The 1981 Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
martin

Re: The 1981 Mini-List

#51 Post by martin » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:40 pm

Kieslowski's TV Movie Short Working Day is another example. It was eligible for the 1981 list but IMDb has it as a 1995 film. The approach used here by swo17 makes much more sense, I think.

Oh, big thanks to all submitters, contributors and mods for the amazing work in these mini threads!

martin

Re: The 1981 Mini-List

#52 Post by martin » Mon May 06, 2024 9:42 pm

I didn't submit a list this year (1982 was in fact the the first year I participated in the mini-list votings). But I just want to give a shout out to Die bleierne Zeit. It just missed the top 50 but it's nice to see some of you regarding it highly.

We read the entire script in German class in what corresponds to the 1st year of high school (this was in Denmark). I hated it, I think we all did. It was soo hard. We read some scenes, translated others and talked about/analysed the whole thing - in German! It was during the first half of the 80’s, terrorism was a still a hot topic but perhaps less so than in the late 70’s (I'm saying this in retrospect). But to talk sensibly in German about these complicated issues of politics, terrorism and relations was near-impossible for most of us at the time. I don’t remember any particular discussions we had, but I remember the dreaded German classes and our over-ambitious teacher. I also recall that we didn’t read a published script. It was rather pages that looked like they came right off the typewriter - photocopied and stapled together.

We eventually saw the film on a TV in the classroom and we still hated it.

But I love it now! It’s evident already from the opening scene that some real craftsmanship went into this. The actresses playing the sisters are amazing. Both sisters are actually played by three different actresses but I’m mainly talking about the adult versions who get most of the screentime (Jutta Lampe and Barbara Sukowa). The portrait of the sisters is nuanced and well-written. The non-linear timeline is complicated and interesting. And maybe I should be grateful for the courageous (over-ambitious) teacher introducing us to such films after all.