Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Collections

#1 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Followthis link for more on these:
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory for 25th April 2006. This collection of five newly-remastered favourites from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's Golden Era are all making their debut on DVD, and include It's Always Fair Weather, Summer Stock, Three Little Words, Till the Clouds Roll By, and Ziegfeld Follies and contain some of the most memorable numbers by the greatest stars of the genre, specifically the Hollywood musical's golden trio of immortal legends –- Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

devlinnn

#2 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:08 pm

Breathless news - the wait for these have been a long time coming.

Also wonderful is the realization that Warner have shifted gears in 2006 with what looks to be a boxset of releases every 1-2 weeks. Ken Russell, Jean Harlow, pre-code, Cagney, 50s sci-fi, Janette MacDonald, etc. etc. must all be just around the corner. Proof enough Warner see the end of the DVD road in its current state on the horizon and are making sure they can release as much as they can over the next two years.

Narshty

#3 Post by Narshty » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:13 pm

I don't think Warner's trying to stoke the engine before the train goes over the cliff. It's far more likely these vintage classics are simply selling far better than anyone expected when promoted clearly and attractively in deluxe discounted boxsets like this.

devlinnn

#4 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 pm

davidhare wrote:This only leaves The Pirate as the major unreleased Freed Musical.
Kismet I've never been that fond of, but I would class it as a major still to be released.

Maybe Warner can box-up 'The Arthur Freed Minor-Majors Collection' - Yolanda and the Thief, Du Barry, Best Foot Forward, Strike Up the Band etc.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm

Narshty wrote:I don't think Warner's trying to stoke the engine before the train goes over the cliff. It's far more likely these vintage classics are simply selling far better than anyone expected when promoted clearly and attractively in deluxe discounted boxsets like this.
I agree. Clearly, boxsets sell a lot more when properly put together. And the price helps too. And don't we all love the feel of those sturdy little things in our hands? It's like holding a piece of condensed culture ready to pop into your player!

RevKarl

#6 Post by RevKarl » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:18 am

I'm really looking forward to finally seeing the Michael Kidd dance number that was cut from It's Always Fair Weather. Back in my USC days, Gene Kelly was a guest lecturer and he told the class that the number was cut because it was substandard...an assessment that Kidd agreed with and that the co-star actually thanked Kelly for cutting the number. According to Drew Casper, who wrote a book (his dissertation, basically) on Stanley Donen, the film's co-director told him that the number was cut because it was too good and Kelly was afraid it overshadowed his "rollerskating" dance. Now we'll all finally get a chance to judge the number for ourselves.

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:42 am

Artwork

I was under the impression that this was going to be a boxset but I see no cover for it...what gives?

devlinnn

#8 Post by devlinnn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:24 am

Damn, they picked the wrong Follie! Ms. Ball may have been blessed with talent, but she was as sexually alluring as pine furniture.

My pick -

Or any one of these lovlies -

Who you gonna call?

I'm sure the box-set will be there.

(Although, what did happen to the new 'Academy Award Winners Collection' set for next week? All these titles (Kitty Foyle, Johnny Belinda, Lust for Life etc.) look to be only individual releases now.)

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:08 pm

devlinnn wrote:I'm sure the box-set will be there.
And here it is in all its hideous glory... :roll:

whaleallright

#10 Post by whaleallright » Fri May 05, 2006 1:11 am

Question: are the DVD cases that come in these Warners box sets (such as this one, the "Classic Comedies" collection, etc.) shrink-wrapped? Or are they loose inside in the box?

Ashirg

#11 Post by Ashirg » Fri May 05, 2006 1:26 am

loose inside in the box. I think only one Warner boxset from many that I own came shrink-wrapped, but I forgot which one.

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 am

skuhn8

#13 Post by skuhn8 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:43 pm

Ashirg wrote:loose inside in the box. I think only one Warner boxset from many that I own came shrink-wrapped, but I forgot which one.
The Yankee Doodle/Treasure of Sierra Madre/Adventures of Robin Hood came individually shrinkwrapped in a box.

foggy eyes

#14 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Forthcoming.

The Pirate at last!

