinema to see the last E.Pietro movie.
I'm still figure out how many King Crimson albums there are in the room : we can see clearly the mythic "In The Court Of The Crimson King" but there are also the "In The Wake In The Poseidon" album (which oddly has an old man who looks like Eric Rohmer); I have the feeling that I can see the front artwork of "More" Pink Floyd but I'm not totally sure.

Perhaps he was a bit younger and a kind of romantic guy who fell on earth not at the right era, but to me, Alexandre character was very close to J-P Leaud in "Masculin Feminin" (despite what Truffaut said to Godard about it).

Stefan Andersson

#387 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:18 pm

tenia reviews Carlotta´s 6-film Ozu box:
https://testsbluray.com/2024/03/21/test ... u-inedits/

One of the extras is a 1963 TV film co-written by Ozu, taken from an upscaled kinescope: Seishun hôkago.