Woody Allen

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Woody Allen

#526 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 20, 2014 9:31 am

That is a hilariously stupid response, especially in light of all but one already appearing in hi-def region free Blu-rays, meaning there are HD masters available and on the market for all but Deconstructing Harry

Roger Ryan

#527 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am

...and, yes, all of them were shot on 35mm film so they were "HD" from the get-go.

Calvin

#528 Post by Calvin » Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 am

Kaleidoscope appear to have deleted that tweet, so they've presumably realised their stupidity.

Oedipax

#529 Post by Oedipax » Tue May 20, 2014 2:28 pm

They were in fact "shot in" 4K, 8K, possibly even 12K or more!

felipe

#530 Post by felipe » Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm

fdm wrote:
Graham wrote:I wish MGM would up their Woody Allen blu-ray release schedule to more than two films per year. I don't mind the lack of extras, but at least get the films out there in HD.
Crimes And Misdemeanors coming to blu via Twilight Time in February. Hope this will be in addition to MGM's paltry 2 per year rather than instead of.
It doesn't seem like we're getting any from MGM this year.

chatterjees

#531 Post by chatterjees » Tue May 20, 2014 6:49 pm

felipe wrote:
fdm wrote:
Graham wrote:I wish MGM would up their Woody Allen blu-ray release schedule to more than two films per year. I don't mind the lack of extras, but at least get the films out there in HD.
Crimes And Misdemeanors coming to blu via Twilight Time in February. Hope this will be in addition to MGM's paltry 2 per year rather than instead of.
It doesn't seem like we're getting any from MGM this year.
Exactly, I wouldn't expect anymore of his films from MGM. According to Nick Redman, TT has got plenty of Allen films coming in due course of time.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#533 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks for sharing, that was really funny, though Diane Keaton's performance was, uh, interesting

dustybooks

#535 Post by dustybooks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Very interesting, refreshingly detailed and filmmaking-oriented interview with Allen at RogerEbert.com

Gregory

#536 Post by Gregory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

This was a really good listen. It made me sad to hear about his imagined film about Sidney Bechet that he realizes will never be a possibility. The optimist in me thinks that it could happen if he was determined to make it, because he's at a point in his career when he's earned the right to do some atypical, personal projects, and box-office success wouldn't be a concern. Just look at some of the odd things that filmmakers like Demme and Soderbergh have done, to name just two. It seems like he's possibly holding himself back to some extent, making the types of films that people expect Woody Allen to make, while, at the rate of a film per year, there could easily be some departures from his usual projects, if he wanted.
But the reason it's sad is that Bechet lived such an interesting life—he grew up in a musical environment in New Orleans, played with originators of jazz such as King Oliver, Bunk Johnson, Freddie Keppard, toured on the American vaudeville circuit in the 1910s, lived in Europe extensively beginning in 1919, founded his own club in Harlem, did time in prison, composed a ballet, by all accounts had a somewhat difficult personality, which for some may present the "problem" of a somewhat unlikeable protagonist—I could go on.
His music has been perpetually under-appreciated, perhaps because he lacked the public persona of Armstrong and Ellington, and this is especially true in America (he's more revered in France), where there is deep and longstanding interest in the music industry in reviving and keeping alive "traditional" and "old-timey" music that for some odd reason has never included jazz the way it has "folk," blues, country, and bluegrass. I guess the thing is that very few Americans actually appreciate instrumental music traditions, and if there's a soprano saxophone involved it has to be played by Kenny G. NPR has extensive jazz programming but almost never plays the 1920s-40s stuff, almost as if they'd be embarrassed to broadcast it. But guess who John Coltrane was listening to. Sidney Bechet.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Magic in the Moonlight (Woody Allen, 2014)

#537 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm

criterion10 wrote:Anyhow, Magic in the Moonlight is certainly one of Allen's least essential to see in theaters, so the low box office and lack of reception here doesn't surprise me. Although, as The Narrator Returns claimed, the cinematography is pretty great, so it has that going for it.
I am pretty sure you're (sadly) in the majority opinion on Melinda and Melinda around here, if that helps

The Narrator Returns

#538 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:46 pm

I have yet to watch Melinda and Melinda, but given that my tastes in Allen align pretty closely to domino's (I like Cassandra's Dream a lot, for one), I have reasonably high hopes. It can't be worse than September, at least.

knives

#539 Post by knives » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 am

I haven't seen it since about 2006 or so, but I remember it being enjoyable with a lot of effective bits for what it is worth.

dustybooks

#540 Post by dustybooks » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:11 am

domino harvey wrote:First of all, Melinda and Melinda is great, so how dare you. I think the reason most people haven't weighed in is that Allen films hardly scream out to be seen in a $13 movie theatre when one can wait a few months and get the same experience at home, where his small films invariably play just fine. Now, in a year's time, if no one's talking about the film, then draw conclusions
I don't wholly disagree, but I did go and see this movie at the neighborhood multiplex last Thursday night and was completely alone with it which was awesome, and elevated a mildly enjoyable movie to a pretty great way to spend an evening. It is a minor film, but quite satisfying.

I loved Melinda but it's been years, I need to see it again.

