Thunderbird Releasing (née Soda Pictures)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
RossyG

Re: Soda Pictures

#151 Post by RossyG » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:25 am

I actually collect a lot of Soda releases and make a point of seeking you out on Amazon to see what's coming. Guess it's just me, then. :D

I'd advise having trailers as an option on the menu rather than forced.

JamesF

#152 Post by JamesF » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 am

RossyG wrote:I actually collect a lot of Soda releases and make a point of seeking you out on Amazon to see what's coming. Guess it's just me, then. :D
We salute and thank you for your custom and fine taste!
RossyG wrote:I'd advise having trailers as an option on the menu rather than forced.
Maybe if we get our own subforum on this here board with dedicated threads for each of our releases we'll think about it :wink:

We'll hopefully be confirming final specs for The Reflecting Skin in the next week or so. Really pleased and happy with how it's all come together; fans should be thrilled.

rapta

#153 Post by rapta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:44 pm

JamesF wrote:
RossyG wrote:I actually collect a lot of Soda releases and make a point of seeking you out on Amazon to see what's coming. Guess it's just me, then. :D
We salute and thank you for your custom and fine taste!
Me too! Definitely keeping track of what's coming up as you frequently distribute films I'm looking forward to, and really got my attention with last year's box sets - covering three of my favourite filmmakers in Chris Marker, Kelly Reichardt and Jim Jarmusch. I hope there are some more catalogue releases to come after The Reflecting Skin, maybe in the new year?
JamesF wrote:We'll hopefully be confirming final specs for The Reflecting Skin in the next week or so. Really pleased and happy with how it's all come together; fans should be thrilled.
Sounds great! Will be a blind-buy for me but I saw your trailer and have since found out Dick Pope shot this one so I'll definitely get it based on that (plus the fact it stars Viggo Mortensen). Will there be an Amaray edition if I don't manage to get the steelbook before it sells out?

JamesF

#154 Post by JamesF » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Full specs for the steelbook and an exclusive clip featuring Philip Ridley and Viggo Mortensen discussing the new restoration are now up at Rue Morgue:

http://www.rue-morgue.com/#!THE-REFLECT ... 576e55b56f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jazzo

#155 Post by jazzo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Any word on the region cod? Soda Pictures have a Canadian wing, so I'm hoping it's free

JamesF

#156 Post by JamesF » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:03 am

The steelbook edition will just be Region B, I'm afraid. Hopefully we might have news for Region A fans sometime next year, but nothing to report yet.

JamesF

#157 Post by JamesF » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 am

Mondo Digital on The Reflecting Skin:
Five years later, the film finally received a much-needed restoration to its original luster from Soda Pictures, with a new 2K scan released to Blu-ray coinciding with theatrical screenings in the UK. Needless to say, it's a welcome sight to finally have the film in pristine quality and the presentation outclasses the 1990 theatrical prints by a mile as well. Virtually the entire film is flooded with sunlight or warm interior lighting, so the film grain is kept to a fine sheen throughout with the image displaying a rich, often deliberately softened texture throughout.

Cash Flagg

#158 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:47 pm

JamesF

#159 Post by JamesF » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:30 am

JamesF

#160 Post by JamesF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 am

For the few region-A-locked members of the community (or those who didn't fancy the steelbook for whatever reason), good news - a basically identical version of our special edition of The Reflecting Skin, with all the same bonus features, has been released in Canada as of yesterday. Here's the Amazon link. (Please note that as with the standard edition DVD and Blu-Ray released in the UK, it does not have the art card signed by Philip Ridley that is included in the steelbook edition, which is still available from our online shop.)

Coming up on Blu-Ray, we are releasing Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson's The Forbidden Room in a dual-format package (more details in the Guy Maddin thread here), and we'll be putting out Grímur Hákonarson's Rams on Blu-Ray at the end of May and Alice Winocour's Disorder sometime this summer. Further details of these packages will be confirmed soon.

In addition, our upcoming DVD releases include:
- Grant Gee's documentary Innocence Of Memories, inspired by Turkish author Orhan Pamuk (Amazon pre-order)
- David Leon's boxing drama Orthodox (starring Stephen Graham and Michael Smiley) (Amazon pre-order)

And in UK cinemas we have Disorder coming out on March 25th; Joachim Trier's Louder Than Bombs on April 22nd; and Omer Fast's debut feature Remainder in May.

