Yasujiro Ozu

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
ryannichols7

Re: Yasujiro Ozu

#551 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:13 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:43 am
Can one dare to hope that the remasteed Hen in the Wind will ever get a US release?
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Out of the five Ozu's Criterion released on Blu-ray, only one was new to disc in the US. The last Ozu released is already three years ago now and I stopped holding on Criterion releasing more of his films. I'm at least happy the Shochiku editions in Japan are fully subtitled and hope A Hen in the Wind is next.
I personally think Ozu's popularity only gets bigger in the US, if not globally, especially since he's a go-to mention for a lot of filmmakers. in spite of this, Criterion hasn't touched him in ages and I'd be really impressed if they actually cared enough to put A Hen in the Wind on disc. they have Floating Weeds and Early Summer upgrades they can do any time but haven't, as well as rescuing the Eclipse-relegated late period titles that got Blurays elsewhere, so I'm not holding my breath. but I really hope so, as I've stated before Floating Weeds definitely needs an English friendly release, very frustrating that Kadokawa didn't subtitle it like Shochiku did for their discs. I have no problem purchasing the Shochiku discs, even at a higher price point....but Criterion do such a good job with Ozu when they actually try!

fiendishthingy

#552 Post by fiendishthingy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:11 pm

I would be pretty surprised by a Criterion release of A Hen in the Wind too, especially considering how many more well-known Ozu films already in the collection (or at least in the Eclipse line) could use upgrades. Then again, I don’t know if it’s any more obscure than The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice, so maybe they’ll surprise us after all.

dustybooks

#553 Post by dustybooks » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Does anyone think that the Zetterling and Haneke sets announced this month might potentially be a harbinger for similar single-spine-number collections dedicated to directors like Ozu who have a large number of unissued titles and restorations available?

hearthesilence

#554 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:22 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:54 am
reviving this thread as A Hen in the Wind was 4K restored by Shochiku and played Venice. really nice to see them dip into the pre-1949 catalog, I'd love to see Tenement Gentleman get the same treatment among others. considering they advertise further restorations, I have to assume more are coming. I'll be on the lookout from Shochiku's twitter feeds in regards to a home video release for Hen, hopefully by the end of the year

here is the poster, spoilered for size:
SpoilerShow
This is actually playing at MoMA tomorrow (Monday) at 4:30 pm and again on Thu., Feb. 2 at 7pm.

Per MoMA's website:

"Digital restoration by Shochiku; courtesy Janus Films. US premiere."

hearthesilence

#555 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:22 am
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:54 am
reviving this thread as A Hen in the Wind was 4K restored by Shochiku and played Venice. really nice to see them dip into the pre-1949 catalog, I'd love to see Tenement Gentleman get the same treatment among others. considering they advertise further restorations, I have to assume more are coming. I'll be on the lookout from Shochiku's twitter feeds in regards to a home video release for Hen, hopefully by the end of the year

here is the poster, spoilered for size:
SpoilerShow
This is actually playing at MoMA tomorrow (Monday) at 4:30 pm and again on Thu., Feb. 2 at 7pm.

Per MoMA's website:

"Digital restoration by Shochiku; courtesy Janus Films. US premiere."
I caught today's screening, and I forgot that this film hasn't been widely embraced because as I left, I was caught off-guard by various audience members vocally expressing their displeasure. Looking it up now, Donald Ritchie was apparently dismissive of it and Ozu himself apparently called it a "bad failure" (as in not a failure that he could like despite its shortcomings).

I thought it was a powerful film, but I can see why people dislike it. It's pretty brutal to see how the main character is mistreated by her husband, and I can see how the resolution won't sit well with many. The husband's kind of a jerk - there are moments where it may occur to you that he isn't even HELPING her when he should be. But I don't think the film's really on his side - it knows his shortcomings, and the people in the film seem to recognize this too in various ways. I want to say it would be nice for some (maybe a lot) of viewers if he was a better man and ultimately you could walk away from the film feeling good that this was a character you can like, one that in his own way is a role model. But the reason why the world's in short supply of better men is because it's not as easy as you'd hope - so for me at least you have a very imperfect man struggling, and he's even aware enough to articulate that struggle without making it sound awkward of pretentious.

The subtext also enhances the film - this is Japan right after WWII, and when I consider some of the cultural and sociopolitical aspects that drove Japan into going into war, I feel like this film is grappling with that. We've went into a terrible war for terrible reasons, and we're coming home, possibly as fundamentally the same people, and there is a reckoning that isn't so simple or easy to settle. It's tough to articulate, but it has something to do with processing the sacrifice and the humiliation the wife experiences, and him understanding both the need to forgive and his inability to do so (which in itself is tied to how he wrongly views this situation and how he needs to fix that). The wife deserves a better husband, but she also deserves to have her love for her family validated and rewarded, and he's got to grow into that and move forward rather than dwell on what's already in the past.

