Eclipse Series 3: Late Ozu

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#126 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:I will give them all another look (or two) and hopefully I will be more perceptive.
It is not a matter of perceptiveness so much as getting beyond preconceptions. One tends to create an "idea of Ozu" from seeing "Late Spring" and "Tokyo Story" (in conjunction with all the critical conventional wisdom that tells you how one is supposed to respond to them.) -- and then, when one sees, one of "lesser" Ozu films, one feels jarred somehow. This is almost surely what happened to me when I first saw "Equinox Flower".

As I re-watched Ozu I noticed that I found more and more humor in "Tokyo Story" and "Late Spring" -- and more subtlety and depth in the supposedly more light-weight works. I still wouldn't rank any of the films in the Late Ozu set (except "Tokyo Twilight") as one of my very top Ozu favorites (though EF comes close now) -- but I also would not want to do without any of them. The only Ozu film of the 50s/60s that I feel almost no need to re-watch again is "Munekata Sisters" (still doesn't work for me, even after three or four viewings).

King of Kong

#127 Post by King of Kong » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm

My box arrived today - a nicely packaged little number. Will dip into the films soon - I haven't seen Early Spring or Tokyo Twilight yet, so I'm looking forward.

ellipsis7

#128 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:54 am

As regards Setsuko Hara's Irish roots and her distant cousin Maureen, there's another clue from Ozu's earliest extant film DAYS OF YOUTH (1929), in the title sequence among the collection of objects, symbols and motto "2 is Company" representing student life, in bottom centre frame is a prominent box bearing the emblem of a Shamrock and the label 'Irish Hearts'...

Clearly we're talking O'Zu rather than Ozu!...

kekid

#129 Post by kekid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:50 pm

The concept of Eclipse combines two unrelated attributes: (1) DVDs issued under this label do not go through the rigorous image cleanup that Criterion DVDs do (don't know if "restoration" is the right word to capture this), and (2) they do not have any extras. I think putting these two ideas together under one concept will eventually lead to difficulties, and I believe the Late Ozu set is the first example of this problem.

Conceptually it is difficult to see how late Ozu films would not merit a proper restoration effort. Criterion has made arbitrary decision to include some late Ozu's in this package while excluding others (E.g. An Autumn Afternoon). On the other hand it is easy to see that after issuing several Ozu's with extra material they would run out of good options. It seems to me that the Late Ozu set should have gone through careful image cleanup/restoration, but left without the extras. But this would not fit the stated scope of the Eclipse rubric.

I distinguish late Ozu's from the Documentaries of Louis Malle and Early Bergman in this regard (and from Ozu silents, as and when they happen). Eclipse concept of issuing bundles of films (at low cost) that do not have a large audience works perfectly for the first two boxes. I believe the concept does not apply to Late Ozu.

In summary I would like to float the idea that between Criterion and Eclipse there is room for a middle tier. Films that are important enough to merit restoration effort but do not carry extras would fall into this tier. This tier would address some of the important films of directors who made many important films.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#130 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:44 pm

I really do think there are many good reasons for excluding "Autumn Afternoon" from this set. The most important is that people here would have been pretty angry if Criterion had simply released a port of the Shochiku DVD (with subs) -- as the first reel or so of that version has very serious problems. Significant restoration (and perhaps alternate source material) is needed. The films included in Late Ozu are in pristine condition compared to the beginning of AA.

As to supporting materials, I suppose people simply need to do a bit of research and create some do-it-yourself extra DVD extras (there are no existing (significant) interviews or documentaries other than those already provided in connection with prior releases).

My Man Godfrey

#131 Post by My Man Godfrey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:05 pm

I write this very cautiously (and, of course, I'm happy to be set straight), but is it possible that some of these movies are a little overrated?

I didn't have any "preconceptions about Ozu" going into this set -- just an excitement about finally sitting down with the films of a director I hadn't spent much time with. In other words, I don't think my reaction can be chalked up to frustrated expectations.

