Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
movielocke

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2776 Post by movielocke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Luke M wrote:We're not counting all the Bergman films as being upgraded?
All the separate Bergman dvd releases have now been released as upgrades, rather than only upgrades in the BBB. I wasn’t counting them before, but I probably should have.

Close The Door, Raymond

#2777 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:55 pm
It’s listed under the special features.
Yes, I see it now.

The special features listed under the "A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman" box set mention "Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie" but it's not listed in the Special Feature listing for "Winter Light" or any of the other two.

There seems to be differences in the essays between the DVD and Blu-ray releases.

"Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie" will likely be on the "Winter Light" blu-ray just like the Bergman Cinema megaset. It will be on a separate disc in the DVD box set. This explains why the DVD set will have four discs (just like its original release).
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman

Special Features

On the DVD: High-definition digital transfers of all three films
On the Blu-ray: New 2K digital restorations of all three films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
Introductions to the films by director Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003 (Blu-ray only)
Observations on each film by film scholar Peter Cowie, recorded in 2003
Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie, a five-part documentary by Vilgot Sjöman made for Swedish television during the production of Winter Light
Interview from 2012 with actor Harriet Andersson (Blu-ray only)
Audio interview from 1962 with actor Gunnar Björnstrand (Blu-ray only)
Illustrated audio interview with cinematographer Sven Nykvist, recorded in 1981 (Blu-ray only)
Poster gallery
Original U.S. theatrical trailers
Alternate English-dubbed soundtracks
On the DVD: Essays by film scholars Peter Matthews, Peter Cowie, and Leo Braudy, plus a statement from director Vilgot Sjöman
On the Blu-ray: An essay by film scholar Catherine Wheatley and an excerpt from Bergman’s 1987 autobiography, The Magic Lantern
Winter Light

Special Features

On the DVD: High-definition digital transfer
On the Blu-ray: New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
Observations on the film by film scholar Peter Cowie, recorded in 2003
Essay by Peter Cowie (DVD only)
Original theatrical trailer
Alternate English-dubbed soundtrack
Through a Glass Darkly

Special Features

On the Blu-ray: New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
Essay by film scholar Peter Matthews (DVD only)
The Silence

Special Features

Poster gallery
Essay by film scholar Leo Braudy (DVD only)

Finch

#2778 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Pity they didn't choose a box set to also include the other three Astaire/Rogers titles; hopefully at least Top Hat will still follow.

Very strong line up this month!

denti alligator

#2779 Post by denti alligator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 pm

So ... what are the rumors for spine 1000? Citizen Kane, really?

Luke M

#2780 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

denti alligator wrote:So ... what are the rumors for spine 1000? Citizen Kane, really?
Citizen Kane is the rumor but I feel The Grand Budapest Hotel is much more likely.

yoloswegmaster

#2781 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Luke M wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm
denti alligator wrote:So ... what are the rumors for spine 1000? Citizen Kane, really?
Citizen Kane is the rumor but I feel The Grand Budapest Hotel is much more likely.
Why would GBH be 1000? I feel like it would belong to a film of greater importance.

FrauBlucher

#2782 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:05 pm
Luke M wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm
Why would GBH be 1000? I feel like it would belong to a film of greater importance.
Agreed! And I love Grand Budapest Hotel but don't see it as an historic landmark of cinema.

Luke M

#2783 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Spine #100 was the Beastie Boys Anthology even though Do the Right Thing and L'Avventura were right there at #97 and #98. Spine #500 wasn't a bad choice with the Rossellini War Trilogy box but it's not exactly 8 1/2 or Breathless which got forgettable spine numbers. This is all to say I just don't think we should expect 1000 to be treated any more special than 1001.

Saturnome

#2784 Post by Saturnome » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 am

The Beastie Boys Anthology was a celebration of DVD special features, a one of a kind sort of release, so I think it's spine wasn't random.
Last edited by Saturnome on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malickite

#2785 Post by Malickite » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 am

How it's gonna go down:

996 KOKER TRILOGY
997 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
998 MIRROR
999 WONG KAR-WAI BOX SET
1000 THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES
1001 CLUELESS
1002 THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
1003 COME AND SEE
1004 CITIZEN KANE

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2786 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:30 am

Not Bressonaire = fake news

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2787 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:07 am

Everyone, make your conjecture/guesses on the 1000th spine in the Quarantined Monthly Guessing Thread when it’s open and timely to do so, if you must do so. Otherwise, stop while you’re behind with clogging up the forum with this nonsense

R0lf

#2788 Post by R0lf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:00 am

1000 should obviously be PINK FLAMINGOS.

