Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1876 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:49 pm

Coming June 18th!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master – From a 2K Scan of the 35mm interpositive!

Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence (1984) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle, moderated by filmmaker Michael Varrati
• US and International Trailers

Color 90 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG-13
Screen greats Donald Sutherland (The Great Train Robbery), Faye Dunaway (The Thomas Crown Affair) and Christopher Plummer (The Silent Partner) co-star in Ordeal by Innocence, a sizzling mystery by Agatha Christie (Death on the Nile). After a two-year expedition into Antarctica, Dr. Arthur Calgary (Sutherland) travels back to England to return his friend Jack Argyle’s address book, which Jack had left in Arthur’s car before his departure. Jack, however, is dead, executed after being framed for murder. Calgary has proof of his innocence; he was with Jack at the time of the murder. But why then does no one wish to reopen the case? Not Jack’s father (Plummer), not his secretary (Diana Quick, TV’s Brideshead Revisited), not his sister (Sarah Miles, White Mischief) or her husband (Ian McShane, Sexy Beast), not even Inspector Huish (Michael Elphick, The Element of Crime), the policeman in charge. Ordeal by Innocence is one ordeal you’re sure to enjoy! Directed by veteran British director Desmond Davis (Girl with Green Eyes, Smashing Time, Clash of the Titans).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin

#1877 Post by Calvin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Via R. Emmet Sweeney on Twitter:

FIRST NAME: CARMEN ('83), which will include JLG's short film CHANGER D'IMAGE ('82), a Kristen Yoonsoo essay, a Craig Keller audio commentary, and art by Ricky D'Ambrose.

DÉTECTIVE (1985), with selected scene commentary by James Quandt, a booklet essay by Nicolas Rapold, the original trailer, and art by Ricky D'Ambrose.

HÉLAS POUR MOI (1993), with audio commentary by Samm Deighan, booklet essay by Jordan Cronk, the original trailer, and reversible cover artwork by Ricky D'Ambrose.
Cover artShow
ImageImageImage
I wish there was more in the way of Godard short films on there (one per release would have been nice), but I'm incredibly excited for these. Hopefully they get Germany Year 90 Nine Zero to package with Alphaville.

I wonder if the lack of Passion means that Criterion have that one?

Kino Insider

#1878 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray June 18th from Kino Classics!

Three films by Jean-Luc Godard:
FIRST NAME: CARMEN (1983)
DÉTECTIVE (1985)
HÉLAS POUR MOI (1993)

FIRST NAME CARMEN Special Features:
*CHANGER D'IMAGE (1982, a short film by Jean-Luc Godard)
*Uncompressed 2.0 Mono French Audio Soundtrack
*Audio Commentary by Film Historian Craig Keller
*Booklet Essay by Film Critic Kristen Yoonsoo Kim
*Trailers
*Cover Artwork by Ricky D'Ambrose

DÉTECTIVE Special Features:
*Uncompressed 2.0 Stereo French Audio Soundtrack
*Selected Scene Audio Commentary by James Quandt, programmer for the TIFF Cinematheque
*Booklet essay by Nicolas Rapold, editor of Film Comment
*Trailers

HÉLAS POUR MOI Special Features:
*Audio Commentary by Film Critic Samm Deighan
*Booklet Essay by Film Critic Jordan Cronk
*Trailers
*Reversible Cover Artwork by Ricky D'Ambrose

beamish14

#1879 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Old Boyfriends is a major score and desperately in need of a wider audience. When I saw Joan Tewkesbury discussing it at the UCLA Film & Television Archive,
she said that it would be getting a theatrical re-release as well. Is Kino Lorber handling that, too? Fingers crossed that the disc has commentaries with both her and
Paul Schrader.

Thank you for putting out Britannia Hospital, too! I LOVE that film and Lindsay Anderson.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1880 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Where are the commentaries for the Godard films coming from? They weren't on the North American dvd pack. Are they from previously released European sources?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1881 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 pm

They, like many KL extras lately, are commissioned by KL. They don’t appear anywhere else

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1882 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:42 pm

Well then I'll echo the congrats to KL!

Glowingwabbit

#1883 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 am

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:02 pm
DÉTECTIVE Special Features:
*Selected Scene Audio Commentary by James Quandt, programmer for the TIFF Cinematheque
*Booklet essay by Nicolas Rapold, editor of Film Comment
*Trailers

HÉLAS POUR MOI Special Features:
*Audio Commentary by Film Critic Samm Deighan
*Booklet Essay by Film Critic Jordan Cronk
*Trailers
*Reversible Cover Artwork by Ricky D'Ambrose
Correct me if I'm wrong but Detective was Godard's first film in Stereo and this is the first time we are seeing both of these films in Stereo on home media? I know the Lionsgate dvd had them in Mono.

