Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
onedimension

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3526 Post by onedimension » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 pm

Kind of OT, but I had no idea Anna Karina had directed a couple of films (and was a novelist) - are they possible Criterion releases in quality or historical interest?

Saturnome

#3527 Post by Saturnome » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Vivre ensemble is no masterpiece, it's a bit awkward, a bit obvious and badly written in some places, a bit broken even... the music is annoying and straight out of a 70s daytime soap. I really don't see it in the collection, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Few films feature a rabbit being carried all over New York City, so there's that. I don't have much desire to seek out Victoria, despite the fact it was filmed around where I live.

onedimension

#3528 Post by onedimension » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:14 am

Thanks for the reply - sounds interesting enough but not something a "major label" like Criterion would release

captveg

#3529 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Logistically, I could see them moving up some of the planned Blu-ray upgrades on their internal schedule if no new bonus content was planned for such releases, since it's bonus content that needs to be produced and new masters that still need preparation that would require most of their office work. One (or more) of the four box sets they hinted at in the NYE clue for 2020 could be pushed into 2021 for this reason, too.

movielocke

#3530 Post by movielocke » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:40 am

captveg wrote:Logistically, I could see them moving up some of the planned Blu-ray upgrades on their internal schedule if no new bonus content was planned for such releases, since it's bonus content that needs to be produced and new masters that still need preparation that would require most of their office work. One (or more) of the four box sets they hinted at in the NYE clue for 2020 could be pushed into 2021 for this reason, too.
Indeed I could see quite a lot of their studio canal titles that (like army of shadows) weren’t slated for new editions, (just format upgrades) getting bumped up the queue.

Mixing / audio mastering is the hardest to move work from home just because of all the equipment and sound proofing involved. Grading can be done from home (since most colorists are grading off the scopes as much if not more than the image ) but final spotting would probably try to still be in higher end environment. But still can be done, probably. Research, QC, prep work, editing, restoration, copy work, menu design and approvals can all be done from home and even interviews could be done remotely with a local crew. It won’t be quite the same but it would be pretty good.

Minkin

#3531 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Despite respectful calls for social distancing, nothing can stop the Speculation Rodeo (short of Criterion stopping it I suppose :P ) - June 2020 edition

Come and See - Janus tour + Criterion Channel

Portrait de la jeune fille en feu - Confirmed by NEON

An Unmarried Woman - the Oct 2019 newsletter clue (sorry Diva / Beehive)

The Cameraman - SF Silent Film Fest confirmation + confirmation of Spite Marriage being included as well

Tokyo Olympiad - Upgrade; also available in the 100 Years of Olympics Films set
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
All newsletter clues are spoken for. No word whether there will be new clues after the sad passing of Jason Polan
---------

This month was a very close Rodeo - with many people making great guesses. But of course there can only be one All-Around Cowpoke. And this month's Golden Lariat goes to....

Soundchaser!

With 4/5 correct guesses. Feel free to visit the concession stand at your leisure.

And with that, we have our Speculation Rodeo. In the face of adversity, let us all know that at least the Speculation Rodeo is here to bring us all together. Until next month.

yoloswegmaster

#3532 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Someone on the blu forums is saying that KL confirmed on FB that Criterion had the rights to multiple W.C Fields films.

What A Disgrace

#3533 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:56 pm

A W.C. Fields boxed set would be a major coup.

mfb5150

#3534 Post by mfb5150 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 am

Does anyone know if Criterion are still planning to release Martin Scorsese's "After Hours?" Never have I been more excited for a Criterion release then I was (and still am) for this title. It would seem there could be no better time what with the shorts collection and the forthcoming "The Irishman" and yet....nothing. Has anyone heard anything at all?

movielocke

#3535 Post by movielocke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 am

Ah I wanted to see the bank dick about a year ago and was surprised it’s so hard to find (other than buying mod) no la area libraries have it, although I haven’t checked the stores that still rent vhs, so it’d be nice if criterion got both of those we fields films back in print, and maybe a few more to go with it.