The films in this set feel so reiterative to me: reiterative of one another and reiterative within themselves; every point, every idea, is laid out so unambiguously, at such length, and underlined again and again.

Obviously, this is a matter of taste to some extent. I watched "Equinox Flower" w/some of my "normal" friends (i.e., people who aren't obsessive film buffs, and don't have any particular stake in being into Yasujiro Ozu); they all found it punishingly dull, largely because the characters seem to be explicitly articulating absolutely everything; there's so little work for the viewer to do here, so little subtext.

The Criterion essay remarks very vaguely on Ozu's genius in placing a red teakettle in the corner of the frame in a couple of scenes. Maybe, then, the problem is not that the film's subtext is too thin for me; maybe the problem is that the puzzles of the movie -- what does the red teakettle symbolize, and what does it have to do with this endless, prosaic dialogue? -- are too complex for me. I don't understand why the presence of a red teakettle -- even one that balances the colors in the frame in a lovely way -- would turn a tedious scene into a masterful one.

On the other hand, I grasp that the bottle of orange soda on the dinner table is a subtle nod to cultural and generational shifts in Japan, the intrusion, perhaps, of western culture -- but a meaningful bottle of soda is not, in itself, enough to make a movie a classic. Is it?

Can somebody explain to me -- without being condescending, or sneering at my obtuseness (and if I seem like I'm sneering, please trust that the medium is garbling my tone; I'm not trying to dismiss Ozu or insult his fans, whose passion is evident all over this site) -- why these movies are so great? Here are a few questions I have:

1) Can these movies be enjoyable in 2007 to people who don't take a special pleasure in poring over the fabric of Japanese culture at a very specific historical moment?

To clarify what I mean: Rashomon and Ikiru are two of my favorite movies. Sansho the Bailiff as well. While these films comment in any number of ways on Japanese culture, the storytelling is ultimately universal. While Ikiru is a "slow" movie -- in places, maybe, too slow -- it's so emotionally resonant. Until some point in the future when we become immortal, any film that considers the questions Ikiru's looking at will be relevant. In a sense, Ikiru can't ever be dated, because the questions it's dealing with are so fundamental.

In the case of these Ozu films, though, it feels like there's a point when I "get" the movie -- when I feel like I appreciate the contrasts the film is trying to draw, the themes the picture's trying to elucidate -- and then the movie goes on for another hour. (It's similiar to the impatience I felt while watching Adaptation: long after I got the clever joke, and knew exactly where the movie was going, I had to sit by and watch as the movie continued the joke and went exactly where I'd suspected it was going: it's a po-mo movie about a hack screenwriter that becomes, itself, a hack Hollywood movie! Compare that to Eternal Sunshine, where the final scenes are full of revelations.)

2) Why does nobody comment on Ozu's conservatism as a filmmaker? Does nobody else find this stifling?

The first time I saw an Ozu film (years ago), I experienced moments of impatience, but on the whole I found the film enjoyable because it was immersing me in something new. Not just the time and place that the film was portraying -- the costumes and sets, the customs that the film neutrally observed -- but the mise-en-scene, the careful construction of the shots and scenes, the lovely establishing shots . . . and the quiet feeling of the movie as a whole.

Watching the films in this set, I'm not experiencing that same pleasure, because there's no sense of discovery. These movies look like they were all filmed on the same sets. Ozu uses the same camera set-up, the same lens, in every shot. The actors are often the same from film to film (not a problem in itself, of course; look at my avatar), and the characters they're playing feel very similar. The titles -- Early Spring, Late Spring, the End of Summer, Tokyo Story, Tokyo Twilight, etc. It even seems like these scores are being recycled in these movies -- the weirdly inappropriate elevator music that hums in the background of many of the most dramatic scenes.