Big Ben

#1884 Post by Big Ben » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 am

Placed within Godard's oeuvre how are these films themselves? I'm under the impression that Godard's later films tend to be more divisive although I don't know how true that is.

WmS

#1885 Post by WmS » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:52 am

Last year I watched all of Godard's features & TV series (except for Histoire(s) because I ran out of time), ten for the first time. Of these three I'd seen Carmen twice; Detective and Helas were new to me. Carmen I think it one of his better 80s features-- it has an antic energy that reminded me of Les Carabiniers or Bande a Part on this viewing.

I was surprised how much I liked Detective, in large part for Jean-Pierre Leaud's performance; Helas I just loathed. Depardieu I found dreadful, just a shambling wreck, the story incomprehensible (late Godard!) without the richness of allusion or visual layering that makes that period interesting. I think it's one of his worst movies. That said, I will get all three Blus and watch them again. I'm especially excited to see his short work of that period included-- hopefully someone will rescue Puissance de la Parole, and maybe Les Enfants Joue a la Russie and Grandeur and Decadence as well.

dda1996a

#1886 Post by dda1996a » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Where does it list his shorts?

WmS

#1887 Post by WmS » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:21 pm

The only one with a short included is First Name: Carmen, which has Changer d'Image as an extra. I'm just hoping that more of these become available.

Kino Insider

#1888 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Coming June 25th on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Wild Heart / Gone to Earth (1952/1950) with optional English subtitles

• Roadshow Edition of THE WILD HEART - 4K Restoration from the original camera negative
• GONE TO EARTH - Brand New Master - 2K Scan of the restored BFI interpositive in the UK - Additional DRS/Dirt Removal in the U.S.
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Troy Howarth THE WILD HEART
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan GONE TO EARTH
• Trailers for Since You Went Away, Duel in the Sun, Portrait of Jennie, Ruby Gentry, Indiscretion of an American Wife and A Farewell to Arms

Color 111/86 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Jennifer Jones (Portrait of Jennie) stars as the young, beguiling Hazel Woodus in 1897 Shropshire, England. More than the people around her, she loves and understands the wild animals of the countryside, especially her pet fox. Whenever she has problems, she turns to the book of spells and charms left to her by her gypsy mother. When dashing local squire Jack Reddin (David Farrar, Hour of Glory) begins to pursue Hazel—despite her marriage to Baptist minister Edward Marston (Cyril Cusack, Fahrenheit 451)—a struggle for her body and soul ensues. This special edition includes both the original 1950 film, Gone to Earth, and the Roadshow Edition of producer David O. Selznick’s (Duel in the Sun) 1952 re-edit, The Wild Heart. Produced, written and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger (The Red Shoes) and stunningly shot in color by Christopher Challis (A Shot in the Dark).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1889 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Props to you guys for delaying the previous announced release for years so as to track down suitable elements for both versions after reading the disappointed responses of those who wanted both

Kino Insider

#1890 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Coming June 25th!

Midnight Lace (1960) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 103 Minutes 2.00:1 Not Rated
Target for Temptation… or Terror! Screen legends Doris Day (Love Me or Leave Me) and Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady) star in this shocking Hitchcockian thriller wonderfully directed by David Miller (Sudden Fear). Kit Preston (Day) is the elegant newlywed wife of British financier Anthony Preston (Harrison). Shortly after moving to one of London’s wealthiest neighborhoods, Kit is threatened by an unknown party. The tension mounts as the menacing phone calls continue and her husband shows little concern, until Kit begins to doubt her own sanity and the motives of everyone around her. This nail-biting thriller sports a top-notch supporting cast including Myrna Loy (The Thin Man), John Gavin (Psycho), Roddy McDowall (Lord Love a Duck), Herbert Marshall (The Letter) and Anthony Dawson (Dial M for Murder).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#1891 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Props to you guys for delaying the previous announced release for years so as to track down suitable elements for both versions after reading the disappointed responses of those who wanted both
Thanks, it's been a very complicated and time consuming process.

Kino Insider

#1892 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Coming June 25th!

