'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Big Ben

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3601 Post by Big Ben » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Well at least he didn't end up making a Borat joke about "MY WIFE!"

jbeall

#3602 Post by jbeall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 pm

furbicide

#3603 Post by furbicide » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 pm

If that was AO Scott or Jonathan Romney, we might have a scandal on our hands. Some guy from the National Review, on the other hand ... I mean, he's just hitting key performance indicators, isn't he?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3604 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:02 am

This is not evidence of anything, other than the ease of witch hunting online. The article even points out how several movies don't fit the narrative of Smith as racist, yet thankfully there are loopholes to explain away any of his positive responses as further proof of his villainy

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#3605 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 am

Not really the point, but why in this age of short attention spans do so many internet articles lead with so much unreadable fluff? By my count, it’s the fifth paragraph of that article before the author even begins to get to what the article is about. And I’m not picking on him in particular, because it’s a pretty common style all over the internet these days. Just seems ironic, is all.

Boosmahn

#3606 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 am

70+ (and counting!) Reddit users have voted The LEGO Movie as one of the greatest films of all time. I know it's just a popularity contest, but seriously?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3607 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Infuriating excerpt from Blu-ray.com 'film critic' Brian Orndorf's review of You Were Never Really Here:
There was much hullaballoo about her sudden abandonment of the project, with some speculating that Ramsay would never be permitted to make another movie.
Ramsay hasn’t made a movie for a very long time, and her latest plays like a filmmaker trying to regain balance through the comfort of the familiar after suffering an unfortunate career disruption.
Would anyone talk about Malick this way? Kubrick? We Need to Talk About Kevin was in fucking 2011. Screams sexist horseshit to me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3608 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Only time anyone will ever describe this movie with the words "comfort" or "familiar"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3609 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I think a better parallel is Tony Kaye... I don't think he's wrong to question whether a director who absconded from production without warning could secure funding-- I was surprised myself, to be honest, as I am now upon learning that Josh Trank has lined up a new film. Being a woman has nothing to do with it

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3610 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Orndorf's point here is that this film is somehow impacted by Ramsay's not making a movie "for a very long time" and I don't think any male director of Ramsay's stature would be on the receiving end of that criticism regardless of the quality level of whatever film they made six years after their prior one. I agree with you to a point about her abandonment of her last project, but "permitted to make another movie" is a very odd way to put it indeed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3611 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:56 pm

I would without hesitation use the same word choice for Trank or Kaye, and think it's apt here-- she commited a grievous sin by walking away like she did, period, and I wouldn't blame any financier for never trusting her again. She doesn't self-fund her feature films, so "permit" is not inaccurate

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3612 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:59 pm

By the independent film police? Securing funding and having "permission" to do something are two different things.

Big Ben

#3613 Post by Big Ben » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Trank to my understanding was abusing drugs and was combative on set. The result is the abomination that was released after the film was taken away from him. Not quite the same as what Ramsey did at least.

knives

#3614 Post by knives » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I would think that semantic argument is irrelevant though so long as someone would be willing to apply permission at all, no?

Ribs

#3615 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm

From the Blu-ray.com review of Inception 4K:
Nolan's reserved touch; the movie wasn't made to be a visual dazzler, at least not from a purely photographic process perspective.

Boosmahn

#3616 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm

These Blu-ray.com The Zodiac Killer and The Violent Years reviews are very puzzling to me. The overall scores are both 2/5, which are pretty much based on Kauffman's opinions on the films themselves. These movies are marketed and widely known as trash, so why Blu-ray.com hires someone who doesn't like such exploitation fare seems counterintuitive. I don't think it's fair to lower the overall scores in cases like this.

Also, while I can't say anything about the quality of the supplements themselves, why are both of the "extras" scores 2.5/5? The Violent Years alone features an audio commentary, rare footage of an abandoned Ed Wood project, nearly 18 minutes of trailers, and an entire feature-length bonus film. Certainly, that's at least a 3?!

mistakaninja

#3617 Post by mistakaninja » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Infuriating excerpt from Blu-ray.com 'film critic' Brian Orndorf's review of You Were Never Really Here:
There was much hullaballoo about her sudden abandonment of the project, with some speculating that Ramsay would never be permitted to make another movie.
Ramsay hasn’t made a movie for a very long time, and her latest plays like a filmmaker trying to regain balance through the comfort of the familiar after suffering an unfortunate career disruption.
Would anyone talk about Malick this way? Kubrick? We Need to Talk About Kevin was in fucking 2011. Screams sexist horseshit to me.
Quite aside from anything else, the gap between Kevin and YWNRH was shorter than the earlier gap between Morvern Callar and Kevin.

Roger Ryan

#3618 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 am

With his three post-Barry Lyndon films (a span of twenty years), you could always find an article or three stating that Kubrick was "late to the party" and had lost his innovative edge: The Shining came seven years too late to revolutionize the horror film; everyone else had done their "Vietnam" films a decade before Full Metal Jacket was released; and Eyes Wide Shut had been beaten to the punch by Red Shoe Diary.

zedz

#3619 Post by zedz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:everyone else had done their "Vietnam" films a decade before Full Metal Jacket was released
What are you talking about? Full Metal Jacket came smack dab in the middle of the big Hollywood wave of Vietnam films.

Cremildo

#3620 Post by Cremildo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:05 pm

zedz wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:everyone else had done their "Vietnam" films a decade before Full Metal Jacket was released
What are you talking about? Full Metal Jacket came smack dab in the middle of the big Hollywood wave of Vietnam films.
Not sure if your tone is warranted.

It came after The Deer Hunter, Coming Home, The Boys in Company C, Apocalypse Now, Birdy and Platoon.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3621 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Platoon came out in '86 and was awarded Best Pic in '87, same year Kubrick's film came out. How much more primo Vietnam fever can you get?

Gregory

#3622 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Did anyone really believe that in 1986 or ’87 it was "too late" to make a Vietnam War film? I guess there shouldn't have been any World War II films after the early 1960s then. "The Shining came seven years too late to revolutionize the horror film"—the revolutionizing was all done by the time of The Exorcist? If critics actually said these things, it'd be interesting to name names.

Ishmael

#3623 Post by Ishmael » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Gregory wrote:If critics actually said these things, it'd be interesting to name names.
Roger Ebert, writing at the time of Full Metal Jacket's release: "After what has already been said about "Vietnam" in the movies, "Full Metal Jacket" is too little and too late."

hearthesilence

#3624 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Siskel got it - pegged it at #2 on his top ten list that year.

Big Ben

#3625 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I know it's quite evident to all of you that Kubrick has really assumed a sort mythic role in film culture in the present day in no small part because of his Pop Culture influence. Back in the day all his stuff hadn't saturated world culture and to be frank I think it's far more interesting to look at people's analysis of Kubrick way back when than today. Pauline Kael's scathing review of A Clockwork Orange makes a lot more sense to me today than the near mindless adoration it receives today.