Eclipse Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Tommaso

#751 Post by Tommaso » Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 am

zedz wrote:Eclipse could still handle these if they allow for some randomization of the box concepts, however (e.g. 'First Films', 'Forgotten Treasure Vol 1' - collecting together three pretty much unrelated titles).
I basically cherish this idea, too. But there should be some sort of order to the randomness, nevertheless. I can't see much sense in a box set that would collect together 'first films' of (for example) Rohmer, Antonioni, Pasolini and Melville. Though each of the films in question would be worthy additions, they'd probably cater to totally different audiences. What I could well imagine is something along the lines of Kino's "German Expressionism" box, four unrelated films made by different directors but sharing some qualities of mood and cinematographic style. On the other hand, if I only think of those directors already being released in the main line, there'd be room for at least ten more 'old-style' Eclipse sets before they run out of suitable material. I'd have no problems with another Eclipse set containing Lubitsch silents, for example, or even something like "Very Early Kurosawa" (though I also want Mizoguchi, Gremillon, Sternberg, Rossellini first).

Schreck's idea on single Eclipse releases is great, but perhaps even harder to sell to a wider public. If they kept the slim line cases for these, the 'normal' buyer would start to wonder why there are these 'unattractive' and cheap discs among the normal program in the shops. If they put them into standard cases, people would perhaps be disappointed by the lack of extras and booklets. I mean, any cheapo WB disc of classic films is likely to contain at least some trailer or an additional cartoon or something without being much more expensive (if at all).

So, I don't know what would be best for Eclipse to proceed, and perhaps they actually DON'T have any troubles saleswise. As long as they don't duplicate films already existing on their own in classy editions elsewhere, I can't see why anyone would want to abstain from such a set if they are interested in the director in question. I only abstained from the Kurosawa set for the moment for obvious reasons, and this is perhaps the only set that would have sold better if these films were made available individually, apart from the "Scandal" and "Idiot" discs, of course.

Morbii

#752 Post by Morbii » Wed May 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but due to the lack of new Eclipse anouncements I emailed and asked about it.
Tamara Hellgren wrote:We appreciate your eagerness for new Eclipse series, and if all goes well the next one should be coming out in September.

Hopscotch

#753 Post by Hopscotch » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Morbii wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but due to the lack of new Eclipse anouncements I emailed and asked about it.
Tamara Hellgren wrote:We appreciate your eagerness for new Eclipse series, and if all goes well the next one should be coming out in September.
Damn. The only good part about that news is that now I have time to catch up on Eclipse boxes / a bundle of other DVDs I want but don't have.

HerrSchreck

#754 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Wow. This line is hiccuping big time.

movielocke

#755 Post by movielocke » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 am

damn that probably means that with the rossellini and whats-her-name (russian filmmaker, shapiro?) coming we probably wont' see a mizoguchi set until november at best. personally I'd rather they released one-two eclipse sets per month and only one or two criterion releases. it gets us more variety and I rarely watch extras anymore.

souvenir

#756 Post by souvenir » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 am

Stating the obvious here, but even if we get one Eclipse set from September onward, that's only 8 for the year (and December seems doubtful) - a pretty far cry from the initial promise of 12 per year.

cgray

#757 Post by cgray » Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 am

souvenir wrote:pretty far cry from the initial promise of 12 per year.
On the other hand, we got blu this year. The promise made there was that they would continue to evaluate the situation and plunge into hi-def at the right time. When they "promised" 12 Eclipse sets, they did not know that HD-DVD would kick the bucket so soon, allowing Criterion to enter the game. I, for one, think the trade off is acceptable. We know they're a relatively small company, and they're doing a lot!

Perkins Cobb

#758 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 pm

What?! Nothing new in August, either? Screw Blu ... I'll trade 20 of those ugly-ass mothers for one good Eclipse box.

Awright, where Criterion's new address again? It's time for a beatdown.

Perkins Cobb

#759 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm

... and in other news, I think MOC, BFI, and some French labels can thank Tamara for finally making a sale on some Naruse and Mizoguchi DVDs.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#760 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I strongly suspect that the rest of BFI's Naruse set will show up on Eclipse -- eventually. I don't think the films in the MOC set are nearly as likely to surface there (not any time soon).

An Eclipse release of the 1950s Mizoguchi films will not eclipse the MOC sets -- though surely at least some of these will eventually show up as full-scale (full-price) Criterion releases.

Shochiku's Shimizu box sets have helped allay the impact of the Eclipse slow down for me.

colinr0380

#761 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I strongly suspect that the rest of BFI's Naruse set will show up on Eclipse -- eventually. I don't think the films in the MOC set are nearly as likely to surface there (not any time soon).
I may hold you to that since I've got the MoC but not the BFI box yet. I was holding off since I had already picked up the Criterion edition of 'Broad Climbing The Steps' (If you'll allow me to describe it in those Herr Schreck-ian terms!)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#762 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Broad?

Broad!!??