Minkin

#2789 Post by Minkin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 am

Time to saddle up, put on your boots, and get ready for the Speculation Rodeo (June 2019 Edition)

L’humanité - A surprise! Wasn't on the Forthcoming list, but likely an oversight (see below)

La vie de Jésus - 2019 New Years clue (Jesus holding a "V")

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - 2019 New Years clue (owl + worm) + confirmed via Mitchell

War and Peace - 2019 New Years clue (rabbit + peas) + Janus tour + Filmstruck

Swing Time - 2019 New Years clue (clock on swing) + former laserdisc film

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman - The continued trot of Bergman upgrades.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(still) 246 Blu upgrades remain. Bergman Trilogy was already accounted for when the Bergman set was announced. BTW - a boxset only counts as a single entry per my stupid counting rules (so if an upgrade of the Monsters and Madmen set came next month, the new total would be 245).

I didn't mention it here, but I decided to remove 16 Candles (almost certainly abandoned); as well as This is Spinal Tap + West Side Story from the forthcoming list. The latter two were only vaguely guessed via old New Years clues, and haven't received any further confirmation anywhere. So, it was time for them to go. They still might be coming at some point regardless, but I'm not holding onto a several year old clue that sorta works as an answer. I'm going to institute a policy of: unless the clue is extremely obviously pointing at a certain film (such as Y tu Mama Tambien / 16 Candles / etc), it only gets that year to be announced before I remove it from the forthcoming list's New Years section.

bainbridgezu's post from 2016 indicates that Criterion had both Humanité and La vie de Jésus. I must've missed this post, as I didn't add L’humanité to the list. So, this isn't a surprise after all, but it's the closest we come this month.

Time to hit the dusty trail and hope your favorites show up at next month's Rodeo!

Shrew
The Untamed One

#2790 Post by Shrew » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am

There was a phantom page added for Jerome Robbins (co-director of West Side Story) a little after that New Year's clue came out, which is how it jumped from wishful thinking to oh maybe really. It might have simply been moved back in the schedule once Spielberg's remake was announced for a more timely release date, though it's also possible that renewed interest from Fox because of the remake/the Fox-Disney deal canceled the release.

Lowry_Sam

#2791 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 pm

bainbridgezu's post from 2016 indicates that Criterion had both Humanité and La vie de Jésus. I must've missed this post, as I didn't add L’humanité to the list. So, this isn't a surprise after all, but it's the closest we come this month.
Actually these have been mentioned as possibilities a long time ago (pre-blu-Ray & back when Criterion was regularly releasing dvd pairs for directors) and people began speculating that these were imminent when the (letterboxed) dvd (for l’humanite) went out of print over a decade ago, so it’s actually just been so long that it’s fallen off people’s radar.

colinr0380

#2792 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:23 pm

The appearance of Dumont on Criterion does make me hope that perhaps Twentynine Palms might appear at some point. That was a Wellspring release back in the day on US DVD though, so I am not sure how possible that will be.

(As ever thanks to Minkin for doing these very entertaining monthly round up posts!)

Close The Door, Raymond

#2793 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Shrew wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am
There was a phantom page added for Jerome Robbins (co-director of West Side Story) a little after that New Year's clue came out, which is how it jumped from wishful thinking to oh maybe really. It might have simply been moved back in the schedule once Spielberg's remake was announced for a more timely release date, though it's also possible that renewed interest from Fox because of the remake/the Fox-Disney deal canceled the release.
Who owns "West Side Story"?

Mirisch/United Artists first, then it was bought by MGM, right? I thought that Fox only handles distribution on DVD/Bluray for MGM - as an agreement that ends sometime in 2020. But then I read that it was Fox that was releasing the Spielberg remake. Maybe MGM licensed remake rights to Fox?

goblinfootballs

#2794 Post by goblinfootballs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 am

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Who owns "West Side Story"?
Wouldn't it be whomever has the rights for the stage musical?

Edit: In terms of getting rights for a new film adaptation.
Last edited by goblinfootballs on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRW.mov

#2795 Post by DRW.mov » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Distribution rights to Robert Wise’s adaptation of West Side Story are held by MGM.

Black Hat

#2796 Post by Black Hat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 am

Not sure where to put this, or if it’s been mentioned previously, but Look Back in Anger is on its way.

Yaanu

#2797 Post by Yaanu » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 am
Not sure where to put this, or if it’s been mentioned previously, but Look Back in Anger is on its way.
It would go here, but you should include a link to or a screencap of wherever it is that suggests or confirms an impending release.

jwd5275

#2798 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 pm

It was on Filmstruck with a Janus logo, but nothing there implied an impending release.

Blutarsky

#2799 Post by Blutarsky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 pm

I was scrolling through the France filter for DVD and Blu-Rays and came across Rohmer and Godard's early short All The Boys Are Called Patrick and Tourneur's La main du diable on the list. Godard one fascinates me as it could be either apart of a Godard film that is either being reprinted or new film entirely, or Rohmer's Six Moral Tales might include a side disc of features.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2800 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 pm

The Godard was already released on Une femme est une femme