Re: the restoration itself, I kept some mental notes, but for me the film was powerful enough that I virtually forgot the technical flaws as it progressed. I really had to make the effort to notice and remember the technical details. In the beginning, it was clear that the film was a bit soft and the soundtrack kind of muffled - it really felt like the materials themselves were lacking (no surprise - IIRC, all negatives from this era have been destroyed due to the nitrate hazard involved and all that remains are copies or copies of copies that were made). The soundtrack alone betrays a lot of noise in spots, and it's all midrange noise so I guess they filtered out the top end or used something like CEDAR or NoNoise to strip out what they could. There were moments where I thought this would be a greater film if the dialogue came in crystal clear and the use of sound effects to disrupt what should be a quiet and still environment wasn't undermined by a noisy rumble that remained in the midrange. Picture-wise, close-ups often looked good, but long and medium shots did look a touch soft (not waxy - just what you'd expect when something's a few generations removed from the negative). In the scene where the two women remember what they once discussed about their futures, they are lying on the grass outside, and I want to say if you were to zoom in or blow up what was going on in the sky, you might see some macroblocking - it definitely looked like something funky was going on, especially around the wife's head. Not too distracting, I may be making it sound worse than it is, but it was definitely noticeable.

I popped in the BFI DVD when I got home, and it's possible they worked from the same exact film elements and that this restoration was all about improving the contrast, shadows/brightness, etc. (which looked good - the DVD can seem a bit washed out and grey in spots), removing damage (the DVD has a ton of scratches, spots, bits of dust, etc. - the restoration had virtually NONE of that, which was really impressive and undoubtedly painstaking to do) and stabilizing the image (the restoration was absolutely rock solid - the DVD had plenty of tremors). I like the sound more on the DVD, but it noticeably had a lot more noise left in the soundtrack - I want to say it's like listening to a worn 78 where I'm totally fine with surface noise but for someone much more accustomed to a present day digital recording, they may complain that it's too much.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#556 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:57 pm

Ozu tended not to defend his films that got poor audience responses. I find Hen in the Wind a fascinating and even indispensable part of Ozu's work -- even if it has imperfections. I don't think any of Ozu's films that were overtly critical of Japan's war-time behavior (and immediate post-war behavior) won any real popular support. Even when, laced with a fair amount of humor, Tenement Gentleman was more or less shunned. This, as humor-free as Tokyo Twilight, was too pointed -- and something movie viewers had little desire to see (as much as Ozu's message may have been worth paying attention to).

FilmSnob

#557 Post by FilmSnob » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 pm

A Hen in the Wind is an important Ozu film, shockingly violent, better than it's given credit for. But it's really just a "type" of his postwar movies still to come. The ending scene with Shuji Sano and Kinuyo Tanaka was handled so much better in Early Spring. Relatively speaking, that ending is 10/10 and this one 1/10 that's how far apart they are. There's another scene with Kinuyo Tanaka and her friend in the grass and I can't watch it without thinking about Setsuko Hara and Kuniko Miyake replaying the same scene (again, much better) in Early Summer. Hen in the Wind is really just a sketch of Ozu's best postwar work.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#558 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 18, 2023 11:03 pm

The Harvard Film Archive will be presenting a complete Ozu retrospective this summer: https://harvardfilmarchive.org/programs ... sujiro-ozu
FilmSnob wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 pm
Hen in the Wind is really just a sketch of Ozu's best postwar work.
While Ozu may have re-used a few motifs in his later films, I don't think this bears much resemblance to most of the later films (other than Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight). It is also sort of part of a group that includes the pre-war Only Son and the immediately post-war Tenement Gentleman. These all have a higher level of explicit socio-political content than Ozu's norm. Overall, these films were also less successful with both contemporary critics and the public.

pistolwink

#559 Post by pistolwink » Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Very tempted to spend a month in Boston or NY to see all the Ozu films in 35mm. Can't imagine this chance will come around again. The last time I saw more than a few at a time was back in 2003 for the centenary.

Anyone have a line on a cheap AIRbnb? :?

hearthesilence

#560 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 19, 2023 3:59 pm

It would be interesting to see some of those new 35mm prints - I wonder if that extends to the recent restorations I saw at MoMA? (They were really well done, but they were also DCP's.)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#561 Post by Drucker » Fri May 19, 2023 5:13 pm

pistolwink wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm
Very tempted to spend a month in Boston or NY to see all the Ozu films in 35mm. Can't imagine this chance will come around again. The last time I saw more than a few at a time was back in 2003 for the centenary.

