Mubi

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
jazzo

Re: Mubi

#176 Post by jazzo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm

Thanks for checking, though

therewillbeblus

#177 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Reprise is an incredible discovery- arguably even more of a sharply-concocted and executed script than The Worst Person in the World. Its novelistic, sprawling Russian-doll narration, obsessively attaching to and venturing down shiny rabbit holes of incidental perceptions or rich, cavernous histories -only to jump back to the present scene or onto the soul of a new character- mimics My Sex Life... or How I Got Into an Argument's labile structure. Trier's more grounded intentions to the central dramas provide a sober purification, disrupting the messily ethereal ethos Desplechin cultivates over time in his own chaotic mind and heart.

Anyways, nothing is as good as the Desplechin, but this is a terrific depiction of growing through one's 20s. Trier uses unique circumstances to express universal ones, like most great stories in this medium. The eclectic tonality was primed here for the director's latest masterpiece, and it's woven into the fabric of this multicharacter slice-of-life without chapters to organize the psychological and social-emotional ailments, diamonds of personal significance amidst seemingly banal gestures, and evocations of the sublime- all including, but not limited to, the power in shared experiences, through art, transitional objects, and corporeally-gravitated fantasy. He even finds space to imbue surreal vehicles into certain moments with profound effectiveness, and without the budget he'd need to actualize these visual ideas in the future. An impressive first feature. I hope this set helps more people discover it.

Finch

#178 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:23 pm

MUBI's next UK BD scheduled for late June is The Five Devils (Amazon pre-order here) which, I think, got excellent reviews.

Finch

#179 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:45 am

The Settlers and Perfect Days are getting UK BDs, with listings showing up on Amazon (those December 2024 dates have got to be placeholders).

What A Disgrace

#180 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 am

Kaurismaki's latest film is also getting a Blu-ray release, due out in two weeks.

Finch

#181 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Yes, Fallen Leaves is getting a dual territory release but I don't know how many other titles that applies to.

nicolas

#182 Post by nicolas » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Yes, Fallen Leaves is getting a dual territory release but I don't know how many other titles that applies to.
Decision to Leave and Passages spring to mind. Priscilla will also get a MUBI BD & UHD in Germany alongside the UK.

Aunt Peg

#183 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:26 am

Didn't know where else to put this but Quentin Dupieux's Yannick (2023) will start streaming on MUBI 5 April in some territories.

ryannichols7

#184 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:53 pm

nicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm
Finch wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Decision to Leave and Passages spring to mind. Priscilla will also get a MUBI BD & UHD in Germany alongside the UK.
the first three mentioned are held by Mubi in the US as well, with Priscilla being A24 in the US and Perfect Days being NEON. I suspect the latter will be getting a Criterion release, given Criterion's relationship with Wenders, and how it's noticably absent from disc (despite the Oscar nomination)