In other words, my admiration for the careful composition of the shots fades a little when I see that Ozu was making little variations on the same film for decades on end. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that some of his films were explicitly remakes of his earlier pictures! (Not to return too often to a comparison that may be inappropriate in many ways . . . but consider how different, and yet how accomplished, Ikiru, Ran, Rashomon, and Yojimbo are. And to the Ozu-philes who will respond that Kurosawa, in his samurai films, was doing much was Ozu does in this set -- endlessly refining a style, and a theme -- I'll say that Kurosawa's more straight-ahead samurai epics, while enjoyable, are, for me, his least interesting films. I do not include, in this category, movies like Throne of Blood and, of course, Rashomon, which after all is more of a courtroom drama than a samurai picture.)

(One of the reasons I'm using Kurosawa as a point of reference, by the way, is so that my questions won't be waved away on the grounds that I "don't appreciate Japanese cinema." From Toho to Ghibli to Beat Takeshi to Takashi Miike, I love Japanese cinema -- although some of the films I've seen in the "salaryman" genre haven't much impressed me.)

In academia, it's well known that the way to "make your reputation" is not to pursue a spectrum of diverse interests, but to find the tiniest possible niche and repeat the same exercise, ad nauseam, for 30 or 40 years. In this way, you make yourself "indispensable"; if somebody wants to discuss "the motif of the canoe in American literature of the late 1830s," they won't be able to get away with ignoring your work . . . and the university you work for can sell itself as possessing the top 1830s canoe-guy (or -gal) in the academy.

I wonder if something similar doesn't happen with filmmakers -- that people like Ozu, by refining and refining the same movie over 40 years, enshrine themselves because they, and they alone, stand for a very specific cinematic idea, while artists who are a bit more restless are easier to ignore -- and, finally, to forget.

Of course, it's possible -- and even likely -- that I just haven't seen the right Ozu movies, the ones that will turn me around. But when a movie as obviously flawed as, e.g., Tokyo Twilight, is discussed as though it were above critique -- a masterpiece -- I become suspicious.

On another message board on this site -- "The Worst Criterion Essayist Ever," or something -- one of the posters ridiculed a critic for calling Hitchcock's movies "superficial." I happen to love Hitchcock, but that idea -- that there's a certain superficiality to some of his work -- doesn't strike me as heretical, insulting, or insane; I'd like to hear more of this critic's opinion, and see whether and to what extent I disagree. But in this forum post, the idea that a critic had called Hitchcock's movies "superficial" was viewed as so discrediting in itself that it required no response; the fact that somebody would venture to make a mild criticism of Hitchcock was enough to totally discredit the critic.

I mention this here because of the reviews I've read of the Ozu box -- even Dave Kehr's in the New York Times -- very few of them have done a good job explaining what it is about these movies that makes them so vibrant, and essential. Instead, the critics sound hamstrung, intimidated.

Are Ozu's films -- like Hitchcock's -- so canonical that their essential greatness is no longer open to serious debate? And another question: when a film (or filmmaker) achieves that status, isn't the film less alive, somehow?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing some of the Ozu-philes' responses. In the meantime, consider me an Ozu fan in the making.

ellipsis7

#132 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:35 pm

For me the greatness of Ozu is that he can extract so much power using so little effect, and the ever fascinating discovery of how he does it from apparently little means... I have a still from the BFi framed here on my writing desk, of the dawn after the mother dies in Tokyo Story, Setsuko Hara and Chishu Ryu looking over the bay, and if you follow Bruce Block's Visual Structure thoughtline we find the composition positively zinging with dramatic tension of an exacerbated kind, deceptively offset by the subtle and subdued minimalist dialogue and lack of action... Which explains what I feel when I watch that scene, and many others from Ozu...

Creativity is a process of subtraction rather than addition said Bresson and indeed Renoir, so by restricting his palette Ozu can achieve greater heights, and a finesse and purity of cinema that remains very real today...
Last edited by ellipsis7 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette

#133 Post by Ornette » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm

My admiration of the films of Ozu doesn't lie in "Japanese culture at a very specific historical moment" -- it's all about the emotional resonances of the characters and, as ellipsis7 metioned, the little means Ozu uses to convey these.

