2018 Criterion Forum Awards

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 2018 Criterion Forum Awards

#151 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm almost done tabulating and to state the obvious, I'm more curious not if it wins but by how much it wins compared to whatever's in second place

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#152 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:52 pm

THE 2018 CRITERION FORUM AWARDS

BEST RELEASE
01 Image

02 the Magnificent Ambersons
03 Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood
04 A Matter of Life and Death
05 the Tree of Life
06 Night of the Living Dead
07 Andrei Rublev
08 Female Trouble
09 the Color of Pomegranates
10 True Stories

BEST BOX SET Never Look Away — wow, what an incredible day it's been for this one!

BEST ECLIPSE

“Come on up, Bergman!”

BEST MODERN FILM Graduation

BEST COMMENTARY the Magnificent Ambersons

BEST “BONUS” FILM the Tree of Life Extended Cut

BEST BOOKET Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema

BEST NON-COMMENTARY ON-DISC EXTRA James Steffe on the Color of Pomegranates + VFX feature on A Matter of Life and Death (tie)

BEST REISSUE Andrei Rublev

BEST UPGRADE Mishima

BEST COVER

WORST COVER

BEST PACKAGING True Stories

BEST DISCOVERY King of Jazz + Moonrise (tie)

MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE Bull Durham

MOST-FLAWED RELEASE Shampoo

THREAD OF THE YEAR Carole Lombard: A Complete Annotated Sound Filmography — obv the best call here

MEMBER OF THE YEAR
D A R
K I M
B E C
I L E

RICHARD CRANIUM AWARD
No one received even more than a single vote. So, instead, as a reward for good behavior, here’s a GIF of Rachel McAdams eating a slice that I’ve had saved for the next time someone posted in the pizza thread:

Noiretirc

#153 Post by Noiretirc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Many thanks for your work on this, domino.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#154 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm

And congrats to DarkImbecile!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#155 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 am

Genuinely touched. I've been posting regularly here for more than five years, and I appreciate every day that this place provides a respite from the petty indignities of everyday life. Sure, it replaces them with the petty indignities of suffering through people's misguided reasons for liking Unsane and disliking Alejandro González Iñárritu, but I haven't found any place better yet.

Sincerely, the recognition is much appreciated, as is the time and energy everyone who posts here puts into sharing their thoughts on film, obsessions with auteurs, and unreasonable hatreds of mediocre DVD covers. Extra appreciation to the mods and Chris, who tirelessly keep the forum updated, navigable, and spam-free while also organizing list projects and film club selections and dynamic top tens for nothing more than the reward of indulging their love of film and culture with other like-minded people.

I hope to still be linking dozens of reviews to my absurdly overprecise Top Ten list in 2050, and to be as provoked, intrigued, and amused by the other people in this community as long as good movies are being made, discovered, remastered, and re-evaluated.

/quits job with profane tirade, waits patiently for life-changing cash prize to arrive in the mail

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#156 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 am

Your GIF choice alone shows the board chose wisely. However, quick correction: all mods are paid in minor victories, hurt feelings, and partially-redeemed Red Lobster gift cards

DarkImbecile

#157 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 am

I stand corrected.

Big Ben

#158 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:07 am

You deserve it my guy and I look forward to your coming contributions. That all being being said my hometown does not have a Red Lobster and I'm devastated.

colinr0380

#159 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Hearty congratulations to DarkImbecile for all of your great posts and behind the scenes work on forum threads! For example the Spike Lee filmmaker thread would have been nowhere near as up to date as it now is without your contribution there!

Shrew
The Untamed One

#160 Post by Shrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Also, I greatly appreciate DarkImbecile's comprehensive top films of the year lists as a repository of films I must/should/maybe will see.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#161 Post by soundchaser » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 pm
I'm almost done tabulating and to state the obvious, I'm more curious not if it wins but by how much it wins compared to whatever's in second place
Out of curiosity, what was the gap?

Congrats to DarkImbecile, and this forum as a whole for keeping out of trouble this year. (And I lol'd at the "Best Box Set" award.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#162 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Not as much as I thought while logging, only 21 points (5 points for first place, 4 for second, &c). However, literally everyone who voted for it put it at number one on their list, and that's at least never happened

DarkImbecile

#163 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks, everybody!

By the way, if there's one thing I forgot to mention in the post above, it would be to second Minkin's call for more lurkers and occasional posters to regularly engage in the discussions here. There's no better way to test your opinions and beliefs (and your ability to articulate them clearly) than to be challenged by the collective knowledge and strong personalities of this forum, with the underlying truth that it's still just people talking about movies on the internet — no actual risk! For all the shit I personally gave rrenault in that infamous thread several years ago, I was glad to see him(?) joining in the Awards Season thread this morning after a long absence, and I hope he sticks around and continues to be part of the conversation. And if you haven't had an infighting thread named after you already, there's really no excuse not to drop in and share your thoughts on the latest movie/Criterion extra/fast food menu item that provoked a strong reaction.

Big Ben

#164 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm

I've gotten more comfortable posting here over the past (almost) three years so I hope to be a little more talkative amongst the folks who have had a head start (Some by decades) over me. This site is a great resource that Iove using. The mods have pretty accommodating and great too! Not that I want to put too many ideas in their heads. :D

Saturnome

#165 Post by Saturnome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Despite being a semi-lurker here for more than 10 years, having spent my teenhood reading this forum everyday, I've never been able do to more and really engage in discussions. I'm not articulate enough in English to feel at ease when going above simple and casual remarks, and I'm kind of shy too! I really enjoy reading the forum and it brought me a lot over the years, and while I don't really wish to be more involved than what I do (like the occasional participation in a list project) I want to say that I like you all a lot. I've started using Letterboxd (in french) and it's already a lot for me. Gimme 10 more years and maybe I'll start posting more often!

Noiretirc

#166 Post by Noiretirc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 pm

When I first showed up here (under a different handle) I was a complete train wreck and all of my posts ended up in the basement in very short order.

Then I smartened up, ever so slightly, under this handle, and now only half my posts end up down there.

So don't be shy!!

zedz

#167 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:55 pm

A reminder that our OTHER 2018 awards thread - for all the UK labels - is still running until the end of the month.

Over here.