BD 288 The Valiant Ones

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Finch

BD 288 The Valiant Ones

#1 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 pm

BD & 4K separate release

Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [2000 copies]
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation, presented in Dolby Vision HDR from a 4K digital restoration of the original negatives gifted by director King Hu to the Hong Kong Film Archive
Uncompressed original Mandarin mono restored from the original soundtrack negative
Optional English subtitles newly translated for this release
Brand new audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
Tony Rayns on The Valiant Ones – Brand new interview with critic and Asian film expert Tony Rayns
Tsar of all the Wuxia - a new video essay by David Cairns
The Life of a Lucky Stuntman – Brand new interview with stuntman Billy Chan
My Father and I – Brand new interview with actor Ng Ming-choi
Archival 2003 interview with actress Hsu Feng by Frédéric Ambroisine
Archival 2003 interview with Roger Garcia (Hong Kong International Film Festival Society) by Frédéric Ambroisine
Archival 2016 interview with actor Ng Ming-choi by Frédéric Ambroisine
A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Clements

What A Disgrace

Re: BD/4k 288 The Valiant Ones

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 pm

I suppose they figured that if martial arts films are there biggest sellers, they can just crank them out on 4K and make a bundle, whether King Hu or Chuck Norris. My finger is itching for the Place Order button, of course.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 am

This is one of his most accessible and entertaining films, made up of nonstop and creative action. Releasing it on 4K is a no brainer, many people will enjoy this

rapta

#4 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:05 pm

And a huge coup getting this for the US/Canada as well as UK, so more power to Eureka if this is what their North American expansion is going to look like!

Very happy to be getting this. My only disappointment is that they're not doing Dual Format releases for 4K, as I would definitely have 'future proofed' by buying that rather than just getting the Blu-ray (and eventually might upgrade to the 4K disc, but obviously buying the same film twice is off-putting).

That's one thing Criterion and StudioCanal have understood, as have a few other labels (Second Sight often gives the Limited Edition option as Dual Format, and then offers individual standard editions of either format).

PS: I wonder what else Eureka might have from either Toei or Fortune Star, amongst other rightsholders?