Aunt Peg

#161 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 am

Well I have The Reflecting Glass (Blu Ray) in my order with Amazon waiting to ship and intend to buy the wonderful Rams on Blu Ray & The Forbidden Room. To be honest I didn't like The Forbidden Room, one of the two Guy Maddin films that I 'don't get'. However, I am a Guy Maddin completess so it is a must own for me.

JamesF

#162 Post by JamesF » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:29 pm

The Forbidden Room came out this week - here's an "exploded" packshot of our dual format edition in all its gorgeous glory:

And I can happily confirm the following bonus features on our upcoming Blu-Ray of Rams, out at the end of May:

- BFI Q&A with director Grimur Hakonarson (30 mins)
- Short film "Wrestling" (2007, 20 mins) directed by Grimur Hakonarson

Our schedule for the rest of the year is slowly but surely taking shape, hopefully we'll have some new announcements to share with you all soon!

JamesF

#163 Post by JamesF » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:39 am

Confirmed Blu-Ray-exclusive extras for Alice Winocour's Disorder, out on July 25th:
  • * Q&A filmed in London with Alice Winocour and Matthias Schoenaerts (22 mins)
  • * Three short films by Alice Winocour: Kitchen (2005), Magic Paris (2006) and Pina Colada (2008)
We are also releasing Joachim Trier's Louder Than Bombs on Blu-Ray and DVD on August 15th. Extras are still to be confirmed, but will include an exclusive interview with Trier.

DVD-only releases coming out this summer include Magnus von Horn's The Here After on July 4th (which includes two excellent early shorts directed by von Horn), and Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words on August 29th.

On the Canada side of things, we are also releasing Ben Wheatley's High-Rise in an extras-stuffed edition there on August 2nd.

ETA: For those who missed it, here's the DVD Beaver review of our Rams Blu-Ray, which came out last week.

Aunt Peg

#164 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 am

I received my copy of Rams the other day and the quality is needless to say sensational.

I have Disorder & The Here After on pre-order. Looking forward to both. Disappointed the Ingrid Bergman documentary is DVD only. It was one of the very best films I saw last year.

JamesF

#165 Post by JamesF » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 am

Despite it being DVD-only, I hope some of you consider our edition of Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words as a more wallet-friendly alternative to the Criterion. (I have it on good authority the Amazon pre-order price here will be dropping to a more sensible level before release and the current pricing is due to a glitch, so watch this space.) We've been able to carry over most of the same extras and added a few of our own (highlighted in bold):
  • Optional alternate English language narration by Alicia Vikander
    The Necklace (1964) - newly restored TV drama starring Ingrid Bergman, released in the UK for the first time
    • Super 8 home movies shot by Ingrid Bergman
    • Deleted and extended interviews with the Rossellini family, Sigourney Weaver and Liv Ullmann
    Brief Encounter with the Rossellini Family (1953) - rare newsreel footage
    • Clip from Landskamp (1932) - Bergman's first onscreen appearance
    • Music video for "The Movie About Us" by Eva Dahlgren
    • Trailers
    • English SDH subtitles
So only missing the director introduction, interview with Bergman scholar Rosario Tronnolone and the excerpt from On The Sunny Side, but I hope you'll all agree that The Necklace (making its worldwide English-friendly video premiere I believe?) is worthy compensation. Similarly, I think Brief Encounter with the Rossellini Family is on the Criterion Rossellini/Bergman set, but is making its UK video premiere here.

Cronenfly

#166 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:21 am

It would appear that Louder than Bombs has a brief interview with Trier (13:40) and making of (3:41) plus trailers by way of supplements, according to this review. It is DVD-only in North America, so this looks like the best option on Blu, but I was hoping there would be a little more for bonus features.

JamesF

#167 Post by JamesF » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:14 am

For whatever it's worth, we did try on the bonus features front - and almost always do! Alas, if nothing is immediately available from the filmmakers or sales agent, and the talent is either busy or uncommunicative, or cagey about including things like ungraded and unmixed deleted scenes as extras, there's sadly not a lot of options left.

