Olive Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Olive Films

#1851 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Olive is somehow not dead after all, will be releasing a special edition of Roger Corman's masterpiece A Bucket of Blood
Makes sense. All of their signature releases have come out Fall/Early Winter and then radio silence for the rest of the year. I think they've done 4 each year since starting the signature line.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1852 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 am

Specs:
NEW 4K REMASTER OF THE FILM
"Creation Is. All Else is Not" – Roger Corman on A Bucket of Blood
"Call Me Paisley" – Dick and Lainie Miller on A Bucket of Blood
Audio commentary by Elijah Drenner, director of That Guy Dick Miller
Archival audio interview with screenwriter Charles B. Griffith
"Bits of Bucket" – Visual essay comparing the original script to the finished film
Essay by Caelum Vatnsdal, author of You Don't Know Me, But You Love Me: The Lives of Dick Miller
Rare prologue from German release
Super 8 "digest" version
Theatrical trailer
German theatrical trailer
Gallery of newly-discovered on-set photography
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

ianthemovie

#1853 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 am

I saw that cover art and got confused that this was actually a release from AGFA.

yoloswegmaster

#1854 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Eat Drink Man Woman has now gone OOP.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1855 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 am

the Bells of St Mary's, a movie no one likes, is the next Olive Signature release

whaleallright

#1856 Post by whaleallright » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:14 pm

On the contrary:
Leo McCarey's 1945 sequel to his hugely successful Going My Way (1944), with Bing Crosby back as Father O'Malley, the pipe-smoking priest of the New York slums. Going My Way is probably the worst of McCarey's major films—obvious, coy, fearsomely sentimental—but Bells is one of his finest, a film so subtle in its romantic exposition that it's halfway over before you realize what it's about: a priest in love with a nun. Seldom has a sequel so completely transcended its predecessor: McCarey's invisible hand, nudging the narrative more than directing it, turns looming cliches into the most refined, elusive feeling.

ianthemovie

#1857 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:24 pm

I would agree with Kehr that it's an improvement on Going My Way, even if that's not saying much.

I'd have to double-check but I believe Robin Wood (a McCarey apologist) wrote approvingly of it, too, in Sexual Politics and Narrative Cinema.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1858 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:53 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:14 pm
On the contrary:
Leo McCarey's 1945 sequel to his hugely successful Going My Way (1944), with Bing Crosby back as Father O'Malley, the pipe-smoking priest of the New York slums. Going My Way is probably the worst of McCarey's major films—obvious, coy, fearsomely sentimental—but Bells is one of his finest, a film so subtle in its romantic exposition that it's halfway over before you realize what it's about: a priest in love with a nun. Seldom has a sequel so completely transcended its predecessor: McCarey's invisible hand, nudging the narrative more than directing it, turns looming cliches into the most refined, elusive feeling.
I'm not even clicking on that link to find out who wrote that, it's one of the wrongest things I've ever read

NWRdr4

#1859 Post by NWRdr4 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:24 pm
I'd have to double-check but I believe Robin Wood (a McCarey apologist) wrote approvingly of it, too, in Sexual Politics and Narrative Cinema.
I’ll confirm this. Wood devoted an entire section of his essay on Leo McCarey to the film, writing about how it “occupies a privileged position in the McCarey oeuvre.”

I have nothing interesting to add to what Kehr and Wood already wrote (and Wood’s entire essay is well worth seeking out to those who haven’t yet read it) except to say that there’s at least three of us, then, who like the film! :wink:

whaleallright

#1860 Post by whaleallright » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:56 am

I would add that a Gary Giddins commentary is a good reason to get this version, whether or not you love the movie. He always has interesting things to say—about classic Hollywood in general, and Bing Crosby in particular.

captveg

#1861 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Signature Series BD of Hair (1979) coming on 4/28/20

kcota17

#1862 Post by kcota17 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Glad to see the Signature Series is still alive, bringing more hope each day for a blu-ray of Face to Face.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1863 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 06, 2020 12:06 am