Full Specs:
[quote]Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Volume 2 for 24th July 2007. This collection of seven newly-remastered favorites from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's Golden Era features the DVD debuts of The Pirate, That's Dancing, and Words and Music along with two new to DVD Double Feature discs: a pair of Mario Lanza/Kathryn Grayson musicals -- That Midnight Kiss and Toast of New York, and two Fred Astaire favorites -- Royal Wedding/ Belle of New York.

Following last year's successful Volume 1 (reviewed here) this second collection of the fabled studio's vintage musicals features some of the most memorable numbers by the greatest stars of the genre, top lined by the Hollywood musical's golden trio of immortal legends –- Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Landmark numbers include Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling and with a coat rack, Gene Kelly's “Be a Clown,â€

starmanof51

#15 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:41 pm

And Magical Maestro as an extra on Belle of New York.

Belmondo

#16 Post by Belmondo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Mostly second tier stuff, but I am sure I will end up buying this set for the commentaries and bonus features. Am I the only knucklehead that does this? Please tell me I am not alone.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 pm

I usually buy these as a set and then sell on most of the titles after I've watched them once. Since the discs sell for more singly than in the set, I almost always break even. I'm sure to do the same with this one, keeping only The Pirate and possibly That's Dancing.

Lino

#18 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:32 am

Great set, great extras, great deal all around. The Pirate and That's Dancing on the same day? Count me in!

Lino

#19 Post by Lino » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Artwork is already available if you follow the link on the first post of this thread.

Michael

#20 Post by Michael » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Finally watched It's Always Fair Weather today. Quite enjoyable. Gay sparks fly everywhere whenever the three buddies share the screen. :) An enormous smile spread across my face when this blond soldier rubs/caresses his Italian friend's shoulder as the three buddies sing together in that bar. They're so in love!

But anyway, I'd loved the movie more if it had more numbers with the more entertaining people - Cyd and Dolores, of course. I wanted more of them, especially after being spoiled recently by Cyd's haunting, astounding presence in The Band Wagon. And Dolores! Fabulous woman. I loved her mannerisms! She's the most memorable thing about the movie.

This is the only musical movie my friend chooses to teach his film appreciation class. Interesting choice.

Matt

#21 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:56 pm

Michael wrote:But anyway, I'd loved the movie more if it had more numbers with the more entertaining people - Cyd and Dolores, of course.
I've seen this a few times and Cyd and Dolores' numbers are still about the only things I remember. I love Dolores' over-the-top soap commercial (pleeeeease rememberrrrrr) and "Baby, You Knock Me Out" is perfection.

devlinnn

#22 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:24 pm

I might be reading way too much into it, but It's Always Fair Weather really plays out beautifully the ups and downs of the Donen/Kelly relationship, both personal and professional. A group of people brought together through fate, are tied to each other by profession that leads to deep friendship, then, well, as they say - people change. Comden and Green, Kelly and Donen, the swapping of lovers and wives, all under Freed's big shed. What a time...

Kelly's rampant ego at this point does bring the film down a notch in comparison to the other A-musicals, but I kind of love it more because of these faults. Life and art is messy, f***** up and out-of-control, just like I imagine the Donen/Kelly situation to be at this point in time. But how they forgot to include a Cyd/Gene number is a cruel mystery....

Matt

#23 Post by Matt » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Just realized that Belle of New York is one of the three Arthur Freed-produced musicals I've never seen. After I watch that and get around to watching the tape of The Subterraneans a certain poster was very kind to send me, I'll only have the elusive Summer Holiday remaining.

foggy eyes

#24 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Matt

#25 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Just finished watching That's Dancing! That Eleanor Powell box set needs to come out now.

The Pirate looks just a wee bit dark to me. I'm sure Warners did they best they could short of an Ultra Resolution remaster, but the whole transfer just looks every so grimy. I know color tones are intentionally muted (you can see that from stills of Judy in costume), but it has an overall dark haze that you don't see in, say, Easter Parade, another MGM musical shot by Harry Stradling the same year. Have I mentioned that it looks dark?

I'll see if I can post a comparison from this disc and from That's Entertainment, Part II or something.