Cronenfly

#168 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 pm

You have my sympathies; I'm just glad it is getting a Blu release over there. While not without its flaws, I didn't feel like the film got a fair shake theatrically (pretty much got dumped here in Toronto, at least).

zedz

#169 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm

JamesF wrote:The Forbidden Room came out this week - here's an "exploded" packshot of our dual format edition in all its gorgeous glory:

I just started listening to the commentary on this, and am happy to report that it looks like Soda aced the transfer of a very challenging film (considering the look of the film is kind of a cross between dupe-of-a-dupe PD release and Stan Brakhage handpainted 35mm). It looks wonderful - and so far that's just the DVD!

JamesF

#170 Post by JamesF » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Thank you zedz! :)

Our Blu-Ray of Brady Corbet's The Childhood Of A Leader is now up for pre-order, and will be released on January 30th. Hopefully I'll be able to list full specs by the end of October.

For anyone who missed Omer Fast's debut feature Remainder (based on the novel by Tom McCarthy) in cinemas, it's out on Blu on October 24th.

Aunt Peg

#171 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 am

JamesF wrote:Thank you zedz! :)

Our Blu-Ray of Brady Corbet's The Childhood Of A Leader is now up for pre-order, and will be released on January 30th. Hopefully I'll be able to list full specs by the end of October.

For anyone who missed Omer Fast's debut feature Remainder (based on the novel by Tom McCarthy) in cinemas, it's out on Blu on October 24th.
I have Remainder in my cart and I'll definetly be buying The Childhood of a Leader!

JamesF

#172 Post by JamesF » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 am

JamesF wrote:Our Blu-Ray of Brady Corbet's The Childhood Of A Leader is now up for pre-order, and will be released on January 30th. Hopefully I'll be able to list full specs by the end of October.
A little later than anticipated, but here's the final list of extras for The Childhood Of A Leader, all UK-exclusive:
  • - New feature-length commentary by director/co-writer Brady Corbet, recorded specially for this release
    - Protect You + Me (2008, 10 mins, 1080p), a short film written and directed by Brady Corbet, starring Daniel London (Old Joy) and photographed by Darius Khondji
    - Theatrical Trailer
    - Blu-Ray exclusive: Isolated Score Track in DTS-HD MA 5.1
Very pleased by how this one's come together, especially that we got clearance from 4AD and Scott Walker's management for the isolated score, which should be a treat for any Walker fans with surround sound systems! The disc also includes English SDH subtitles, as well as a new, improved translation approved by Corbet for the main/default subtitles.

In addition, our upcoming Blu-Ray release of Jim Jarmusch's Paterson is now up for pre-order too, and will be released in late March. Further details on this will likely be up in the New Year.

JamesF

#173 Post by JamesF » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 am

JamesF wrote:In addition, our upcoming Blu-Ray release of Jim Jarmusch's Paterson is now up for pre-order too, and will be released in late March. Further details on this will likely be up in the New Year.
I can now update that our DVD/Blu-Ray release of Paterson will feature a 20-min Q&A with Adam Driver filmed here in London, as well as audio description and HOH subtitle tracks. It is released on March 27th.

rapta

#174 Post by rapta » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:50 pm

JamesF wrote:
JamesF wrote:In addition, our upcoming Blu-Ray release of Jim Jarmusch's Paterson is now up for pre-order too, and will be released in late March. Further details on this will likely be up in the New Year.
I can now update that our DVD/Blu-Ray release of Paterson will feature a 20-min Q&A with Adam Driver filmed here in London, as well as audio description and HOH subtitle tracks. It is released on March 27th.
Excellent news! I finally managed to see it and it's definitely one of my favourite films released last year. It's potentially the best work I've seen from Driver to date, and I can see why he has worked with many of the best American filmmakers working today (Spielberg, Baumbach, Coen, Abrams, Nichols, Scorsese, Soderbergh, Johnson). Jarmusch brings out the best in him though - they compliment each other very easily.

Will definitely be picking up the Blu-ray. I suppose it's a long shot, but you hadn't thought about releasing some more Jarmusch anytime soon, had you? Ghost Dog, Coffee and Cigarettes and Broken Flowers would be especially exciting...

Finch

#175 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Soda, I really appreciate what you guys are doing but please lose those fucking four or five star ratings on your covers, or at least the front. Have a bit more confidence in selling your titles without having to slap these ghastly ratings all over the artwork.