Lionsgate

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Lionsgate

#401 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Release dates for the next three Vestron Video Collector's Series releases:
10/18 - Waxwork & Waxwork 2 Double Feature
11/22 - Return of the Living Dead 3
11/22 - C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#402 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:17 am

JSC wrote:As long as they're dipping into the Vestron catalogue, how about a set of
Ken Russell's films from the late 80s?

(Lair of the White Worm, The Rainbow, Salome's Last Dance)
You get part of your wish: Lair of the White Worm coming up next, and also Bob Balaban's Parents-- hope they plan to upgrade the Ally Sheedy-Fear that shared the disc with it!

captveg

#403 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:28 pm

More Vestron titles:

1/31/17 - The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
1/31/17 - Parents (1989)

TMDaines

Re:

#404 Post by TMDaines » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am

Cronenfly wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:
GringoTex wrote:I like the video essays where the critic speaks over relevant sections of the film. The most brilliant by far is Tag Gallagher's on the R2 Letter From an Unknown Woman.
Seconded -- on average, far better than either commentaries or talking heads interviews/ speeches
It does seem to be the best solution; let's just hope that more releases start including them. It would be nice if they moved out of mostly being included on boutique releases like Criterions, but I'm not sure that'll ever happen; I think that, if they're even on their radar at all, most mainstream studios seem to view them as too much work.
Bit of thread necroing, but this extra is on Carlotta's Blu-ray of the film and it's really good. I just watched it and feel kind of stupid for not appreciating the film more on first glance. So many clever touches, that I completely overlooked.

AlexFar

#405 Post by AlexFar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 am

I watched Bob Balaban's Parents last night and am amazed at the dearth of critical standing it has. Seemingly dismissed at the altar of genre as a failed hybrid - 'providing neither laughs nor scares,' which on the whole sidesteps Balaban's decidedly anti-genre ambitions; mining the subjective viewpoint of a child in a Rockwellian family for quasi-political, surrealist, sometimes creepy crawly effects. Unfortunately it shies away from greatness by abandoning ambiguity for lame horror movie conventions in the third act - its figurative charms betrayed by a bloody material reality - and finally flatlines with an insipid, telegraphed coda involving grandparents.

The two lead children provide some of the best child performances I've seen (Bryan Madorsky in the central performance - shockingly his only credit on IMDB - and London Juno as his girl friend). They are naturalistic, honest, and delightful onscreen together, although this relationship is again shamefully shirked for a late kamikaze of commercial script mechanics. Interestingly, Randy Quaid and Mary Beth Hurt as the parents work in a very difference mode from the child duo - all caricature and theater - further encouraging the audience to identify with the children.

Given Balaban is a rather prolific actor, the polished performances are not surprising - but perhaps the level of formal inventiveness is. In addition to the use of wide angle lenses and split diopters that continually alienate our protagonist in his environs, there is a fun set piece in which a simple shot/reverse takes place at a dinner table that begins to spin like a merry-go-round during the height of dramatic tension. And even as the deflating climax unfurls Balaban sometimes employs the blurry, stop-and-go stutter of step printed film; almost as though he is rushing these weaker points off the screen whilst simultaneously exulting the pictorial interest of individual frames.

Highly recommend this one and I'm eager to delve into Balaban's commentary on the Vestron disc (incidentally the PQ is very good if not excellent).

ianthemovie

#406 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:46 am

Parents is a truly bizarre film with some great moments (I love that montage of 1950s suburbia set to "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White"). I wish it were less uneven. But I do remember laughing at that ending. If you see the movie as a black comedy about a child's fears about adult sexuality (as I do), the ending seems to say "you're freaked out to think about your parents having sex? Just imagine your grandparents doing it!"

beamish13

#407 Post by beamish13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 pm

ianthemovie wrote:Parents is a truly bizarre film with some great moments (I love that montage of 1950s suburbia set to "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White"). I wish it were less uneven. But I do remember laughing at that ending. If you see the movie as a black comedy about a child's fears about adult sexuality (as I do), the ending seems to say "you're freaked out to think about your parents having sex? Just imagine your grandparents doing it!"

It's a really solid dark comedy. What I remember most about it is a dream sequence that strongly recalls the opening of Sidney Lumet's Murder on the Orient Express

captveg

#408 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 pm

The Big Kahuna (1999) - 5/30/17

colinr0380

#409 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 pm

beamish13 wrote:
ianthemovie wrote:Parents is a truly bizarre film with some great moments (I love that montage of 1950s suburbia set to "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White"). I wish it were less uneven. But I do remember laughing at that ending. If you see the movie as a black comedy about a child's fears about adult sexuality (as I do), the ending seems to say "you're freaked out to think about your parents having sex? Just imagine your grandparents doing it!"
It's a really solid dark comedy. What I remember most about it is a dream sequence that strongly recalls the opening of Sidney Lumet's Murder on the Orient Express
Parents is really great (I bracket in with something like The Lady In White) and I second the great use of period appropriate records on the soundtrack!

captveg

#410 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Also on 5/30/17:

Akeelah and the Bee (2006)

PfR73

#411 Post by PfR73 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 pm

captveg wrote:Also on 5/30/17:

Akeelah and the Bee (2006)
Soon to be available at Starbucks!

