News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

Re: Fake Criterion Covers

#1051 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 am

Not enough pink Feego.

zedz

#1052 Post by zedz » Sun May 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Very nice Viridiana! (Where were you when we needed you?)

HistoryProf

#1053 Post by HistoryProf » Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 pm

who's going to mock up a Charade blu ray?

MyNameCriterionForum

#1055 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Sun May 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Is that a regular horse or a swimming horse on the Drugstore Cowboy cover?

zedz

#1056 Post by zedz » Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 am

Well at least that last one is about on a par with the film.

Cold Bishop

#1057 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 am

I like most of these. I really do.

villagegreenrecords

#1058 Post by villagegreenrecords » Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks.

Most of those designs I have appropriated from Poster Designs that I made previously for a film Series that I have hosted the past 4 years.

Most of the flyers I spray painted by hand(Drugstore, Amores, About a Son, Solo Con Tu Pareja).

Others were paintings or drawings.

Hopefully I can get more posted on here soon.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#1059 Post by ando » Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am

In the movie Utamaro tells an apiring artist that he and his school makes courtesans look like freaks. I tried to avoid it.

a bit staid but with different software I could actually make it work. :p

LQ

#1060 Post by LQ » Mon May 10, 2010 7:31 am

villagegreenrecords, I quite like some of your covers too (although a few do have the whiff of swimminghorses about them). You should fix the director's name in the Sólo con tu pareja cover: Cuarón, not Cauran. I really like the covers for Naked, Control and Amores Perros though.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1061 Post by tenia » Mon May 10, 2010 12:10 pm

The Cuaron one makes me think of WR : Mysteries of the organism one.
Which I quite like. Making me say I quite like the Cuaron one too.

Anyway, all these spray paintings are a change from all we had so far, I think, and are pretty nice by themselves.

I like the Control one too, but not very much the Tartovsky one.

villagegreenrecords

#1062 Post by villagegreenrecords » Tue May 11, 2010 3:01 am

thanks for the positive feedback!

I would love to change the Cuarón spelling, but that image is literally a scan in of the final spray painted poster, so that's that. But with Photoshop it could be a simple fix.

I have pretty much taken the best posters that I have designed and plugged them into the Criterion Collection DVD template.

If you would like to see many of the other titles that I designed hand made flyers for than visit here:

http://tchsatori.xanga.com/573266311/co ... ack-again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the earlier posters listed on the site are spray painted but I failed to scan the spray painted versions, plus in the winter time it is hard to spray paint outside so I would create flyers that didn't need that extra effort (ie. Naked, Diving Bell, Man Bites Dog, McCabe and Mrs Miller, etc.)

I agree with the WR: Mysteries relation to my Solo Con Tu Pareja - though I feel like my design is only aesthetically similiar, the need to portray so much information and in a vibrant spastic manner sort of dictated the 'starburst' kaliediscope effect... I also get a kick out of all the elements used in the collage that are relevant to the film! That was a fun one to make. And the finished Solo Con Tu Pareja posters were all different, some in pinks, blues, yellows, reds, all sorts of bright colors - with spray paint just about anything goes and no 2 posters are the same.

Rick Brands

#1063 Post by Rick Brands » Sun May 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Some of my recent attempts...

Using my own photos:

Using a photo from the net:

kaujot

#1064 Post by kaujot » Sun May 23, 2010 8:13 pm

The Apostle is far too dour a cover for that really quite joyous film.

Cinephrenic

#1065 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun May 23, 2010 8:45 pm

That bright teal color didn't work. Try white.

Rick Brands

#1066 Post by Rick Brands » Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 am

Kaujot, you're probably right, but I couldn't think of another movie that matches that photo. Guess I should've given it a bit more thought.

Cinephrenic: which one are you referring to? If it is Koyaanisqatsi, I have to disagree; I think it gives the cover a bit of an appropriate "early eighties design"-ish feel.

villagegreenrecords

#1067 Post by villagegreenrecords » Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 am

I like the image used for The Apostle - Maybe not entirely the best representation of the film but a harsh and raw one nonetheless. "Robert Duvall"'s name isn't necassary and feels quite out of place and imbalanced.

The Breaking the Waves one is also an interesting photograph but not the best interpretation - too colorful and psychedelic.

I think the Koyaansqatsi one is the best of the bunch, I agree with your decision to use the teal font. I would recommend tightening up the spacing between "Godfrey Reggio" and the Title... etc...

I really like the Photo for the Koyaanisqatsi!

kaujot

#1068 Post by kaujot » Thu May 27, 2010 3:03 am

Quick question, Rick, are you using the font "Hannah" in your Apostle cover?

Rick Brands

#1069 Post by Rick Brands » Thu May 27, 2010 1:55 pm

@villagegreenrecords: Yeah, I guess so (about the Apostle pic). Perhaps I should've used my color version instead; maybe I'll still do that. I mentioned Robert Duvall's name because he wrote, directed and starred in the movie - seemed pretty relevant to me.

That photo for Koyaanisqatsi isn't mine - though I photoshopped it quite a bit ;-). It's from the net, and was taken on Zabriskie Point, because it started out as a cover for that movie but that didn't work out right.

@kaujot: No, it's called Pablo - after Pablo Ferro, who did the titles and commercials for 'Dr. Strangelove', on which the font is based. You can download it for free here: http://www.fontspace.com/fargoboy/pablo.

Rick Brands

#1070 Post by Rick Brands » Thu May 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Some new ones (with my own photos):

dad1153

#1071 Post by dad1153 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:56 pm

^^^ Two comments on "The Deer Hunter": (a) a little more light showcasing that it's a stuffed deer would diminish the instant first-impression that this is a horror creature feature (ala "The Thing" or "The Fly"), and (b) how do you NOT put Michael Cimino's name on the fucking cover above his movie's title? [-(

kaujot

#1072 Post by kaujot » Thu May 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Rick Brands wrote:@kaujot: No, it's called Pablo - after Pablo Ferro, who did the titles and commercials for 'Dr. Strangelove', on which the font is based. You can download it for free here: http://www.fontspace.com/fargoboy/pablo.
Yeah, I've heard of Pablo (both the font and the person :P). Hannah is a very similar font, but has several weights, though weights for Hannah actually means widths. It's fascinating what you can produce with it.

Rick Brands

#1073 Post by Rick Brands » Thu May 27, 2010 9:38 pm

@dad1153: a) It's pretty obvious that it's a mounted deer head, and the title is also sufficiently legible. b) I tried to keep it simple, just like I didn't mention FF Coppola in the Dracula one - which I guess is justified, if you would have bothered checking the third and first comment before that one. I know it's wrong, but from time to time I actually listen to people.

@jaukot: I didn't intend to act condescending or anything. I'm content about the Pablo font, and it's also pretty useful. Still, thanks for the tip.

Cinephrenic

#1074 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm

The film's title is very misleading (regarding Deer Hunter), and having a picture of a deer just makes it worse. It not your fault, but I don't think the metaphor works for the film.

Rick Brands

#1075 Post by Rick Brands » Thu May 27, 2010 10:16 pm

That's why I didn't put 'deer' in capitals, to emphasize the 'hunting' part; I believe the film's title is a highly astute metaphor between war (deer hunting, through which the protagonists meet or - more specifically - bond), and friendship (between two friends in war, and how they react differently to the situation - again a very important scene that returns to the earlier one where De Niro neglects to kill the deer because of some inexplicable bond he feels with it). This whole movie seems to be a mirror to itself and its main characters; hence, the pseudo-symmetry.