Max Ophüls

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
rohmerin

Re: Max Ophüls

#26 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I've been watching several Ophül's films, inclunding two forgotten: Sans lendemain is a totally and beautiful masterpiece. Is it going to be restored and released on DVD in any country? It is absolute gorgeous, I saw a print dubbed into Italian, but, who cares? I mean, this film is a must, even in the awful VHSrip I get. It has got that 1938-39 pre war French pesimism as the Carné's or La regle du jeu have. His vision of Paris is romantic (and sad), love and destiny are the protagonist (as always).

By the opposite, The exile is a very interesting film, 100% Ophulsian with his camera movements but the Hollywood stars touch and the story are not as good as in his other American movies.

About Madame de.. and Le plaisir is all written. Perfect, I watched both like 15 years ago and it was a plaisure to rediscover them. Danielle Darrieux in two scenes, closing the door ans repeating "Je ne vous aimez pas" to Vittorio, and walking at beach with her gaze and heart broken, made my blood stop.

I have to rewacth De Mayerling to Sarajevo, Letter from an unknown woman, Lola and Lachender erbe again this summer.

¡Viva Ophüls!

Knappen

#27 Post by Knappen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:40 am

rohmerin wrote:I've been watching several Ophül's films, inclunding two forgotten: Sans lendemain is a totally and beautiful masterpiece. Is it going to be restored and released on DVD in any country?
As announced in another thread: http://www.1kult.com/2010/09/30/gaumont-line-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Max Ophuls

#28 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:13 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#29 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 30, 2018 5:54 am

Just received my copy of Liebelei / Lola Montes from Edition Filmmuseum. Liebelei has english subs as does the 90 min doc on MO.
Lola Montes has english subs on the feature only. None on the audio only extras and German subs only on the comparative study of Lola when french versions are shown (Mostly in split screen)

connor

#30 Post by connor » Wed May 30, 2018 11:17 am

Surprising that The Reckless Moment has yet to be released on bluray. Probably my favorite of his.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am

Indicator is about to rectify that based on their last clue...

Jonathan S

#32 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 am

Can anyone confirm please (from actual discs or at least sleeves) whether the new Gaumont Blu-rays of Sens lendemain, Yoshiwara and De Mayerling a Sarajevo have English subs? Amazon.fr suggests not but of course their listings are often wrong or incomplete.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#33 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:08 am

Jonathan S wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 am
Can anyone confirm please (from actual discs or at least sleeves) whether the new Gaumont Blu-rays of Sens lendemain, Yoshiwara and De Mayerling a Sarajevo have English subs? Amazon.fr suggests not but of course their listings are often wrong or incomplete.
Looking at them now and all 3 only have French HOH subs

Jonathan S

#34 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks for checking - that's sad as I can't see these being released in the UK. French cinema of the 1930s & early 1940s now seems to be regarded as unprofitable. Maybe a Criterion Eclipse set is the best chance as I don't think these films ever had a commercial English-subbed release even on DVD.

Stefan Andersson

#36 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:47 pm

German-language essay on music in Liebelei - for rare info about the film´s running times, see note 17:
https://mediarep.org/bitstream/handle/d ... sequence=3

Stefan Andersson

#37 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 am

Lachende Erben gets a bluray and dvd release in Germany:
http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/news/weit ... er-auf-dvd

Stefan Andersson

#38 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am

A Max Ophuls issue of the French film magazine 1895:
https://journals.openedition.org/1895/2

hearthesilence

#40 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:15 pm

This was great (as were the preceding shorts), and even the Eureka/MoC DVD is now out-of-print, so I highly recommend catching this if you can - there's one more screening in a bigger theater on Friday Nov. 12. It's a print from MoMA's own collection and though it has some damage, it's otherwise in pretty good shape.

I haven't read the book so I can't say how many changes Ophüls and Wilhelm (both new to the Italian film industry) brought to the Italian source material, but the film does look forward to the early modernist masterworks by Rossellini and Antonioni, so much I wondered if there were other examples of how these ideas may have been very prevalent in Italian cinema before they were developed further later on (and famously explored elsewhere even later). The filmmaking alone is especially remarkable on a technical level considering that it was released in 1934, and it's bittersweet that Ophüls final, greater film would have many narrative similarities as this one.