Shakespeare Wallah

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Shakespeare Wallah

#1 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Announced for April 15. No concrete details confirmed other than that it's a recent restoration.

Colpeper
I Am the Glueman

Re: Shakespeare Wallah

#2 Post by Colpeper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 pm

In a reversal of "I sold this thing to that guy", almost exactly 20 years ago I bought a Betamax VCR from the editor of this film.

We discussed "Shakespeare Wallah" briefly (my mother had appeared on stage with the Kendals in the early 1950s, when their touring repertory company visited Shropshire). He is a gracious and considerate man who might still recall a few insights, if the BFI were looking for an interviewee.

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

I wonder if Amazon will ever have this up for pre-order. It took over a week for Arrow's April releases to all become available for pre-order, and its been a month without Indicator's March releases appearing at all.

EDIT: Oh, there it is.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm

Full specs announced:
A Merchant Ivory production
Shakespeare Wallah
Directed by James Ivory

BFI Blu-ray release on 15 April 2019, followed by iTunes release on 29 April

Shakespeare Wallah, the film that brought Merchant Ivory to international attention in 1965, is presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, in a new 2K restoration, released by the BFI on 15 April 2019 with an iTunes release on 29 April.

Shot by Satyajit Ray’s cameraman, Subrata Mitra, and scored by Ray himself, the film is a delicate love story that sets the tone for many of the partnership’s collaborations and remains a beguiling, multi-layered cinematic landmark.

During the early days of post-colonial India, a company of nomadic actors travel across the country performing Shakespeare. When a young troupe member, Lizzie (Felicity Kendal) falls in love with playboy Sanju (Shashi Kapoor), the pair must overcome cultural differences and the scheming of film actress and rival for Sanju’s affections Manjula (Madhur Jaffrey).

Special features
• New 2K restoration
The Guardian Lecture: Ismail Merchant and James Ivory (1983, 82 mins): the director and producer in conversation with David Robinson at the NFT
The Guardian Interview: Shashi Kapoor (1994, 54 mins, audio only): the actor in conversation with film critic Derek Malcolm at the NFT
Conversations from the Quad with James Ivory and Madhur Jaffrey (2018, 48 mins): the director and actor discuss working together
A Road in India (1938, 9 mins)
• Technicolor travelogue shot by award-winning cinematographer Jack Cardiff
• Original trailer (1965)
• Restoration trailer (2017)

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1334 / Cert PG
UK / 1965 / black and white / 122 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 / BD50, 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)