Anyone have a line on a cheap AIRbnb? :?
When Donald Richie died Film Forum did a very similar retrospective. Hoping as long as Bruce is around this can be done again. But agreed it'll definitely be worth seeking out as many of these as possible.

knives

#563 Post by knives » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:55 am

That means, for the curious, a little over half now exists.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#564 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 am

I think the condensed version was a 12.5mm print (or something like that) -- so 16mm might be a step up as well....

hearthesilence

#565 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:29 pm

It's pretty crazy that even Tokyo Story will never look better than a 16mm dupe negative unless a better source miraculously turns up. I had to check to be sure my memory was correct, and this is what I found on DVDCompare's page on the second BFI Blu-ray and various restorations:
Tokyo Story has had a complex life on home video. The original negative was one of the casualties in a fire that broke out in Yokohama in 1960. A 16mm duplicate negative was the best available element which then a 35mm safety negative was made from blow-up [which was used for the 4K restoration by IMAGICA Corp. and Shochiku]...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#566 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:35 pm

hearthesilence -- there is indeed no hope whatsoever of a better source for Tokyo Story. At least it exists -- which is more than can be said about most of Ozu's (and all his contemporaries) early work.

hearthesilence

#567 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:04 am

FWIW, I saw two back-to-back 35mm screenings today for Late Autumn and The End of Summer - this is part of the traveling Ozu 120 retrospective which is currently at Film Forum. The DCP's of this retrospective are the latest 4K restorations and I've already seen a few premiere at MoMA, so I can definitely vouch for them, but it looks like Film Forum has secured some GREAT looking 35mm prints as well. Because of this, even though I didn't want to cram in three films in a row, I actually decided to see An Autumn Afternoon during Late Autumn (which was half-full, a pretty good audience for a noon-time screening on a Saturday), but by the end of the film the lobby was full and I saw that An Autumn Afternoon had managed to sell out hours before showtime. Even the afternoon screening of The End of Summer was virtually a sell out.

FWIW, the presumably 20-year-old Late Autumn print had a card for the Ozu 100 celebration - the ends of the reels definitely had a lot of scratches, but otherwise the print was in great shape (no fading, no missing pieces or frames, etc.) The End of Summer was in greater shape, but it may even be older. It had a pre-digital looking title card that said it was from the Japan Foundation's film library. (Either that or the foundation never bothered to create or update a new title card with that information.) I didn't realize this until later, but all three Ozu films that I did/try to see were screened in chronological order, and they were actually his last three films.

Michael, what you mentioned in the other thread about color seemed apparent here. Late Autumn looked AMAZING. Most of the time it had that tan or beige quality that you'll see in the restoration used for Criterion's Blu-ray of Good Morning, but I did notice at least one reel where the color made a slight shift to something less tan-like. With The End of Summer, the opening night shots had a deep inky quality to them that looked fabulous, but once they cut to the interiors, I was surprised to find something like the BFI's Blu-ray of An Autumn Afternoon where you had a more natural-looking palette that looked comparatively cooler and muted - I wondered if this was forced on the print during the color timing as the flesh tones could look a little pale and the blue daytime skies could have a subtle green or yellow hue mottled through it if you stared at it long enough. Again, two films made back-to-back, and yet you can pick up this difference - who knows what is correct? Strangely, the opening credits - both of which used a burlap fabric as the background - didn't seem to look different at all in terms of color, but perhaps I need to put those frames side-by-side (if that were feasible)?

As for the films themselves, I enjoyed The End of Summer but Late Autumn made a greater impression - it's magnificent. I actually found a copy of presumably the Eclipse DVD online on my phone, so I watched it on the train over, just in case I was late. (Miraculously, I got to the theater with plenty of time to spare, but on the way back, the weekend delays I feared were excruciating.) I'm glad I did because there's a substantial difference in the English translation. I want to say the 35mm print seemed to sacrifice some character (usually a dry way of putting things indirectly) in favor of clarity and directness. I don't know Japanese so it's impossible for me to say which feels more correct, but my immediate reaction was that the upload was probably better, simply on the theory that it's more likely that a reputable translator will simplify something for ease rather than inject a touch more personality into a translation.

Hope this doesn't seem like rambling, but as I watched Late Autumn, three things came to mind that seemed applicable to the film as well as Ozu in general:

• Back in 2010, Mike Leigh presented Another Year at the NYFF, and during the Q&A, he mentioned how his films "aspired" to be documentaries. He expanded on this, explaining that he didn't want his films to be hermetically sealed, he wanted to suggest that there was a much greater world beyond what you're seeing, hence the importance of details about a character's occupation in Another Year, suggesting a whole lot more to his life, to the city and the rest of the world beyond what's happening at his home.

