Re:Voir

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
furbicide

Re: Re:Voir

#51 Post by furbicide » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:14 am

Another early Hanoun film is out on DVD as of a couple of weeks ago (this one totally flew under my radar): October in Madrid (1967):

http://blog.re-voir.com/2019/09/sortie- ... adrid.html

dda1996a

#52 Post by dda1996a » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am

Anyone here versed enough to write a few words on Hanoun?

rockysds

#53 Post by rockysds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am

A ten film/disc Robert Kramer collection announced on Instagram for next year.

zedz

#54 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:12 pm

rockysds wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am
A ten film/disc Robert Kramer collection announced on Instagram for next year.
Just got a shipment from Re:Voir that included a postcard with a bit more information. It's a "Complete Works" package (26 films), and it seems to be coming out disc by disc, not as a box set. First disc (Guns / Naissance / La Peur) is out now.

dadaistnun

#55 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm

From their latest newsletter:
Re: Voir maintains part of its activity during the confinement period in order to allow you to watch films online, on our VOD platform, or on DVD, by ordering on our site.

To favor online viewing, we offer you a title from our collection every day via our VOD platform until March 31!

Come every day to watch the film(s) here: https://vod.re-voir.com/

Terms of use
1. Search the filmmaker / film available in the search bar
2. Click on the icon
3. Enter the following password: STAYHOME

Programming
March 20: Maya Deren, Meshes of the Afternoon > HERE
March 21: Jacques Perconte, Corps
March 22: Len Lye, Rythms
March 23: Holly Fisher, Short films
March 24: Philippe Garrel, La Cicatrice intérieure
March 25: Vivian Ostrovsky, Plunge 1&2
March 26: Marcel Hanoun, Une simple histoire
March 27: Sandy Ding, Night Awake
March 28: Patrick Bokanowski, Short films
March 29: Virgil Widrich, Short films
March 30: Jonas Mekas, Outtakes from the Life of a Happy Men
March 31: Maurice Lemaître: Films imaginaires

We would also like to offer our DVD/BluRays customers free shipping on their orders through the end of March. Simply enter the promo code #STAYHOME at checkout. This is limited to orders with standard La Poste shipping with a minimum purchase of 10€ and a maximum of 4 DVDs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Very legal & very cool

knives

#57 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Very much appreciated.

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 pm

As part of my isolation film festival, I'm making my way through last year's Re:Voir releases, so here's the first tranche of rations:

CORPS – Jacques Perconte
PAYSAGES – Jacques Perconte

Two volumes collecting the fascinating work of digital artist Perconte, whose aesthetic kind of boils down to “terrible digital artifacts, but pretty.” You’ve probably seen an example of his work in Holy Motors.

Corps is a DVD collection of earlier works. It’s grungier and lower definition, hence the format.

SNSZ: Visually, a lot of this looks like a DVD that even Facets would have been ashamed to put out: macroblocking-a-go-go, smeary pixellation. But it’s rather evocative: mostly in shades of blood (fresh red, scabbed brown, long-dried black). The imagery is organic but abstract, never quite coalescing into the representative, so there’s no way of knowing from simply watching the film what its source is. Sometimes it looks like traces of fire and smoke, sometimes like medical imaging. As a whole, it plays like a sequence of apparitions: a lo-fi electronic record of a psychic disturbance. This impression is greatly enhanced by a terrific electronic / industrial soundtrack of roaring, rustling and glitching.

Uaoen: A road movie, shot through the windscreen of a car as it goes deeper and deeper into a forest. From the start, the screen itself is foregrounded, interrupting the image, at first with raindrops, then with sunlit smears. As the journey progresses, the SD image deteriorates, so the journey into the forest also becomes a journey from representation to abstraction, the surface of the image eventually overwhelming the content. It’s a calm, beautiful, vaguely sinister progression.

ISZ: Microscopic / macroscopic imagery (resembling both a satellite weather map and a lab slide) that slowly, constantly changes, along with its colour tints. It’s the least compelling of the three films on the disc, but is nonetheless extremely elegant. A sophisticated screensaver?

Paysages is the BluRay companion disc of more recent Perconte works, and it’s quite dazzling.

Uishet: Uaoen revisited, to a certain extent, but this time it’s a river journey rather than a road one. Again, the compression and colours are pushed further and further into abstraction as we progress, and the greater definition and expanded technique of this film makes it much more psychedelic. The second part of the film balances representation and abstraction, slipping repeatedly between a recognizable reality and kaleidoscopic digital glitching.

Après le Feu: A third variation on the POV journey theme, and perhaps the best of the lot, this is a “phantom ride” taking us into a magical dayglo land (which tends to leave a digital residue on the screen). It’s a weird collision between 19th century spectacle and 21st century spectacle, leaving the bulk of cinema history out of the picture altogether.

