94-99 / BD 175-180 Lubitsch in Berlin

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
TMDaines

Re: 94-99 Lubitsch in Berlin

#51 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:34 am

After having watched Ich möchte kein Mann sein, Die Puppe and Die Austernprinzessin I'm wondering if others had widely different experiences with each of them. I personally really enjoyed the first two but was a little cooler to the third. The foxtrot scene seemingly lasted an eternity and there were a couple of other scenes in there which didn't quite work either. I'd certainly say that in all three Ossi stole the show. Her performance in Die Puppe was especially brilliant.

badblokebob

#52 Post by badblokebob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:50 pm

I had pretty much the same reaction, though Die Austernprinzessin grew on me a little with reflection. Sadly, I didn't find the films got better from that point out -- Die Puppe is the high point as far as I'm concerned.

evillights

#53 Post by evillights » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 pm

The Image Galleries on each film's Catalogue page went live tonight.

triodelover

#54 Post by triodelover » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Has anyone compared the MoCs to the Kino set? I have the Kino and I'm trying to decide whether to sell it and get the MoC version.

Ashirg

#55 Post by Ashirg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 am

Jonathan S

#56 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 am

triodelover wrote:Has anyone compared the MoCs to the Kino set? I have the Kino and I'm trying to decide whether to sell it and get the MoC version.
I made some brief comparisons with the Kinos I own (not all titles) and the MoCs looked much sharper, especially when I project them about 4ft wide. I assume this is mainly because the Kinos were in-house PAL to NTSC conversions. On Die Puppe (but no other titles I've noticed) this ironically brings a slight downside in that I can now see many "jaggies" (if I'm using the correct term) in the original FWMS transfer. They are much less obvious in the Kino because its softness obscures them.

Maybe Nick can shed some light on why Die Puppe suffers from jaggies but the others don't, but I'm sure it's not MoC's fault. Maybe this is the reason that film was omitted - if I remember correctly - from the original German box? Incidentally, unlike the members above, I've always found the highly satirical Die Austernprinzessin much more entertaining than Die Puppe.

peerpee
not perpee

#57 Post by peerpee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:28 am

The German lab scuffed it slightly on that one, and it wasn't cost-effective to get them to do it all over again.

triodelover

#58 Post by triodelover » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:36 am

Jonathan S wrote:
triodelover wrote:Has anyone compared the MoCs to the Kino set? I have the Kino and I'm trying to decide whether to sell it and get the MoC version.
I made some brief comparisons with the Kinos I own (not all titles) and the MoCs looked much sharper, especially when I project them about 4ft wide. I assume this is mainly because the Kinos were in-house PAL to NTSC conversions. On Die Puppe (but no other titles I've noticed) this ironically brings a slight downside in that I can now see many "jaggies" (if I'm using the correct term) in the original FWMS transfer. They are much less obvious in the Kino because its softness obscures them.

Maybe Nick can shed some light on why Die Puppe suffers from jaggies but the others don't, but I'm sure it's not MoC's fault. Maybe this is the reason that film was omitted - if I remember correctly - from the original German box? Incidentally, unlike the members above, I've always found the highly satirical Die Austernprinzessin much more entertaining than Die Puppe.

Thanks, Jonathan. I appreciate the input.

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 am

Just thought I'd mischievously flutter this red rag in the form of a DVD Times comment:
I for one dislike having only the option of German intertitles with English subs. Having two sets of writing on the screen is a bit of a strain for me at times, and it seems especially pointless when (as in Metropolis for example) the only differance between the German and English intertitles is the language, no exclusive artwork or anything.

triodelover

#60 Post by triodelover » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 am

MichaelB wrote:Just thought I'd mischievously flutter this red rag in the form of a DVD Times comment:
I for one dislike having only the option of German intertitles with English subs. Having two sets of writing on the screen is a bit of a strain for me at times, and it seems especially pointless when (as in Metropolis for example) the only differance between the German and English intertitles is the language, no exclusive artwork or anything.
I might take his plea for English more seriously if he could actually spell correctly in that language. [-X

TMDaines

#61 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am

MichaelB wrote:Just thought I'd mischievously flutter this red rag in the form of a DVD Times comment:
I was just about to post that! He needs educating.

TheGodfather

#62 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:43 pm

After having watched Ich möchte kein Mann sein (wich I really liked) 2 weeks ago, I watched Die Puppe today. I thought that it was even better. Funny and at times heart warming, I found it to be a great watch.
Loved every second of it. Hope the rest will be equally great.

jbaart

#63 Post by jbaart » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 am

"3. - 5. Juni 2010, Nürnberg:
Die Puppe, Stummfilm von Ernst Lubitsch (Deutschland 1919), Einspielung der Neukomposition von Martin Smolka; Ausführende: Ensemble Kontraste, Produktion: ZDF-arte"

Mh, a new score for Die Puppe? Shame it's not part of the MoC set then :(

skuhn8

#64 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 am

jbaart wrote:"3. - 5. Juni 2010, Nürnberg:
Die Puppe, Stummfilm von Ernst Lubitsch (Deutschland 1919), Einspielung der Neukomposition von Martin Smolka; Ausführende: Ensemble Kontraste, Produktion: ZDF-arte"

Mh, a new score for Die Puppe? Shame it's not part of the MoC set then :(
You mean as an alternative in addition to the existing score (which is I understand is quite nice); otherwise, [-X

Tommaso

#65 Post by Tommaso » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am

In any case, this is good news for all who have the Transit set and don't want to double-dip on the MoC. I already see a standalone disc of "Die Puppe" with German titles coming from divisa, or at least an arte broadcast.

Mozart

#66 Post by Mozart » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:59 am

denti alligator

#67 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't recall all that combing and those jaggies on the Transit set. Are these caps accurate?

MichaelB

#68 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Presumably combing is unavoidable with an interlaced transfer? Which is equally unavoidable given the framerate? But I'd guess it looks better in motion.

peerpee
not perpee

#69 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

The only one with really bad jaggies is DIE PUPPE. I have a feeling that unforgiving settings have been used to make those grabs.

denti alligator

#70 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:55 pm

peerpee wrote:The only one with really bad jaggies is DIE PUPPE. I have a feeling that unforgiving settings have been used to make those grabs.
I figured. Is there a reason DIE PUPPE suffers from the jags? It's the title I would be getting the whole set for.

peerpee
not perpee

#71 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:04 pm

I discussed this in my Feb 17th post, in this thread.

TMDaines

#72 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:17 pm

In all honesty those screenshots don't do the transfers justice. The problem with taking screencaps of a silent film is that jaggies will often appear just due to the frame rate conversion. When played at normal speed and sitting at normal distance you do not notice them at all.

peerpee
not perpee

#73 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

If you configure your DVD software to handle interlacing properly, you don't see any interlacing, and grabs don't have that combing.

TMDaines

#74 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

peerpee wrote:If you configure your DVD software to handle interlacing properly, you don't see any interlacing, and grabs don't have that combing.
The video is progressive though, isn't it?

peerpee
not perpee

#75 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 pm

The video is interlaced because of the non-24fps nature of the films. So if your computer settings are set to "deinterlace", motion and stills present zero combing (the same is true of most modern standalone players/displays).

If your software is not set to "deinterlace" such material properly, stills and motion will be riddled with combing, which gives an unrepresentative picture.