Lionsgate: Jean-Luc Godard Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Ashirg

Lionsgate: Jean-Luc Godard Collection

#1 Post by Ashirg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:50 pm

To be released on February 5 according to Laser's Edge:
Experience four films from one of the most influential and well-known French filmakers, Jean-Luc Godard. This pioneer of the "New Wave" cinematic movement enjoys a prolific career that has already spanned over 5 decades. This collection features four works from the 1980s and 1990s phase of his career. The films include Passion (1982), First Name: Carmen (Winner of the Golden Lion Award at the 1983 Venice Film Festival), Detective (1985) and Oh, Woe is Me (1993). The collection represents a snapshot of the incredible work of one of the world's true cinematic geniuses.

Passion: Illustrating Godard's unique use of multiple narrative storytelling, this provocative film focuses on the interplay between love, work, and filmmaking. Uninspired and overbudget, a bored film director (Jerzy Radziwilowicz), who is shooting a tedious television movie, begins simultaneous love affairs with two very different women - Hanna (Hanna Schygulla), the owner of the hotel where his film crew stays, and Isabelle (Isabelle Huppert), a factory worker fired by Hanna's husband (Michel Piccoli).

First Name: Carmen (Prenom Carmen): This satirical black comedy that winks at Merimee's classic Carmen, stars Godard himself as a famous director pretending to be ill in a mental institution, but actually trying to avoid making films. He is enlisted by his niece Carmen (Maruschka Detmers) who wants his empty apartment as a hideaway for a bank robbery she and her friends are about to commit. Tragic and comical, this avant-garde work makes exceptional use of music to create the unusual pace and tempo, moods and rhythms of the film.

Detective: Godard's amazing pastiche of genres from romance and gangster films to slapstick, melodrama, crime stories and film noir, incorporates several stories set in one Parisian hotel. A powerhouse cast includes Laurent Terzieff and Jean-Pierre Leaud as the hotel's detective and assistant, Johnny Hallyday as a fight promoter having an affair with Nathalie Baye, and Alain Cuny as a Mafia chieftain. Julie Delpy and Emmanuelle Seigner also appear in this endlessly intriguing work which experiments with everything from the soundtrack to the credits.

Oh, Woe is Me (Helas Pour Moi): In this surrealistic, modern take on the Greek myth where Zeus descends to earth to seduce a woman by disguising himself as her husband, Godard also seduces viewers with his extraordinary images, unusual sounds, voices and music. Gerard Depardieu portrays Simon, husband of Rachel (Laurence Masliah) who is targeted by a cruel God determined to experience real love. As the drama unfolds, Godard also explores some of the most profound questions of man dealing with love, God and the meaning of life.

pro-bassoonist

#2 Post by pro-bassoonist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:19 am

I would assume they are using the same French masters used for the UK versions. Depending on the price probably a good catch for non-region free people.

Pro-B

Jean-Luc Garbo

#3 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 pm

YES!!! It's finally coming out. =D> I am so excited for some '80's Godard - and the chance to see Passion again. I hope that the transfers are good.

justeleblanc

#4 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:29 pm

The transfers will most likely be terrific, given the Lionsgate/Studio Canal track record.

Though it looks as if neither SCENARIO DU FILM PASSION nor SOFT AND HARD will appear on the discs, despite their connections to PASSION and DETECTIVE.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#5 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Hmm, while I applaud these films making it to R1, the boxset doesn't interest me personally. Simply put, I've already paid out dough for the R2 editions. Now if the transfers wind up being the end-all be-all maybe I'll spring for it. But that is doubtful.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Yeah I already own all of these in R2 discs but I'm so happy that now more people are going to be able to discover some of Godard's best late-period work!

whaleallright

#7 Post by whaleallright » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 pm

I hope they transfer these in the correct aspect ratio of 1.33:1. Even the French Cahiers du cinéma discs are framed incorrectly to widescreen.