During my first attemps to watch a Ozu film, I think I fell asleep every time -- nothing that took place on the screen just couldn't get a hold on me. By some reason that's unknown to me I didn't give up and kept watching and rewatching his movies until I didn't fall asleep.

I think that if you keep focusing on decipher the meaning of a red teakettle placed in the corner of the frame or a glass of orange jucie, you'll never "get it". You won't find any revelations like you can find in Adaptation or in Eternal Sunshine..., which, btw, is two movies that I love, but that love has absolutely nothing to do with some kind of sense of revelations. If revelations was something relevant for me, and I kind of think this is the main issue here, it wouldn't be much point in rewatching any movie when I've "figured everything out". Watching the films by Ozu is for me about being immersed in a bunch of characters, characters that suffers from the same daily trials as I do, experience the kind of traumas that could happen to everyone and while this isn't a big deal to fill a screen with, it's the way that Ozu presents this and how he manages to extract such powerful and potent performances from his actors -- that's what's so amazing about Ozu for me.

Ozu is probably the one director that I've stuggled the most with to appreciate and the reward that I got in return...well, I there isn't much that I'd change it for.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#134 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:02 pm

I find Ozu's films almost unfailingly interesting -- and Ikiru and Rashomon rather dull (though there are other Kurosawa films I find more rewarding). It may just be a matter of temperament.

Ozu is not about novelty of stories or excitingness of plots. Many of the late films are experimental -- in that he changes some variables, and looks at how differently things will play out. He is neither artistically nor sociopolitically conservative. He may lament old ways lost -- but recognizes these were also very problematic. He may find new ways troubling, but recognize that these may offer opportunities hitherto unavailable to his characters. Stylistic formalism (involving playing with constant variation of parameters) is more arguably radically modernist rather than old-fashioned.

There is no hidden symbolism in the way he plays with shapes and colors -- rather it is a matter of delighting in visual playfulness. and the manipulation of plot and character variables is intended to have a similar impact. He is much more like the cinematic equivalent of Haydn than of Tchaikowsky. The enjoyment in Haydn and Ozu comes from paying close enough attention to details and patterns that one can enjoy/appreciate what is going on. With Tchaikowsky and Kurosawa -- the enjoyment comes from grand gestures -- one need not pay especially close attention to get the point.

His use of music is sure to irritate those who prize scores that reinforce a film's message or mood. But Ozu generally saw film music as aural wall-paper -- and detested music that interfered in any way with what he was trying to establish visually (or psychologically).

ToKem

#135 Post by ToKem » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:07 am

What I like so much about Ozu, is the natural and consistent way in which these films evolve and unfold, eventually into a full story with true historical depth and formally into a unified whole. This has a lot to do with Ozu's directorial style. Everything that is shown and told has received its very own proper time and space. That ‘every point, every idea, is laid out so unambiguously, at such length, and underlined again and again', does not mean that you only have to take notice of the facts and remember them; much rather you have to reflect upon the way the film speaks to you: how it looks, sounds, refers back to and anticipates on, etc. With Ozu, I have the feeling and knowledge that I am there when it happens, that I am present and living in the same time and world. This can happen because my interpretative skills and capabilities are not ignored in favour of plot economics, because my willingness to think is taken serious and is called for. Watching, or better: constructing an Ozu film indeed takes a lot of effort – at times I still fall asleep or have to turn off the film because it has turned into mere talk and pictures. But when I am into it, Ozu offers great enjoyment and knowledge. These simply are open and honest films.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#136 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:38 am

ToKem wrote:Watching, or better: constructing an Ozu film indeed takes a lot of effort
I think you make a good point -- Ozu calls for active and engaged watching/listening/reflection. It is much easier to appreciate Kurosawa and even Mizoguchi in a more passive fashion, I don't think this means Ozu is better (or worse) than Kurosawa or Mizoguchi -- just very very different.