In any event, if I was Criterion -- I'd do "Floating Clouds" as a Criterion release -- and an Eclipse box set with "Late Chrysanthemums", "Lightning" and one more -- "Older Brother, Younger Sister", or "Sudden Rain" or "Wife" or "Mother" or "Husband and Wife".

mattkc

#763 Post by mattkc » Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:"Older Brother, Younger Sister", or "Sudden Rain" or "Wife" or "Mother" or "Husband and Wife".
Or, a box set of those five would be very nice. I'm also desperate to get my hands on any of the late ones that I haven't seen though, like Anzukko, Whistling in Kotan, Evening Stream, Approach of Autumn...

On the other hand, a 40s set containing Traveling Actors, The Song Lantern, and A Tale of Archery would be wonderful too. I simply don't understand why more Naruse isn't available. Honestly I'd be a bit disappointed if Criterion gave us Late Chrysanthemums and Floating Clouds after all this wait (though I realize it's very likely - and I'd certainly be glad for anything at this point).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#764 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 pm

mattkc wrote:Or, a box set of those five would be very nice. I'm also desperate to get my hands on any of the late ones that I haven't seen though, like Anzukko, Whistling in Kotan, Evening Stream, Approach of Autumn...
The only film on your list I HAVE seen is Approach of Autumn (which is interesting and unusual for Naruse), the others remain frustratingly out of reach.
On the other hand, a 40s set containing Traveling Actors, The Song Lantern, and A Tale of Archery would be wonderful too.
My favorite 40s film is Haru no mezame (Spring Awakens / Puberty). Song Lantern and Traveling Actors tie for second place. Tale of Archery is interesting -- but I like Hideko the Bus Conductress even more.

Naruse's best historical film is probably Okuni and Gohei.

mattkc

#765 Post by mattkc » Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 am

Are you listening Criterion? Box sets of Traveling Actors, Hideko the Bus Conductress, The Song Lantern, Tale of Archery, Spring Awakens, and Anzukko, Summer Clouds, Whistling in Kotan, Evening Stream, Approach of Autumn, and a deluxe box set of Mother, Lightning, Okuni and Gohei, Wife, Older Brother, Younger Sister, Husband and Wife, Late Chrysanthemums, and Sudden Rain, pronto.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#766 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 16, 2008 9:41 am

mattkc wrote:Are you listening Criterion? Box sets of Traveling Actors, Hideko the Bus Conductress, The Song Lantern, Tale of Archery, Spring Awakens, and Anzukko, Summer Clouds, Whistling in Kotan, Evening Stream, Approach of Autumn, and a deluxe box set of Mother, Lightning, Okuni and Gohei, Wife, Older Brother, Younger Sister, Husband and Wife, Late Chrysanthemums, and Sudden Rain, pronto.
If only.

Right now, just having Criterion's Naruse catalog stretch beyond one film seems like a somewhat distant goal. ;~{

justeleblanc

#767 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 16, 2008 10:57 am

I have a feeling Naruse and Gorin will be coming later this year on Eclipse.

Ovader

#768 Post by Ovader » Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am

justeleblanc wrote:I have a feeling Naruse and Gorin will be coming later this year on Eclipse.
Gorin messaged me stating it is in the works. No mention whether it will be an Eclipse release but this discussion implies a proper Criterion edition.

GringoTex

#769 Post by GringoTex » Fri May 16, 2008 11:35 am

Ovader wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:I have a feeling Naruse and Gorin will be coming later this year on Eclipse.
Gorin messaged me stating it is in the works. No mention whether it will be an Eclipse release but this discussion implies a proper Criterion edition.
Gorin was interviewed for it, so it's Criterion (unless they changed their mind).

sidehacker

#770 Post by sidehacker » Fri May 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Call me a pessimist but I think it's going to be a long time before Naruse's pre-Ginza Gesho films make a digital appearance.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#771 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 16, 2008 12:22 pm

sidehacker wrote:Call me a pessimist but I think it's going to be a long time before Naruse's pre-Ginza Gesho films make a digital appearance.
I fear you are correct -- and yet, some of these seem to be in pretty good shape. One problem -- most experts are on record as saying none of these films are of any value. ;~{

HerrSchreck

#772 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri May 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Morbii wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but due to the lack of new Eclipse anouncements I emailed and asked about it.
September eh? owned.

colinr0380

#773 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Ah yes but perhaps Tamara was posting after all the work on the Shepitko set had been done so from her point of view the next set was September - she just forgot the last one had not yet been announced!

HerrSchreck

#774 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri May 16, 2008 2:29 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Ah yes but perhaps Tamara was posting after all the work on the Shepitko set had been done so from her point of view the next set was September - she just forgot the last one had not yet been announced!
Who knows, this one may actually hit in September.

esl

#775 Post by esl » Sat May 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote: One problem -- most experts are on record as saying none of these films are of any value.
Then maybe we should question whether these "experts" are of any value. :wink: