Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nitin

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#1626 Post by nitin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 am

Studiocanal also botched their HDR10 encodes for the Carpenter UHD titles so it will be interesting to see if they improve that here.

If this is anyway a competently produced disc (well outside of terrible cover art), will definitely purchase it, movie is a favorite.

andyli

#1627 Post by andyli » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:31 am

trailer for the restoration. I have to say it matches the look of Criterion's transfer to a great extent.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1628 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Steelbook art:

ford

#1629 Post by ford » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm

nitin wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 am
Studiocanal also botched their HDR10 encodes for the Carpenter UHD titles so it will be interesting to see if they improve that here.

If this is anyway a competently produced disc (well outside of terrible cover art), will definitely purchase it, movie is a favorite.
Yeah the ESCAPE 4k has major issues, the black bars at the top and bottom start flickering through much of the film on my OLED which is apparently a completely foolish encoding mistake on their part.

andyli

#1630 Post by andyli » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Cocteau's Blood of a Poet and Testament of Orpheus slated for August.

EDIT: I did some digging and found both are from recent 4K restorations. Also, Studio Canal has Basic Instinct, The Son's Room, The Elephant Man all 4k restored and due for (re-)release.

nitin

#1631 Post by nitin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 am

Great news re Elephant Man and Basic Instinct.

eerik

#1632 Post by eerik » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:25 am

Angel Heart 4K UHD Blu-ray out this September, at least in Germany.

dustybooks

#1633 Post by dustybooks » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 pm

I got the Blood of a Poet disc. It looks great and I’m very pleased to have it on BD, though I badly miss Criterion’s higher caliber of extras from the old boxed set which I checked out a while ago from the library. The half-hour documentary Canal includes is a nice primer but it’s so little to offer for such a brief film, and one that in my view benefited greatly from the added context. I may actually try to find a used copy of the Orphic box for my collection even though there are now Blu editions of all three films...

Marwood

#1634 Post by Marwood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:38 am

The documentary "Jean Cocteau: Autobiography of an Unknown" from The Blood of a Poet and the short “La Villa Santo Sospir” from Testament of Orpheus are both available on the Criterion Blu of Orpheus. Not sure about the essays though.

dustybooks

#1635 Post by dustybooks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Marwood wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:38 am
The documentary "Jean Cocteau: Autobiography of an Unknown" from The Blood of a Poet and the short “La Villa Santo Sospir” from Testament of Orpheus are both available on the Criterion Blu of Orpheus. Not sure about the essays though.
Thank you, I probably should have checked that before posting!

Finch

#1636 Post by Finch » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:20 am

Beaver on StudioCanal's 4k Don't Look Now

This does look impressive even on my non-HDR monitor/laptop screen. More titles like this might just tempt me to take the plunge.

Lowry_Sam

#1637 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Searched this site, but surprised I couldn’t find a dedicated thread for Gaspar Noe’s Irreversible.It recently played in Venice in 2 cuts, the original & “the straight cut”. Anyone see the new version? Can’t imagine I would like it as it sounds like it undermines the premise of the film, but The Studio Canal press release states that both versions will be coming to blu-ray.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1638 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:26 pm
it sounds like it undermines the premise of the film
Noé explained that he thinks the "reverse chronology might have gotten the focus of too many viewers who then missed some aspects of the story. By telling it now in a normal chronology, it's all very clear but also darker. It was so far a concept puzzle, it's now a diptych, like an old disc whose B face is a less conceptual version of the A face, with more intelligible voices, making the words' meaning more fatalist."
In this regard, it seems to me that on the contrary, it shifts the film focus from its gimmicky premises to its main story (which, for me, has actually always got my main focus).

Lowry_Sam

#1639 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 am

I saw Irreversible at a midnight screening as part of a SF horror/cult film fest before it was released in the US (the announcement actually stated that it probably wasn’t going to get released in the US so this was likely to be your only chance to see it). The theater was completely full, they had to turn people away. They also prefaced the film with a warning that someone had fainted the night before at its North American premiere in NYC (which was probably because of the strobe effect/epilepsy connection not necessarily from the content) which only heightened the (mostly horror fans) expectations of the audience. Having not heard anything about the film (except that I knew it wasn’t a slasher film as perhaps some in the audience might have been expecting), I was completely blown away from the beginning (with the credits really alerting you to the premise of the film’s structure. It played out like a mystery similar to Memento from the previous year & liked (but thought could have been better), but was much more effective in its use of the narrative structure & so I found it to be much less gimmicky than Memento. However, after the film, in discussing it with others (Noe was supposed to be at the screening, but something came up & he couldn’t make it) it became clear that many people had missed particular details in the plot and this lead to a debate over whether the film was homophobic (and that it was people’s misunderstanding of the chain of events in the film that led to this debate). So I can see the impetus for Noe wanting to restructure it for a broader audience. But for me, I was just so taken in with the film because of its structure that I was a truly in awe, which I rarely experience anymore when I go to the movies.