Maybe related, maybe not -- I often feel like I KNOW the people in Ozu's later films. Whereas the charactrers in Kurosawa and Mizoguchi, however grand and glorious (or base and mean) generally seem like abstractions.

Kenji

#137 Post by Kenji » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:17 am

Ozu achieves extraodinary depth of characterisation and emotion within his apparently limited ambition; there's a whole world to be found in his films. Mizo and Kurosawa were certainly more theatrical in their character presentation -though at times of course we can be very engaged in the plight of Mizo's characters, not simply admiring his refined mise-en-scene, social message and eye for beauty.

Much as i admire the carefully crafted handling of colour on Ozu's late films, and i'm not convinced many really add much to his overall achivement; most of his greatest masterpieces are in B+W. His variations on an apparently limited theme may work both for and against him, but there's so much pleasure to be had in attention to small details.

In any event, he, Mizo and Kurosawa all worked at a level far above anything currently on offer in Hollywood, indeed in the first 2 cases, almost anywhere past and present.

i tend to prefer his B+W masterpieces

Mr Sheldrake

#138 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:12 am

A second view of Early Spring leaves me floundering still. Even the title is off putting - the story seems mired in the dog days of summer, literally and figuratively.

Dull, lifeless characters, except for Goldfish who the hero tosses aside. A loveless marraige reunited in a hellish mountain town, hotter than Tokyo, with thick black poisonous smoke bellowing skyward.

Is Ozu saying that we must accept the bland hopelessness of life? Try our best to find a few moments of happiness? Why does he keep repeating scenes of characters saying something to the effect that "Life Sucks" followed by a moment of silence as the characters stare downward?

Or is Ozu a portrayer, describing the way he sees things without making judgements? People are in fact dull, they make bad decisions, they ultimately conform to whats expected of them. When they don't conform bad things may happen. Life does suck for most of us.

Since we have more than doubled the R1 output (4-9) it may be useful to question Ozu's greatness for those of us new to his work. This is the only place I've found that is discussing it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#139 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:35 am

Shedldrake -- I think you may have made a mistake in buying the Ozu set. I suspect that you simply have no sympathy for what Ozu is trying to do. Nor should you feel obliged to feel such sympathy. Not every film maker resonates with every possible viewer.

Ozu IS documenting the stultification of middle class life caused by the increasing corporatization of Japanese culture. He is dealing with the same sort of theme Masumura tackles in "Giants and Toys" and Kurosawa in "Bad Sleep Well". The difference is that he tackles the task in a much more realistic fashion.

I reject your description of the character as "dull and lifeless". The three main characters -- hero, heroine and Goldfish -- are all people who are hurting but still _looking_ for life (each in their own ways). The hero and heroine (for lack of better terms) did love each other -- but loss of a child and growing estrangement caused by a work culture that barely lets the husband and wife see each other -- have taken a heavy toll.

Ozu (through Chishu Ryu) offers a quite radical (for Japan in the mid-50s) solution. Rejection of the corporate rat race and the contemporary notion of business "success". A posting to a "dull provincial town" has allowed Ryu to have have a family life (and to get to know his children). Ryu advises our hero to look at "banishment" as a blessing in disguise (and works behind the scenes to effect a reconciliation between the separated couple). And both husband and wife seem to accept (provisionally) this possibility -- yet still have some (understandable) fear of what the future holds for them.

Kenji

#140 Post by Kenji » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:35 am

Well, i see Ozu as a non-judgmental, humanist, socially concerned observer and portrayer of a variety of situations. I like Early Spring, but i know Far East specialist critic Tony Rayns considers it (negatively) as very Conservative in outlook.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#141 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:38 am

Kenji wrote:Well, i see Ozu as a non-judgmental, humanist, socially concerned observer and portrayer of a variety of situations. I like Early Spring, but i know Far East specialist critic Tony Rayns considers it (negatively) as very Conservative in outlook.
Is rejection of the notion that one should sacrifice one's family life to corporate success (or even just corporate getting along) a conservative concept?

