Scorpion Releasing: Opera

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Boosmahn

Re: Scorpion Releasing

#26 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:06 pm

I hopped on that thread for all of two minutes and saw discussions on fridge magnets, mono v. stereo audio, and "bright pink panties." What a ride.

nitin

#27 Post by nitin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 am

The mono vs stereo debate is largely about false advertising and the specs being silently changed last minute when there was plenty of opportunity to be upfront about it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:43 pm
At least they got their exclusive $50 slipcover and “VHS style fridge magnet,” whatever that means
Okay, to be fair, I finally yielded to this release and the slipcover is très fancy. I missed out on the VHS-style fridge magnet though, so I’m not sure life is worth living anymore

Morbii

#29 Post by Morbii » Sat May 18, 2019 1:55 am

I ordered mine on the first day and didn’t get a fridge magnet, so don’t feel too bad (not that you do).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Scorpion Releasing: Opera

#30 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm

It was interesting to watch a few minutes of this in the opened up 1.78, which is way more ruinous to Argento’s ‘Scope compositions than I’d anticipated. If anything the extra disk is a fascinating look at the importance of proper framing, even without a loss of image. I really don’t understand why else it is on here, though, unless now you can see the protagonist’s breasts in her carefully blocked to reveal nothing sex scene? Seems like the kind of goal the mouth breathers talk around when asking for VHS-style open mattes for other slashers

As for the film... yep, my new favorite Argento for sure, and the best marriage of his desire to just give us brilliant visual treats and his struggle to hang it on a coherent plot. This film actually made more sense than any other Argento movie, and it still had a lot of silliness! But who cares, good lord it’s gorgeous and the violence, while meaner than in some of the earlier films, is gruesomely effective. Argento’s preference here in several scenes for low angle shots is especially striking— more directors should have taken his bold lead here, some wonderful images result (such as the final shots underneath the floral underbrush). Speaking of other directors borrowing from Argento, the peephole murder here has to be an influence on the gun barrel shot in Kill Bill, right?

dwk

Re: Scorpion Releasing: Opera

#31 Post by dwk » Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

I believe Orion's aborted release was going to be opened up to 1.85, so I dont know why that version is presented in 2.35.