Impressions: Perconte’s magnum opus, a three-quarter of an hour translation of Impressionist imagery into his own glitchy digital aesthetic (once again, we’re playing hopscotch with the last century). It’s broken up into chapters, which in turn have distinct sections, and it’s thus a little uneven, but the best of it is astounding. There’s an exquisite sequence in the 'Mediance' section where the screen is overtaken by eye-blasting greenery, which is then permeated / penetrated by distant motorways and railway lines. Later on, there’s a passing ship at night, leaving a glowing vapour trail that’s breathtaking. The abstract conclusion is really beautiful. Like all of these films, this has a great experimental soundtrack. They’re by various composers, but most are in the neighbourhood of Sigur Ros.

Chuva: This programme also ends with its slightest work. A moody grey seascape is swallowed up by rain, then slowly shifts into the digital realm with squirming impressionist blotches that mimic maggots mimicking Monet.

Both discs come with a revealing extra in which Perconte explains and demonstrates his techniques and processes.

LA CICATRICE INTERIEURE

Garrel’s early symbolist style here resembles a minimalist take on Pasolini’s mythic mode: symbolic actions occurring in stunning real-world locations (deserts in Egypt, New Mexico and Iceland). It’s visually striking (I have no idea what’s going on in this film, but it sure is purty), but I find it less engaging and varied that his earlier films in a similar mode like Le Revelateur.

The film would work a lot better if Nico were a better actor, but she’s godawful, and whenever she opens her mouth, it’s filled with Garrel’s awesomely dumb and pretentious dialogue. It’s actually surprising that, given how iconic she was, she doesn’t have more screen presence. The film is scored by several songs from her great album Desertshore, which remind us how much more commanding a presence she was musically than filmically.

When Pierre Clementi arrives halfway through the film, he brings with him a gravitas that the film desperately needs, even though he’s stark naked. The “Pierre Clementi in ‘Quest for Pants’” half of the film is way more effective. It has more narrative shape, less Nico, and the elemental Icelandic landscape is truly arresting.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#59 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Great write-ups, and please do review as many of these as you can before the end of the month, so I know what to pick up from Re:voir's current free shipping offer!

furbicide

#60 Post by furbicide » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm

zedz wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 pm
The film would work a lot better if Nico were a better actor, but she’s godawful, and whenever she opens her mouth, it’s filled with Garrel’s awesomely dumb and pretentious dialogue.
What, not a fan of "Nonsense on my right! Mercy on my left! There IS no MERCY! There is no JUSTICE!"? ;)

(In all seriousness, thanks for the reviews! Re:voir is a veritable goldmine, and I feel like I only know 10% of the stuff they put out.)

zedz

#61 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm

My favourite bit is when she’s running after the guy who’s walking away from her, yelling “Leave me alone!!!”

Give him a chance, honey!

therewillbeblus

#62 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm

This label is a giant blind spot for me, as I know next to nothing about most of the films or filmmakers but the praise is appealing. Considering the high prices, does anyone have prioritized recommendations to start out with? zedz's writeups of Hanoun's Les Saisons set, especially the nouvelle vague/experimental Godard comparisons, piqued my interest, and that trailer for L'Ange is too mindblowing to ignore. Otherwise, I've admittedly overwhelmed to make my own decisions here.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#63 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Love their Rose Lowder, Gunvor Nelson, Jonas Mekas, and Peter Rose DVDs especially

WmS

#64 Post by WmS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

A few I love:

The Marcel Hanoun Seasons set is four masterpieces of breathless intellectual cinema, each made on a shoestring yet lush and wonderful. They are small films that never feel constrained by location or ambition-- "Summer" in particular is time-and-place limited, shot in just a few days, but it's one of the richest post May '68 fims. I respect his debut film Une Simple Histoire more than I enjoyed it, but these four films I just loved.

Suzan Pitt's Asparagus is just astonishing, a really key work of avant-garde animation mixing drawn and stop-motion animation that had my jaw on the floor as it unfolded. I wish this (and many of their other releases) were on Blu-ray.

Robert Todd's short films are not as well known as most of the rest of the label, but they're contemplative and beautiful, the subjective eye in nature. He died a couple of years ago, but most of his stuff is still on Vimeo. Undergrowth is my favorite of his many, many films.

The main feature is a disjointed mess, but the short film Tahousse on the Mahine Rouhini and Olivier Fouchard dvd is lovely alt-processing 16mm grotty transcendental visuals of mountain landscapes. I've watched it a few times since last year, enthralled by its vision of mountains as if on fire.

Slow Mirror by the Buharov brothers, I don't know much about them. I really enjoyed the shorts on the disc-- they feel like works smuggled from somewhere cut off From the major trends of "Experimental" cinema? Kind of underground-y, kind of lo-fi/punk/weird, really interesting and unpredicatable.

And they have a blu-ray of Brakhage's Anticipation of the Night! Re-voir has a lot of historically important filmmakers whose work I never care to see again (Van Der Beek, Michael Snow) but this one is a really key work and has some really enthralling sequences.

Someday when I have money again I plan to subscribe to their releases and get a big crate of the rest of their stuff I want to see, but it'll probably be a minute or two.