Glowingwabbit

#3536 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:32 am

movielocke wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 am
Ah I wanted to see the bank dick about a year ago and was surprised it’s so hard to find (other than buying mod) no la area libraries have it, although I haven’t checked the stores that still rent vhs, so it’d be nice if criterion got both of those we fields films back in print, and maybe a few more to go with it.
It's still available on DVD via Amazon. I actually just went through all the films in this set over the weekend.

movielocke

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3537 Post by movielocke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
movielocke wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 am
It's still available on DVD via Amazon. I actually just went through all the films in this set over the weekend.
Thank you, I did know I can buy it, and had seen that a few PD boxsets were still available. My personal rules are if I buy a boxset I’m obligated to watch all the films in it and I don’t want to put ten more films in the already overburdened queue. I was surprised there was no Netflix dvd, no library options nor any streaming or streaming rental options.

Glowingwabbit

#3538 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 am

Oh sorry didn't realize you weren't looking to purchase. I'm the same way with boxsets and it's nice to have one more completed. Part of my quarantine mission is to work my way through as many unwatched boxsets as I can.

scubadonc

#3539 Post by scubadonc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:32 am
I just found this exact set at BigLots a month ago for $5. No guarantees that it'll be the same in everyone's areas, but they've been carrying classic films more often in their DVD/Blu-ray displays.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3540 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Glowingwabbit

#3541 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm
Nothing beats this set
Is Million Dollar Legs included? I cant tell by zooming in on the page.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3542 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Yes. It has:

- My Little Chickadee (1940)
- Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941)
- It's a Gift (1934)
- You're Telling Me! (1934)
- Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935)
- The Old Fashioned Way (1934)
- Poppy (1936)
- You Can't Cheat an Honest Man (1939)
- Six of a Kind (1934)
- The Bank Dick (1940)
- Follow the Boys (1944)
- International House (1933)
- Million Dollar Legs (1932)
- Mississippi (1935)
- The Big Broadcast of 1938 (1938)
- Tillie and Gus (1933)
- If I Had a Million (1932)

Glowingwabbit

#3543 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 pm

Thanks Swo! I think I'm gonna grab a used copy I saw on eBay for cheap.

FlickeringWindow

#3544 Post by FlickeringWindow » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 pm

There’s a US set still in print that adds Alice in Wonderland (in which Fields only has a vocal performance in one scene):
https://www.amazon.com/W-C-Fields-Comed ... B012TIKBL8

However, Universal put the 18 films across five DVD-9 discs while the UK set uses 10 discs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3546 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Wonderful!

hearthesilence

#3547 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Excellent news! I wasn't sure if they'd ever get to his work.

I actually met him last year at a screening and got him to sign my MoC edition of The World. He was thrown for a second, because he didn't recognize the packaging (I'm guessing he didn't have direct participation in the reissue?), but then laughed and realized it was his own film.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3548 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Criterion should be doing Jia's first four features eventually, since Janus has the theatrical rights. Xiao Wu was already restored in 4K with support from the Film Foundation and screened at this year's Berlinale.

lzx

#3549 Post by lzx » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 pm

In that case, I could see them putting out the first three together--not sure if Unknown Pleasures is well-known enough to warrant a standalone release--and hopefully including Xiaoshan Going Home in a new restoration too, as the available version looks nasty.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#3550 Post by Shrew » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:53 pm

I think Unknown Pleasures is more well-known than Xiao Wu (at least in the US) and objectively a much better film. However, it was shot on digital and I'm not sure how much restoration could help it. A Jia Zhangke hometown trilogy box set is a big stretch for Criterion, but thematically I could imagine Xiao Wu as an extra for Platform and Unknown Pleasures as an extra for The World.

The real question is whether there's any new cut available for Platform (or even just a version of the original/festival cut). I expect not if nothing's been released in China yet (I half suspect Jia's new cut of Platform he's been talking about for the past few years was an attempt to skirt China's ban on the film due to its unauthorized production that never took fruit).
Last edited by Shrew on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.