• In the foreword to Kieslowski & Piesiewicz, Decalogue: The Ten Commandments, Stanley Kubrick writes "in this book of screenplays by Krzysztof Kieslowski and his co-author, Krzysztof Piesiewicz, it should not be out of place to observe that they have the very rare ability to dramatize their ideas rather than just talking about them. By making their points through the dramatic action of the story they gain the added power of allowing the audience to discover what's really going on rather than being told. They do this with such dazzling skill, you never see the ideas coming and don't realize until much later how profoundly they have reached your heart."

• Greil Marcus once quoted D A Pennebaker as saying “The one sure thing in life is that you never know what’s going on in someone’s head—that’s what the novel was invented for...You can’t point a camera at someone and find out what’s in their head. But it does the next best thing: It lets you speculate.”

All of these factors came to play as the film unfolded, and often times you got the sense that a lot was being digested by the characters at any given time - whether in moments of solitude and quiet contemplation or in conversations where they weren't simply describing everything on their mind, they often seemed to be circling around the past or what may lie ahead in the future or their own relationships with a particular person. You may not be able to tell exactly what those thoughts were, but you knew they were there.

As intensely personal as the film may be, everything's clearly placed within the social mores of that time and how that can make a world of a difference on everyone's lives. One of my favorite details about the film...
SpoilerShow
...is when one of the men constantly throws his clothes on the ground, and his wife just swoops in to take care of it. It looks kind of shocking from a modern day perspective, and while it feels organic to that time given the way it plays, you'll notice it's a behavior that isn't shared among other couples either. Combined with the fact that even the men's wives know their attraction to Akiko, it's more than reasonable that Akiko is fully aware of the aspiring suitors she once had, and one gets the feeling that her own life has profoundly shaped how she views her daughter's future. She knows the pressures that will be put on her, and she knows what it's like to be confronted with so many possible futures. It could've been her and then her daughter who's chasing after a husband who throws his shirt and jacket on the floor.
Also, I mentioned this before, but as I watch more Ozu or revisit familiar works, the impact of WWII takes on a greater presence, and the more I watch these films, the more I realize that the war profoundly changed these characters' lives - except for certain children, virtually every character in Ozu's films were alive during the war. You can't underestimate that, and I get the sense of a country that's still in the process of moving on and rebuilding after the war. (In this case, the departed husband was in the military, but it's mentioned in passing like a very old, familiar memory that everyone knows. Even the American cultural references - Coca Cola, a song based on an American folk tune, brings to mind U.S. efforts in reshaping and re-educating postwar Japan.)

And as always, the pillow shots are exquisite. Something I've found increasingly irritating in recent years is the term "branding," which is no longer used solely in advertising, having spread like a disease in all types of media discourse including film criticism. It can reflect a shallow view of film as an art form and sadly on the other side of the discussion a shallow approach to filmmaking. I bring this up because Ozu's famous for his pillow shots - they're very much characteristic of his filmmaking, but he doesn't just throw them in a movie like he's slapping a yellow "M" on a soda cup and a sleeve of french fries. Every time out, there's a lot of thought put into each shot, but not in a way that feels labored. It's a terrific and economical storytelling device, but they carry greater implications beyond moving the plot forward. One of the very first in this film even gives a brief glimpse of an elderly woman and a child that suggests a whole other complementary film that will be played out off-screen. What Leigh talks about seems especially appropriate here - they seem to convey a lot about the greater world that's being occupied by these characters, and their stories feel all the more transient.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#568 Post by alacal2 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:56 am

Nice post hearthesilence - put me down for ramblin' anyday! Hope we get a similar programme here in the UK.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#569 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:32 pm

Lovely post, hearthesilence. I haven't made it to any of the HFA's screenings, alas. But I have seen most of the films so many times that they have been pretty much internalized -- rather like Beethoven's symphonies 3-9. I love all those late Ozu films so much. And when the prints/discs get the colors even approximately right, they look so gorgeous. I am surely biased -- but I think I like the color in Ozu's films overall more than in anyone's.

It is funny that Ozu made certain to plug the booze makers who provided he and his fellow writers with "sustenance".