therewillbeblus

#1640 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 am

Studiocanal will re-release a 4k version of Godard's Breathless in 2020.

eerik

#1641 Post by eerik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 pm

I assume you are referencing Deadline.com's article which does not mention anything regards UHD discs. 3 of the 5 titles they mention as 2019 releases certainly were not released on 4K discs.

Edit: The Third Man did not receive any new home video release this year, the 4K restoration was released in 2015 with another theatrical releases this year. So yeah, the article is foremost about theatrical releases.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1642 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Canal's policy about HDR seems to only use/apply it if the restoration is done under the guidance of a technical reference from the movie.
I wouldn't say the article is mostly about theatrical releases, but rather just Canal's curation of their catalogue and then, well, it depends on the market. I would bet on Elephant Man getting a video release (possibly an UHD), and Irréversible is already confirmed on BD.
But it's not different from a presentation I've seen by TF1 about everything they have restored (and wow there's lot of them, but so few with distributors or video labels to get them out).

TMDaines

#1643 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 am

Are Kino's and SC's recent releases of The Holly and the Ivy Blu-ray cut? Beaver has the Kino at 80-81 mins and Amazon UK lists the SC at 80 mins, where three reviewers are lamenting the film being incomplete with "the children's nativity play attended by Ralph Richardson, and the scene in which Denholm Elliott leads some child carolers [...] still missing". Anyone know the history of this film and why these scenes are not present? Backchannels do have longer versions of the film too.

Britmovie is quite unhelpful and NitrateVille is little more so.

yoloswegmaster

#1644 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:56 am

SC to release 'Nights of Cabiria' and 'The White Sheik' in Spring 2020.

Matt

#1645 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:56 am
SC to release 'Nights of Cabiria' and 'The White Sheik' in Spring 2020.
in the UK and Germany. The 4K resto of Cabiria appears to be already available on blu in Spain and Japan.

movielocke

#1646 Post by movielocke » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:SC to release 'Nights of Cabiria' and 'The White Sheik' in Spring 2020.
Perhaps those will be the first upgrades criterion releases this year as well, ala Virgin spring in the summer of the Bergman year.

I’d rather get I vitteloni and la strada though, first.

hearthesilence

#1647 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:58 pm

The White Sheik, Nights of Cabiria and I Vitteloni are three of Fellini's best films, IMHO, and I'd welcome any of them as the first BD upgrades of the year. (Can't say I'm a fan of La Strada, but it's probably more popular than any of those three so I'm sure an upgrade will come relatively soon.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1648 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 am

I've seen a few caps of the Cabiria Japanese disc and yeah, it's Wax-o-vision. The grain seem to have been scrubbed into oblivion. The grading also seem problematic, with clipped highlights and the whole thing just seem completely over-exposed.
It's surprising, because Kadokawa also released Bresson's Le journal d'un curé de campagne in its new 4K resto and it seemed to be (again, on caps) tremendous. So I can't say if Cabiria's restoration is just FUBARed or if Kadokawa decided to toy with it pointlessly and destructively.

EDIT : found it, from the Film Forum 2020 program :
4K RESTORATION BY TF1 STUDIO IN PARTNERSHIP WITH STUDIOCANAL AND WITH THE SUPPORT OF THE CNC. RESTORED AT L’IMMAGINE RITROVATA LABORATORY, BOLOGNA
And here :
The 4K restoration and digitisation of NIGHTS OF CABIRIA has been made from new fine grains by TF1 STUDIO in partnership with STUDIOCANAL and with the support of the CNC

hearthesilence

#1649 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Ugh. I guess I WON'T be selling my Criterion DVD after all.

FWIW, in late 2017 when MoMI held a program honoring Rialto, the one 35mm print shown was for Nights of Cabiria - it looked great, but it was also pretty worn and scratched around the reel changes. Would be a great shame if no good print of this circulates anymore in the U.S.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1650 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I feel like the Fellini restorations we've seen are such a mixed bag, I shudder to think about the quality of the boxset. City of Women and Roma have the weird color timing. La Strada doesn't look amazing. Nights of Cabiria could very well be botched.