Not in my world. ;~}

Mr Sheldrake

#142 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:41 am

In looking over the Ozu filmography I forgot that Ohayo (Good Morning) is available R1. I saw it years ago and I regret to say all I can recall is being annoyed by a slew of bratty kids.

I have read that Early Spring is part of the salaried class genre of Japanese films. Perhaps some of my dismay over the direction the film takes has more to do with Ozu fulfilling expectations of a genre Japanese audiences were familiar with.

jguitar

#143 Post by jguitar » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:59 am

My Man Godfrey wrote:The Criterion essay remarks very vaguely on Ozu's genius in placing a red teakettle in the corner of the frame in a couple of scenes. Maybe, then, the problem is not that the film's subtext is too thin for me; maybe the problem is that the puzzles of the movie -- what does the red teakettle symbolize, and what does it have to do with this endless, prosaic dialogue? -- are too complex for me. I don't understand why the presence of a red teakettle -- even one that balances the colors in the frame in a lovely way -- would turn a tedious scene into a masterful one.
Just to take up the point about the red teakettle (since other points have already been addressed): it's very difficult to watch movies and not ascribe meaning to everything, since that's what most of us have been taught in classes and through books. Take a look at Bordwell's book on Ozu, which is available for free online as a PDF. The point that Bordwell makes is that something like the red teakettle exists purely as a formal device--order without meaning, in E.H. Gombrich's terms. It's a mistake to see everything as bearing significance since (again paraphrasing Bordwell) meaning is only one effect of an artwork. Ozu, along with Bresson and a few others, typify what Bordwell calls parametric filmmaking, where part of their strategy is to establish and play with the parameters of form, as a parallel system to plot, characterization, etc.

Mr Sheldrake

#144 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm

I find Michael Kerpan's description of Early Spring much more compelling, even more beautifully stated, than the film itself.

But why shouldn't I have bought the Ozu set? I was on his wavelength in Late Spring and Tokyo Story and to a lesser extent in Floating Weeds and Early Summer.

Kenji

#145 Post by Kenji » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Kenji wrote:Well, i see Ozu as a non-judgmental, humanist, socially concerned observer and portrayer of a variety of situations. I like Early Spring, but i know Far East specialist critic Tony Rayns considers it (negatively) as very Conservative in outlook.
Is rejection of the notion that one should sacrifice one's family life to corporate success (or even just corporate getting along) a conservative concept?
I don't consider Ozu as conservative or Conservative, though he's often described as such, partly due to his late arrival with the use of sound and colour etc- to me this is more a sign of wanting to ensure mastery first- and the importance of family in his films. Family is hardly the sole preserve of the political right, after all, and his sympathies are not rooted in reactionary traditional attitudes of the older generation- he covers a range of attitudes (in individual films and through his career) within different ages and situations, with empathy rather than easy condemnation or manipulation to a single viewpoint. At least that's how i see it, but Michael K is the expert.

Kurosawa films may often appeal in their Samurai violence to the more gung-ho right-wingers, but he was on the Left as, despite a tendency to put his own career and status first and foremost, was Mizoguchi- consistently concerned with gender and social injustice. Of course notions of political Left and Right and Conservatism are often too simplistic.
Mr Sheldrake wrote:I find Michael Kerpan's description of Early Spring much more compelling, even more beautifully stated, than the film itself.