Roger Ryan

#541 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:37 pm

criterion10 wrote:Having seen all of his films, I can't say there are many that I actively dislike, other than some of the early funny ones...
This is the part of your post that surprises me. I have to assume that you don't think some of the "early funny ones" are funny at all, right? Did you find them funny, but still actively dislike them?

criterion10

#542 Post by criterion10 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
criterion10 wrote:Having seen all of his films, I can't say there are many that I actively dislike, other than some of the early funny ones...
This is the part of your post that surprises me. I have to assume that you don't think some of the "early funny ones" are funny at all, right? Did you find them funny, but still actively dislike them?
With the exception of Sleeper and Love and Death, if you even consider the latter to be one of his "early funny ones," I'm not particularly a fan of any of them. What's Up Tiger Lily? and Take the Money and Run are both terrible and devoid of laughs, while Bananas and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex have some occasional funny moments, but are pretty stupid overall.

I only referred to them as his "early funny ones" as a reference to Stardust Memories and also because that seems to be how most people nowadays tend to refer to this grouping of Allen's films.

warren oates

#543 Post by warren oates » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Agree with domino and others about Melinda and Melinda and Cassandra's Dream. I feel like most of late period Allen has been badly misjudged by mainstream critics and audiences. I'm tired of hearing how great Match Point is -- some say it's better than Crimes and Misdemeanors -- and likewise all those raves for the gorgeous but empty Midnight in Paris, while much of his better work from the same years goes largely ignored.

Roger Ryan

#544 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:42 am

criterion10 wrote: ...I only referred to them as his "early funny ones" as a reference to Stardust Memories...
I got that, but it's rare that an Allen fan would actively dislike this era. I agree that BANANAS and SEX are hit-and-miss, but TIGER LILY and TAKE THE MONEY are solid laugh-inducers for me. No argument that SLEEPER and LOVE & DEATH are the best of the early period.

criterion10

#545 Post by criterion10 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 am

Roger Ryan wrote:I got that, but it's rare that an Allen fan would actively dislike this era. I agree that BANANAS and SEX are hit-and-miss, but TIGER LILY and TAKE THE MONEY are solid laugh-inducers for me. No argument that SLEEPER and LOVE & DEATH are the best of the early period.
Well, in my initial comment, I did write that I only actively dislike some of the early funny ones, mainly because Sleeper and Love and Death are two that I really like, the latter being one of Allen's best! (I thought Tiger Lily and Take the Money were both pretty bad, Bananas and Sex have occasional moments.)

I can't claim how rare it is that an "Allen fan would actively dislike this era," though I doubt it is out of left field; his early works are quite different from some of his latter ones.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#546 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 pm

warren oates wrote: I'm tired of hearing how great Match Point is -- some say it's better than Crimes and Misdemeanors.
I'd be one of those annoying people! :D

I agree that Midnight in Paris is fairly empty, though, and that Cassandra's Dream is kind of almost good. :wink:

I used to be a huge Woody fan in my youth but revisiting his whole oeuvre in chronological order recently has been somewhat (relatively) disillusioning. Several classics from the Woody Is Untouchable period (73 to 89, say) hadn't aged well. With Crimes, Allen's philosophizing is quite heavy-handed.

Here's the best-to-worst list I made based on my unapologetically subjective appreciation of them. (p.s. I don't give really high ratings easily, but I'm indulgent when it comes to giving the low ones. B- means a movie actually starts to suck.) It doesn't include the new one yet, or Tiger Lily, but includes Play It Again Sam.

1. Husbands and Wives (1992) A
2. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) A-
3. A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy (1982) A-
4. Manhattan (1979) A-
5. Annie Hall (1977) A-
6. Stardust Memories (1980) A-
7. Match Point (2005) B+
8. Love and Death (1975) B+
9. Play It Again, Sam (1972)* B+
10. Mighty Aphrodite (1995) B+
11. Deconstructing Harry (1997) B
12. Zelig (1983) B
13. Interiors (1978) B
14. Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex (1972) B
16. Sleeper (1973) B
17. Broadway Danny Rose (1984) B
18. Blue Jasmine (2013) B
19. Cassandra’s Dream (2007) B
20. Bananas (1971) B
21. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) B
22. Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) B
23. Another Woman (1988) B
24. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) B
25. Midnight in Paris (2011) B
26. Whatever Works (2009) B
27. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) B-
28. Hollywood Ending (2002) B-
29. Celebrity (1998) B-
30. To Rome with Love (2012) B-
31. Bullets Over Broadway (1994) B-
32. Alice (1990) B-
33. Everyone Says I Love You (1996) B-
34. September (1987) B-
35. Melinda and Melinda (2005) C+
36. The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001) C+
37. Anything Else (2003) C
38. Radio Days (1987) C
39. Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) C
40. Take the Money and Run (1969) C-
41. Sweet and Lowdown (1999) C-
42. Shadows and Fog (1992) C-
43. Scoop (2006) C-
44. Small Time Crooks (2000) D+

Dylan

#547 Post by Dylan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 pm

With the discussion of what Woody Allen films do/don't suck now culminating in somebody posting their top 44 Woody Allen films I think we're getting pretty far off topic (which is *cough* Magic in the Moonlight). Maybe this can branch off into the Woody Allen thread?
Last edited by Dylan on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#548 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Or given A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy placing third, perhaps this thread should just be jettisoned into the blistering core of the sun instead?

criterion10

#549 Post by criterion10 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:Or given A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy placing third, perhaps this thread should just be jettisoned into the blistering core of the sun instead?
+1*

*Although it is better than Melinda and Melinda, that much is certain...

The Narrator Returns

#550 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 pm

September above Radio Days is perhaps even worse.