AfterTheRain

#412 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

The Unholy* - 6/27/17

*Spine #10 in the Vestron Video Collectors Series (in case anyone was wondering)

beamish13

#413 Post by beamish13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

every time this thread reappears, I think there's going to be an announcement for Paperhouse finally coming out on Blu. :|

The Narrator Returns

#414 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 am

Amores Perros - 10/10

dwk

#415 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 am

After a quick start it seems the Vestron line has stalled a little, but Slaughter High (#12) is coming out on October 31st. That will be it for the rest of this year, with releases resuming with two titles in January.

On the off chance that anybody who cares missed it, the following three Vestron Video Collection releases have not been mentioned in this thread but have already been released:
#8) The Gate
#9) Wishmaster Collection (Wishmaster / Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies / Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell / Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled)
#11) Warlock Collection (Warlock / Warlock: The Armageddon / Warlock III: The End of Innocence)

FrauBlucher

#416 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:Amores Perros - 10/10
I hope this release will be better than the UK Optimum release.

JabbaTheSlut

#417 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 am

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Major fuck-up with the transfer, the bleach-bypass-look is gone. Does not look at all as it looked in theaters. The dvds, although crappy in in quality otherwise, represent the original look more loyally tha this new, neutral transfer. Amores Perros is Iñárritu's best movie, a shame.

JSC

#418 Post by JSC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am

Ken Russell's Gothic coming Jan.30 via the Vestron series.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22462

dwk

#419 Post by dwk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am

A Vestron Series release of Class of 1999 is also coming out on January 30th

FrauBlucher

#420 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Is there any reason to believe there is still a deal between Lionsgate/Studio Canal? It seems like it's been forever since Lionsgate released a SC title. How long do these agreements usually last for? And if there is no longer a deal between the two, would SC be in any rush to return them back to Criterion or maybe wait for the best possible offer? I'm sure Kino would be a player. It's just a shame because Studio Canal Vintage Classics seems to be turning out some very good blurays in Europe.

sabbath

#421 Post by sabbath » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Is there any reason to believe there is still a deal between Lionsgate/Studio Canal? It seems like it's been forever since Lionsgate released a SC title. How long do these agreements usually last for? And if there is no longer a deal between the two, would SC be in any rush to return them back to Criterion or maybe wait for the best possible offer? I'm sure Kino would be a player. It's just a shame because Studio Canal Vintage Classics seems to be turning out some very good blurays in Europe.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 48488.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This recent news is not about the old SC catalogue titles, but it seems their partnership is and will be solid for a while.

FrauBlucher

#422 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Disappointing indeed. But no mention of the SC Vintage Classic line.

Lionsgate is probably the worst studio but SC doesn't think so...
"Lionsgate is a terrific partner with a proven track record of success in handling our films," said STUDIOCANAL Executive Vice President of International Distribution Anna Marsh. "We are excited by the opportunity to continue to tap their marketing expertise and distribution prowess as we add our titles to their commercially exciting slate."

dwk

#423 Post by dwk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Unless it is Terminator 2 or Evil Dead 2, Lionsgate has no interest in releasing StudioCanal titles. I think The Man Who Fell to Earth (no doubt to tie in to Bowie's death) and the remastered Highlander are the last two StudioCanal titles Lionsgate has released.

DeprongMori

#424 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Disappointing indeed. But no mention of the SC Vintage Classic line.

Lionsgate is probably the worst studio but SC doesn't think so...
"Lionsgate is a terrific partner with a proven track record of success in handling our films," said STUDIOCANAL Executive Vice President of International Distribution Anna Marsh. "We are excited by the opportunity to continue to tap their marketing expertise and distribution prowess as we add our titles to their commercially exciting slate."
It’s been, what, three years now that Tales of Hoffman was released by StudioCanal in the UK and still no sign of it here.

dwk

#425 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 am

This line from that press release is great
STUDIOCANAL owns one of the most important film libraries in the world, boasting 6,500 feature films, including the iconic Terminator 2, Breathless, Mulholland Drive and Belle de jour.
So, the press release is about a deal in the US and 75% of the titles given as examples of StudioCanal's catalog are titles that they don't own the US rights. :-s