Brevity

#65 Post by Brevity » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:51 am

More free VOD programming in April (same code, STAYHOME):
Re:Voir Facebook wrote: 1er avril : 𝗣𝗮𝘂𝗹 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘀, Mandala Films
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBl/YlhXaTA4Ln

2 avril : 𝗣𝗲𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗚𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗺𝗮𝗻, Wheel of ashes
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBq/YlhXaTA4Ln

3 avril : 𝗜𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗜𝘀𝗼𝘂, Traité de bave et d'éternité
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBr/YlhXaTA4Ln

4 avril : 𝗝𝗮𝗰𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀 𝗣𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗲, Paysages
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBn/YlhXaTA4Ln

𝟧 𝖺𝗏𝗋𝗂𝗅 : 𝖲𝗈𝗂𝗋é𝖾 𝖥𝗅𝗎𝗑𝗎𝗌 𝖾𝗇 𝖽𝗂𝗋𝖾𝖼𝗍 𝗌𝗎𝗋 𝗇𝗈𝗍𝗋𝖾 𝗉𝖺𝗀𝖾 𝖥𝖺𝖼𝖾𝖻𝗈𝗈𝗄

6 avril : 𝗣𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗽𝗽𝗲 𝗚𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗹, L’Enfant secret
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBm/YlhXaTA4Ln

7 avril : 𝗣𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸 𝗕𝗼𝗸𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘄𝘀𝗸𝗶, Un Rêve Solaire
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBo/YlhXaTA4Ln

8 avril : 𝗥𝗶𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗻, Once Every Day
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBp/YlhXaTA4Ln

9 avril : 𝗝𝗼𝗻𝗮𝘀 𝗠𝗲𝗸𝗮𝘀, Sleepless Nights Stories
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBs/YlhXaTA4Ln

10 avril : 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗹 𝗛𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘂𝗻, Octobre à Madrid
https://vimeo.com/r/2yBt/YlhXaTA4Ln

zedz

#66 Post by zedz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 am

The Sharits films are amazing, but not for the faint hearted.

destroydestroydestroydestroydestroy

knives

#67 Post by knives » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 pm

The film up today from Sandy Ding is really amazing. A must see for fans of Decasia.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#68 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 pm

If you like that, their Psychoecho DVD is worth picking up

therewillbeblus

#69 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 am

Night Awake was much more comforting than I anticipated, just what I needed earlier today to take a break from my normal mental processing pathways.

I don’t see anything listed on their site (which I admittedly have trouble navigating) but I’m wondering if they’re still in business shipping overseas given the outbreak? Google lists them as closed but perhaps that’s unrelated or false information.

neilist

#70 Post by neilist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:26 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 am
I don’t see anything listed on their site (which I admittedly have trouble navigating) but I’m wondering if they’re still in business shipping overseas given the outbreak? Google lists them as closed but perhaps that’s unrelated or false information.
The newsletter text above from dadaistnun dated 19 March talks at the end about a free shipping offer, so presumably they’re still shipping?

Glowingwabbit

#71 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 am
Night Awake was much more comforting than I anticipated, just what I needed earlier today to take a break from my normal mental processing pathways.

I ordered 3 days ago and got a shipping notice the next day. (I'm in the US)

therewillbeblus

#72 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 pm

You’re also in MA if I recall so good to hear, thanks. What is everyone ordering? Also thanks swo the Rose Lowder looks particularly good.

Glowingwabbit

#73 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 pm
You’re also in MA if I recall so good to hear, thanks. What is everyone ordering? Also thanks swo the Rose Lowder looks particularly good.
Yes I am. Probably would have ordered more, but since free delivery is limited to 4 I went with:

Reasons to be Glad (Jeff Scher)
Deux Fois (Jackie Raynal)
Cityscapes (Dominic Angerame)
Paysages (Jacques Perconte)

The last two are blind buys, and zedz's write-up of Paysages influenced that purchase (so thank you zedz!)

I already have all of their Philippe Garrel's, Rose Lowder, Hanoun's Les Saisons & Une simple histoire, and the Bokanowski's (whose work is probably hands down my favorite discovery so far from this label).

WmS

#74 Post by WmS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Lots of Dominic Angerame films on Kanopy if you have library access:

https://www.kanopy.com/product/films-dominic-angerame

senseabove

#75 Post by senseabove » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12 pm

There are quite a few of those available elsewhere in HD or free online, so I'd do some looking around for anything you're truly interested in (Rock Hudson's Home Movies on the Criterion All that Heaven Allows, some of the Mekas titles on Kino Lorber BDs, several of the Paul Clipson DVDs films on Vimeo, etc.)

At the very least, this'll be motivation to finally pick up Brakhage's Anticipation of the Night. I'm sorely tempted by Michael Snow's Rameau's Nephew by Diderot (Thanx to Dennis Young) by Wilma Schoen but 70 euros for a 4.5 hour movie and knowing I'm terrible at motivating myself to watch non-narrative a-g film outside of a theater... Maybe I'll swing for Michael Snow Presents instead... Anyone have feelings about either?