Bait

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

Bait

#1 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:18 am

BAIT
Director: Mark Jenkin

Contemporary Cornwall. Martin Ward is a cove fisherman, without a boat. His brother Steven has re-purposed their father's vessel as a tourist tripper, driving a wedge between the brothers. With their childhood home now a get-away for London money, Martin is displaced to the estate above the picturesque harbour. As his struggle to restore the family to their traditional place creates increasing friction with tourists and locals alike, a tragedy at the heart of the family changes his world.

Special Features:

Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Q&A with the director (2019): director Mark Jenkin in conversation with film critic Mark Kermode after a screening of Bait at BFI Southbank
Dear Marianne (2016, 6 mins): a Cornishman's travels in Ireland, through Wexford, Waterford and Cork in search of the familiar
The Essential Cornishman (2016, 6 mins): short film by Mark Jenkin
The Road to Zennor (2017, 3 mins): short film by Mark Jenkin
Original theatrical trailer
**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing by Jason Wood and full film credits
Other extras TBC

--

20th January 2020

colinr0380

Re: Bait

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:01 pm

Calvin

#3 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm

It has received 4 nominations at the British Independent Film Awards - Best British Independent Film, Best Director, Breakthrough Producer, and Best Editing.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Full specs announced:
BAIT
A film by Mark Jenkin

★★★★★ 'A genuine modern masterpiece… one of the defining British films of the decade’ Mark Kermode, The Observer

See the trailer here

DVD/Blu-ray release on 20 January 2020

BAIT, the debut feature by Mark Jenkin was this summer’s indie smash hit film. Released in cinemas by the BFI on 30 August, BAIT received widespread critical acclaim, huge box office success, multiple award wins and a terrific response from audiences of all ages around the UK.

On 20 January it will be released on DVD/Blu-ray in a Dual Format Edition with extras including a commentary by Mark Jenkin with Mark Kermode, a filmed Q&A, shorts by Mark Jenkin and more.

Modern-day Cornish fisherman Martin (Edward Rowe) is struggling to buy a boat while coping with family rivalry and the influx of London money, Airbnb and stag parties to his harbour village. The summer season brings simmering tensions between the locals and newcomers to boiling point, with tragic consequences.

Stunningly shot on a vintage 16mm camera using monochrome Kodak stock, BAIT is a timely and funny, yet poignant film that gets to the heart of a community facing up to unwelcome change.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
• Feature-length audio commentary with director Mark Jenkin and film critic Mark Kermode
Bait Q&A with Mark Jenkin (2019, 33 mins): filmmaker Mark Jenkin in conversation with Mark Kermode, recorded at BFI Southbank
Dear Marianne (2015, 6 mins): a Cornishman’s travels in Ireland, through Wexford, Waterford and Cork in search of the familiar in this short film by Mark Jenkin
The Essential Cornishman (2015, 6 mins): Mark Jenkin’s film is an homage to the spontaneous prose of The Beats, from the mythical Cornish west
The Road to Zennor (2016, 2 mins): poetic travelogue by Mark Jenkin of a familiar journey to the small coastal town near St Ives
The Saving of Bill Blewitt (1936, 25 mins): a charming docu-drama that sees two Cornish fishermen managing to save enough money to replace their boat after it’s lost at sea
Scenes on the Cornish Riviera (c.1912, 19 mins): providing an early visual record of Cornwall, this Great Western Railway-sponsored tour visits among others, Saltash, Newquay, Truro, Falmouth and St Ives
• Trailers
• **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with writing by director Mark Jenkin, writer, programmer and lecturer Jason Wood, film critic Jessica Kiang and writer and curator Tara Judah; notes on the extras by Katy McGahan and full film credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1367 / Cert 15
UK / 2019 / black and white / 89 mins / English language, with optional English hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (320kbps)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 am

I went knowing pretty much nothing of it, and it turned out to be a very good surprise for me. I'm not so fond of the extremely redundant fishing sequences, but everything else, especially its visual style and its editing, is absolutely tremendous. It feels at times like an early Cassavetes movie, but its non-linear edit only adds an additional sense of inevitable doom that works well without feeling too heavy. There's a sense of "c'est la vie" all along, something that's more neutral than many would have chosen for such a movie, and I guess that's part of why it's working that well in the end.

Small anecdote : there are a couple of frames that looked very weird within the whole movie very "roots" aspect. They look almost too clean, but with only a few white specks dirtying the picture. Since they happen quite late in the movie, it's a bit jarring, and it almost feel as if someone had to additionnally dirty the frames to match the style of the movie. I then read the booklet and it turns out it's not at all the case, but "The silvery speckling on a close-up of plastic bags of fish hanging from doorknobs came from accidentally leaving the door to his home lab ajar so a pollen-laden gust of air got in." ! So I guess pollen-on-film look a bit like digital fake dirt.

AidanKing

#6 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:29 pm

I actually thought that the fishing sequences, with their close-ups of hands at work, added a Bressonian touch to the interesting mixture of clockwork camera shooting, entirely post-dubbed sound and Soviet-influenced editing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:24 am

I didn't disliked them, I just thought they were too numerous.

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I was looking forward to watching this film, but was ultimately disappointed. It played an awful lot like a student film from the 1970s, in a good and a bad way. I loved the weatherbeaten look of the film, and the patina of the hand-processed, expired stock. I liked the story well enough, and though the fragmented performances (all post-synced) were variable to ropey, that was fine. What spoiled it for me was the extremely gauche editing, with the over-emphasis of all those portentous extreme close-ups and the tendentious, clunky 'editing exercise' sequences where different scenes or conversations are intercut. The flash-forwards were more evocative, but they were mired in a general editing schema that was pretentious and overdetermined and consequently lost a lot of their narrative power. For me, the film had no sense of rhythm. if you're going to ape Roeg, you can't afford to be this ungainly.