One really does get a sense in Ozu that we come into people's existing lives -- and that those lives go on after the camera stops. We are free to imagine, if we wish, what comes next -- with no restrictions. I feel this is something Kore'eda typically also does -- and I think it is a bigger link to Ozu than any "techniques"...

headacheboy

#570 Post by headacheboy » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:52 pm

As a guy who lives in Central Illinois where there is very little cinema (or live music) I deeply enjoy posts like yours heartthesilence. I get to Chicago as much as I possibly can (my brother lives in Lincoln Square) and I did just recently catch Tokyo Story at the Ebertfest in Champaign but I get a small thrill hearing about subway rides and going to places like Film Forum and MOMA. Something like Ozu 120 will never play my community or surrounding area so I take pleasure in hearing about situations such as these. No apologizes needed for the length, it is always welcome from my perspective.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#571 Post by Drucker » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:51 pm

The (un?)fortunate timing of the arrival of my son means I have missed this entire series, HTS, so thank you for keeping me jealous!

I picked up all the BFI Ozu blu rays when I went region free, but I neglected to go much deeper, and figure I need to get that Late Ozu Eclipse. I should also revisit all the bonus films in the BFI sets.

hearthesilence

#572 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:42 pm

Thanks all! Hopefully the new Blu-rays will be out soon - given how many 4K restorations in this series have yet to be given a home release, maybe a box set is in order? (Blu-ray may be just fine - as I mentioned in some older posts, some restorations were clearly limited by the sources they were working with, so a UHD may not end up being that beneficial over a regular Blu-ray.)

Jack Phillips

#573 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:04 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:04 am
SpoilerShow
...is when one of the men constantly throws his clothes on the ground, and his wife just swoops in to take care of it. It looks kind of shocking from a modern day perspective, and while it feels organic to that time given the way it plays, you'll notice it's a behavior that isn't shared among other couples either. Combined with the fact that even the men's wives know their attraction to Akiko, it's more than reasonable that Akiko is fully aware of the aspiring suitors she once had, and one gets the feeling that her own life has profoundly shaped how she views her daughter's future. She knows the pressures that will be put on her, and she knows what it's like to be confronted with so many possible futures. It could've been her and then her daughter who's chasing after a husband who throws his shirt and jacket on the floor.
The pleasures of Ozu are multifold. Beyond the stylized eccentricities, his films also afford viewers the opportunity for some genuine anthropological study. In the past I also noticed the bit with husbands dropping clothing and their wives dutifully scooping the articles up (it's in other Ozu films also, Equinox Flower, for one). I assumed it represented a commonplace, or at least, something Ozu had observed on more than one occasion. After reading your comment, I decided to do some research (i.e. I asked my Japanese wife).

She confirms that such things happened and that she witnessed it between her grandparents. Her parents, though, never did this (My wife was born in 1963; Ozu was from her grandparents' generation). The missus cautions that the practice of coming home in western business clothing and changing into traditional Japanese attire was short-lived anyway. Today's salaryman is quite capable of changing into casual western clothes without aid. So, Ozu captured a true glimpse of Japan, but one that was fleeting.

Matt

#574 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:06 am

I don’t have that cultural knowledge, but I would think changing from Western attire to traditional Japanese attire at home was important specifically to that wartime generation. I’m certain I’ve read that wearing traditional Japanese clothing in public was actually banned for men during the American occupation, so there may have been a conscious effort to reclaim traditions even after Western business attire became the norm.

Also still not uncommon for men in America to drop their clothes wherever and leave their wives to pick up after them.

allyouzombies

#575 Post by allyouzombies » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:41 am

I was able to catch a couple of the Ozu screenings at Film Forum over the past few weeks: Early Summer (my favorite), Late Spring, and Late Autumn. Of those, Late Autumn was the only one I hadn't previously seen. And much like heartthesilence's reaction, this one bowled me over. In the most reductive terms, it's Late Spring reconfigured as a comedy, though even that description is selling the film short. It's probably the most I've ever laughed in an Ozu film. There's also a striking moment at the end of the film that I haven't seen discussed before:
SpoilerShow
After Aya's wedding, her friend Yuri pops by Akiko's place. She leaves, and we hold on a wide shot. Akiko walks to the door, locks it, and turns off the light. I found this moment remarkable. The simple action of her locking her door - something we've never seen her do up to this point - speaks volumes about Akiko's new situation: She is alone, her daughter has left her, and she no longer has a reason to leave her door unlocked. I'm not sure if locking one's door at night would've been common in 1960s Japan, but even if it was, the fact that Ozu lingers on the moment tells me that that it's significant. The film ends on a couple ambiguous shots of Setsuko Hara, where she seems halfway between smiling and crying. But to my mind, that door locking moment is this film's equivalent of Chishū Ryū peeling the apple in Late Spring, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.
Anyway, wonderful film, and the 35mm print looked gorgeous.