Rather exhaustive extras for Hair
NEW RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Audio commentary by assistant director Michael Hausman and actor Treat Williams
"The Tribe Remembers" –with actors Beverly D'Angelo, Don Dacus, Ellen Foley, Annie Golden, John Savage, and Dorsey Wright
"Making Chance Work: Choreographing Hair"–with choreographer Twyla Tharp
"Cutting Hair" – with editors Lynzee Klingman and Stanley Warnow
"HairStyle" –with production designer Stuart Wurtzel
"Artist, Teacher, Mentor: Remembering Milos Forman" –with director James Mangold
Essay by critic Sheila O'Malle
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
What, no Nic Ray interview?!?!

senseabove

#1864 Post by senseabove » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am

Olive's got a select "Under $12" sale at Deep Discount that stacks with the site-wide GREATWHITE 10% off code.

Think I'll finally pick up Huston's Let There Be Light, so any other buried gems in there I should check out among those?

These caught my eye:
Appointment With Crime
Forever Female
Stranger on the Prowl
The Undesirable

therewillbeblus

#1865 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 am

You may already have it, but Keep Your Right Up is great if you enjoy Godard's 80s 'second wave' period. I'm a big fan of both Ramrod and That Cold Day in the Park but they have better releases in the UK (the latter is also DVD only here, though cheap). The Hartley set are two of his lesser films if I remember correctly (for such a unique filmmaker, the fact that I don't remember them might say something) but I haven't downright hated anything from him either. And I can never recommend Wenders' The End of Violence safely, but I got a lot out of it and would urge you to seek it out if you enjoy any of his shambolic late-period fiction.

beamish14

#1866 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks for the heads-up about this sale! Anyway, I'd suggest the following:

-The Outsider (terrific, barely-released Paramount film dealing with Northern Ireland and the IRA with a great late-career turn from
Sterling Hayden)

-Such Good Friends (Preminger)

-Breaking Glass

-The Men's Club (Medak)

-Flirt (Hartley)

-Carrington

-Dark Blue

-Making Mr. Right (Seidelman)

I LOVE That Cold Day in the Park, and as I mentioned in the Altman thread, the UCLA Film & Television Archive has preserved a number of
deleted scenes from it that I really hope are added to a future release. Maybe one day Criterion or another company will license it from Paramount
and give it the stacked release befitting the major work that it is.

Ovader

#1867 Post by Ovader » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:43 am

Deep Discount also has GREATWHITE coupon to get a 10% discount on top of the sale. In spite of all that I get a lower cost using the Canadian WowHD site since I live in Canada.

dwk

#1868 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am

Rio Grande is the next Olive Signature. Release date is November 17th.

FrauBlucher

#1869 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with Olive? They're saying on the other forum that there are Olive titles going OOP and that it's the beginning of the end. I haven't seen any thing about this anywhere else. Could they be losing the Republic Films?

ianungstad

#1870 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:46 pm

There's some speculation that the Republic titles might be going to Arrow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1871 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:27 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm
Does anyone know what's going on with Olive? They're saying on the other forum that there are Olive titles going OOP and that it's the beginning of the end. I haven't seen any thing about this anywhere else. Could they be losing the Republic Films?
Given that Olive's business model has been coopted and expanded in recent years by Kino Lorber Studio Classics, I imagine they just can't stay competitive (and haven't even tried for years now after that initial couple years of floodgates being opened) -- it wouldn't surprise me if KLSC was able to outbid Olive even if they tried to stay in the game

Feego

#1872 Post by Feego » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:48 am

It appears that Olive Films has indeed become defunct. While Olive released some big titles that have since been picked up by other major labels (e.g. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Cooley High, etc.), they also released some pretty niche titles that may hold interest to some and won't be picked up for some time, if ever.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1873 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:42 pm

Well that's too bad.

And sent me on a panic buy for 10 titles:
Odds against tomorrow
Pork chop hill
Pursued
Try and get me
Sands of Iwo Jima
Kiss tomorrow goodbye
The king and four queens
Cry danger
Dark command
Distant drums

Several of these are Raoul Walsh films, some of which may not be great, but that's still a filmography I haven't explored yet.

Someone made a list of the catalog on IMDB in 2020.

therewillbeblus

#1874 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:53 pm

I definitely regret not taking advantage of DD’s recent Olive sales now!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1875 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:03 pm

Highly recommend the Red Squirrel