Oedipax

#8 Post by Oedipax » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Great line up, but yeah, I already have all of these. It's a shame Nouvelle vague isn't being released as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:15 pm

jonah.77 wrote:I hope they transfer these in the correct aspect ratio of 1.33:1. Even the French Cahiers du cinéma discs are framed incorrectly to widescreen.
Passion's in fullscreen on the Cahiers disc but I assume you're talking about Prenom Carmen? The others two I know are at least in their proper full frame ratio in R2.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Oedipax wrote:Great line up, but yeah, I already have all of these. It's a shame Nouvelle vague isn't being released as well.
Someone must own the US rights to it, if not there would be no reason not to pair it with Helais

Via_Chicago

#11 Post by Via_Chicago » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Oedipax wrote:Great line up, but yeah, I already have all of these. It's a shame Nouvelle vague isn't being released as well.
Someone must own the US rights to it, if not there would be no reason not to pair it with Helais
As I recall, Nouvelle Vague is in some kind of rights hell, which is, of course, totally unfortunate.

whaleallright

#12 Post by whaleallright » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:46 pm

The Cahiers DVD of NOUVELLE VAGUE is incorrectly matted to, I believe, 1.66:1.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 pm

As I am aware, but since that film is not in this set I didn't think that's what you were talking about. Of course, even in 1.66, Nouvelle Vague is a beaut! But to see it in the proper full frame, what a dream that would be

justeleblanc

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me what kind of case is the ECM Godard DVD, whether its standard keep case or something oddly shaped?

Oedipax

#15 Post by Oedipax » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:14 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me what kind of case is the ECM Godard DVD, whether its standard keep case or something oddly shaped?
It's a custom case. It's basically a book, with the approximate height and width of a standard DVD case. The back of the book has a custom hub with the DVD. It's very nice.

patrick

#16 Post by patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm looking forward to this set. I actually don't think I've ever seen any of Godard's work past Tout va bien.

tavernier

#17 Post by tavernier » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow...you've got a lot to catch up with!

jbeall

#18 Post by jbeall » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:06 pm

patrick wrote:I'm looking forward to this set. I actually don't think I've ever seen any of Godard's work past Tout va bien.
I really like Hail Mary, and it's a film from the same period.

justeleblanc

#19 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:22 am

According to Amazon's page, the boxset is 414 minutes.

According to IMDb:

Passion 88 min
Prenom: Carmen 85 min
Detective: 95 min
Woe is Me: 95 min

Leaving a difference of 50 minutes. Scenario du Passion is 50 minutes. Does anyone else have a better explanation?

justeleblanc

#20 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:28 am

domino harvey wrote:
Anyone with a connection to Koch Lorber interested in knowing if they are holding the US rights to it? My once decent email chain has pretty much ceased and but before that, I was told they did own the rights to a Godard title or two.

sevenarts

#21 Post by sevenarts » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:40 am

justeleblanc wrote:According to Amazon's page, the boxset is 414 minutes.

According to IMDb:

Passion 88 min
Prenom: Carmen 85 min
Detective: 95 min
Woe is Me: 95 min

Leaving a difference of 50 minutes. Scenario du Passion is 50 minutes. Does anyone else have a better explanation?
I'd love to think you're right, but the box set will contain a documentary called "Jean-Luc Godard: A Riddle Wrapped in an Enigma," which could easily account for the extra time. I'm still holding out hope that the Scenario will be included, which is why I'm waiting on the UK Helas Pour Moi until this box comes out.

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Carmen's Beaver.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#23 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm even more excited now. I'm so glad that this shipped a few days ago. I saw Passion and Carmen on VHS years ago so I'm looking forward to meeting the films again for another evaluation. A set of '80s Godard is something I've needed for awhile. I can hardly wait for Criterion's Pierrot to ship.

Oedipax

#24 Post by Oedipax » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:07 pm

I'd be interested to see if the rest of the transfers are as strong. I could get all four films for about what I paid for just one of them in R2!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah I already own all four of these titles in R2 discs and wasn't planning to re-buy them but damn, Lionsgate is really on the ball