Thunder Bay (1953) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 103 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
A storm of excitement swirls around James Stewart (Broken Arrow, Rear Window) in this dynamic tale of adventurous wildcatters searching for black gold in the Gulf of Mexico. Dan Duryea (Foxfire) teams with Stewart as a pair of oil prospectors who must stand up to devastating hurricanes, dangerous love affairs and a hostile town of Cajun fishermen to strike pay dirt. The alluring Joanne Dru (Red River) co-stars as a Louisiana firebrand who fears Stewart’s exploration will destroy her way of life, but can’t help the attraction she feels for the magnetic fortune seeker. The great Anthony Mann (Bend of the River, Man of the West) directed this explosive adventure yarn with top-notch cinematography by William H. Daniels (Woman in Hiding). The sterling cast includes Gilbert Roland (The Bullfighter and the Lady), Jay C. Flippen (Man Without a Star) and Harry Morgan (The Ox-Bow Incident).

whaleallright

#1893 Post by whaleallright » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Seconded!

I suspect this film (even in the P&P-approved version) will disappoint some fans who hadn't yet seen it, but if you're looking for sheer Archers strangeness and ravishing Technicolor, it has both in abundance.

DeprongMori

#1894 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:56 am

Kino Insider wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Coming June 25th on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Wild Heart / Gone to Earth (1952/1950) with optional English subtitles

• Roadshow Edition of THE WILD HEART - 4K Restoration from the original camera negative
• GONE TO EARTH - Brand New Master - 2K Scan of the restored BFI interpositive in the UK - Additional DRS/Dirt Removal in the U.S.
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Troy Howarth THE WILD HEART
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan GONE TO EARTH
• Trailers for Since You Went Away, Duel in the Sun, Portrait of Jennie, Ruby Gentry, Indiscretion of an American Wife and A Farewell to Arms

Color 111/86 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Thank you so much for going back to the boards and really getting this right! It looks to be an incredible release.

Kino Insider

#1895 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Coming June 11th on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Girl Most Likely To... (1973) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Author Amanda Reyes and Film Historian/Author Kier-La Janisse

Color 74 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Stockard Channing (Grease) is Miriam Knight, an “ugly duckling” college girl who is mistreated by everyone, including her bubble-headed roommate and the callous campus jock. But after an accident causes her to undergo reconstructive surgery, Miriam emerges from behind the bandages a ravishing beauty. It’s payback time when she uses her new attractiveness to exact revenge on all those who wronged her. Ed Asner (TV’s Lou Grant) plays the police inspector who’s hot on the trail of the femme fatale. A dark comedy written by comedy legend Joan Rivers (Rabbit Test) and directed by TV veteran Lee Philips (On the Right Track), The Girl Most Likely to... will leave you in stitches. The strong supporting cast includes Jim Backus (TV’s Gilligan’s Island), Joe Flynn (The Strongest Man in the World), Chuck McCann (C.H.O.M.P.S.), Fred Grandy (TV’s The Love Boat), Larry Wilcox (TV’s CHiPs) and Reb Brown (Uncommon Valor).

Kino Insider

#1896 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Coming June 18th!

Mississippi Burning (1988) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 4K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Director Alan Parker
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 127 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Screen greats Gene Hackman (Unforgiven, The Package) and Willem Dafoe (Platoon, To Live and Die in L.A.) co-star in this masterpiece directed by legendary filmmaker Alan Parker (Midnight Express, Angel Heart). Mississippi Burning ranks as one of the most potent and insightful views of racial turmoil ever filmed. Nominated for six Oscars and winner of an Academy Award for Best Cinematography (Peter Biziou, The Truman Show), this emotionally charged film vividly captures a crucial chapter in American history. In Jessup County, 1964, as three civil rights activists drive down a desolate stretch of highway, headlights ominously draw near. Telling each other to stay calm, they have no way of knowing that in minutes they will disappear into the night and spark one of the most explosive murder investigations in history. Enter straight-laced Ward (Dafoe) and deceptively easy-going Anderson (Hackman). Can these two philosophically opposed FBI agents overcome their differences and uncover the chilling mystery of a small Ku Klux Klan-ridden community before it tears itself apart? The amazing cast includes Frances McDormand (Fargo), R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket), Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) and Michael Rooker (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer).

Noiradelic

#1897 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Saw Girl Most Likely To... as an ABC Movie of the week as a kid. Forgot all about it till I read the description. Couldn't have seen it the first time it was run because I was only seven -- probably saw it when I was 10-12.

Kino Insider

#1898 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Shazam!
Adventures of Captain Marvel!
Available and on Sale on DVD and Blu-ray!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 315900345/

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/4600

Gregory

#1899 Post by Gregory » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Kino Lorber wrote:Combining a wired dummy photographed against real backgrounds in natural sunlight, with spectacular take-off leaps and landings supplied by action ace David Sharpe, the final effects are still as fascinating today as they were in 1941.

Luke M

#1900 Post by Luke M » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:48 pm

Don't know if it's successful collusion or just random coincidence that DC and Marvel managed to put Shazam and Captain Marvel in theaters at the same time.