But why shouldn't I have bought the Ozu set? I was on his wavelength in Late Spring and Tokyo Story and to a lesser extent in Floating Weeds and Early Summer.
Of course even without specific meanings, red teakettles can be useful for creating a sense of "off-screen space". As for Bresson, well i think Ozu is a far less mannered and comfortably superior artist. Both have a unique style which are in fashion as a distinct alternative to Hollywood excess, and so are also easily championed as prime examples of auteurist cinema. Mark Cousins' book The Story of Film places Ozu at the very pinnacle of directors for establishing a style all his own, as a genuine innovator.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#146 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:Perhaps some of my dismay over the direction the film takes has more to do with Ozu fulfilling expectations of a genre Japanese audiences were familiar with.
"Home dramas" have been one of the staples of Japanese cinema since the 1920s. And it is a genre that is virtually non-existent in the US. (Not that there aren't isolated examples). Some directors made a career of fulfilling expectations of the genre, others by playing games with the conventions. Ozu tends to belong to the latter group.

Several of Ozu's (and Naruse's) earliest films are "salary man" films (a sub-category of home drama). The best of these are "I Was Born But" and (in a way) "Only Son".
Mr Sheldrake wrote:I find Michael Kerpan's description of Early Spring much more compelling, even more beautifully stated, than the film itself.
I'm flattered -- but there is nothing in my description that doesn't come directly out of the film. It really is all in there -- but for some reason you just aren't seeing it. (Not a criticism -- just an observation). I would admit -- this is NOT an easy to like film. One has to pay very close attention to see what is going on. It is not in my Ozu top 5 -- but I find it very powerful -- and, in the end, very moving. In any event, I was pretty thunderstruck by the bleakness of this when I first saw it.
"Early Summer" and "Tokyo Twilight" are two of Ozu's very toughest films (though the latter IS one of my favorites). By contrast -- "Early summer" is Ozu's probably most easily loveable film and "Floating Weeds" is one of his most accessible. "Late Spring" and "Tokyo Story" are much misunderstood by critics -- but function effectively at many levels. ;~}

Mr Sheldrake

#147 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:40 pm

I think I do see the plot points and themes you describe. But whereas you state them cogently and beautifully in words, I think Ozu is stating them, cinematically speaking, lethargically and repetitiously, with an overabundance of hopelessness. Even the heroine's mother can't cash in on a sure thing betting tip, all the longshots won that day!

I have enjoyed your responses as I'm a perpetual film student. I'm going to slog on with second viewings and give my honest reactions. Feel free to set me straight.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#148 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:I think I do see the plot points and themes you describe. But whereas you state them cogently and beautifully in words, I think Ozu is stating them, cinematically speaking, lethargically and repetitiously, with an overabundance of hopelessness. Even the heroine's mother can't cash in on a sure thing betting tip, all the longshots won that day!
I LOVE Kumeko Urabe (the mother). One of the little known treasures of Japanese cinema -- part of the very first group of actresses from the early 20s (displacing the female impersonators who who held the screens for the first three or so decades).

This detail is one of the glints of humor in the film -- and Urabe was a grand mistress of rueful self-deprecating humor.
I have enjoyed your responses as I'm a perpetual film student. I'm going to slog on with second viewings and give my honest reactions. Feel free to set me straight.
First rule. Don't try to push yourself into liking anything (no matter what I or anyone else may say).

It took me at least 18 months to _begin_ to understand Naruse (from first exposure). Trying to rush the process would only have had negative consequences. And it took almost as long to come to grips with "Equinox Flower".

Mr Sheldrake

#149 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:30 pm

I loved the mother too. I also liked Goldfish, an interesting and well rounded character, full of life. My favorite scene is when she comes to the farewell party, after all, and shakes Sugiyama's hand.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#150 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:I also liked Goldfish, an interesting and well rounded character, full of life. My favorite scene is when she comes to the farewell party, after all, and shakes Sugiyama's hand.
Keiko Kishi appears in the epilogue of Yoji Yamada's "Twilight Samurai" -- as the little girl, grown elderly.

Yet another impressive Japanese actress, almost unknown in the west (and still acting).