Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
godardslave

#101 Post by godardslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:10 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Fassbinder's World on Wires is available at Super Happy Fun HERE with english subs. I have yet to order this, so I am unsure of the quality, but the film is amazing.
ENG SUBTITLES: No

Dylan

#102 Post by Dylan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:08 pm

AMB wrote:How's this bootleg of Lost Highway at Super Happy Fun?
If you have an all-region player, you should get the UK R2, which has a breathtaking transfer and a lot of extras. Skip the bootleg.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#103 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Elaborating further: it's a copy of the R4 release, which is quite noisy and apparently transferred from a release print (complete with reel change markers). Don't bother.

SHOCKMASTER

#104 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:02 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:
leech wrote:THE SILVER GLOBE looks extremely interesting.
I ordered the Ikarie XB-1 DVD from the Czech Republic direct and including shipping to the UK, it cost me $27.00. It will arrive next week, but until then, read DVD Savant's review.
Let me know how the DVD and the film is. This film looks amazing and exactly what I am looking for. On superhappyfun they say the WORLD ON WIRES disc doesn't have english subs. :((((

Gordon

#105 Post by Gordon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:26 am

godardslave wrote:
Gordon McMurphy wrote:Fassbinder's World on Wires is available at Super Happy Fun HERE with english subs. I have yet to order this, so I am unsure of the quality, but the film is amazing.
ENG SUBTITLES: No
Alas, more bumbling from yours truly. :oops:

More interesting shit at Super Happy Fun:

Letters from a Dead Man (1986, Konstantin Lopushansky)
- From Italian telly
- Italian dub?
- NO subtitles, unfortunately

Run for Cover (1955, Nicholas Ray)
- From VHS (which one?) cropped from VistaVision

Brainstorm (1965, William Conrad)
- From a Laserdisc, apparently (any idea who put out a LD?)

Uncle Joe's, The Damned from the ancient VHS - hurry up Sony, you cunts. Also available from THIS SITE.

Tony Mann's, The Naked Spur from the VHS.

Oh, I caved and ordered THIS BAD BOY. I can resist everything but temptation! :x

BrightEyes23

#106 Post by BrightEyes23 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 am

I had a thought regarding these titles that many are very interested in...

If the mods deem this taboo, I apologize and go ahead and delete this post, although I don't see any reason why it SHOULD be...

What would folks here think of making a sort of "tree" for these unauthorized releases? Basically, everyone that's broke down and acquired these titles can contribute as to what titles they have, and with the increasing decline of the cost of DVD-R's these days, create a seeding tree where everyone can collectively benefit and get to see these films? It's not taking any $$ out of anyone's pocket, except for the bootleggers themselves, and surely everyone who would be involved in it would be buying the official releases when they come out?

Any thoughts? Interest in something like this?

Gordon

#107 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 pm

I think that would be a good idea, Josh. My PC's DVD burner is working properly again and I have quite a few bootlegs of hard-to-see films that I would be glad to send out to Criterion Forum members: Czech films; Cornell Wilde's, The Naked Prey (pan and scan from Panavision, unfortunately) and No Blade of Grass (2.35:1 letterbox, I'm glad to say); Robinson Crusoe on Mars (from the Criterion LD, with the commentary version on a second disc); etc.

pemmican

#108 Post by pemmican » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:05 am

Okay, folks, I know a few of these people have copies of Skolimowski's DEEP END available. This SOUNDS like it could be a really interesting film, but I've never seen it. Does it live up to its reputation? (I'd probably buy it just to see how "Mother Sky" by Can is used in the soundtrack). Anyone know if any of the copies of it that are out there are better than others...?

Just ordered FACE TO FACE from Super Happy Fun -- learned about it through Annie Mall on the FROM THE LIFE OF THE MARIONETTES thread. It's my first non-eBay bootleg purchase. (I also have boots o' SATANTANGO, A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY, and Robert Kramer's ICE -- truly unwatchable quality, alas. And I had BAD TIMING as a boot for awhile, but now that the Criterion is out...).

A.

Rufus T. Firefly

#109 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:16 pm

BrightEyes23 wrote:I had a thought regarding these titles that many are very interested in...

If the mods deem this taboo, I apologize and go ahead and delete this post, although I don't see any reason why it SHOULD be...

What would folks here think of making a sort of "tree" for these unauthorized releases? Basically, everyone that's broke down and acquired these titles can contribute as to what titles they have, and with the increasing decline of the cost of DVD-R's these days, create a seeding tree where everyone can collectively benefit and get to see these films? It's not taking any $$ out of anyone's pocket, except for the bootleggers themselves, and surely everyone who would be involved in it would be buying the official releases when they come out?

Any thoughts? Interest in something like this?
I would be very wary about even suggesting that people do something like this. If the films are under copyright, which I expect most are, then what you are proposing is illegal i.e. infringement of copyright. Discussing this openly on a forum might conceivably be construed as conspiracy to commit an illegal act. Doesn't matter if the films are not otherwise available, doesn't matter if you think you are only taking money out of the hands of the bootleggers, doesn't matter if you would buy official releases.

BrightEyes23

#110 Post by BrightEyes23 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:12 pm

But we've got a thread about where to buy, and recommendations about buying these bootlegs? Makes a lot of sense...

Everything could be done through PM and email...I'm just tossing the idea out, people who tape live concerts and stuff do these sort of "treeing" things all the time...

I'm just reading the post above, that person spent, what $13 + shipping on "Face to Face" I bought it before, I could've sent them a copy of it for free, and saved them $13 because the quality is NOT worth it.

Rufus T. Firefly

#111 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 am

There's a difference between buying bootlegs/discussing where to buy them, and distributing them. Those who look after the interests of the copyright holders are more likely to go after people distributing bootlegs than people simply buying them. Even if the distributors are not making a profit - there have been numerous prosecutions of people posting copyrighted material for free download on the internet i.e. file-sharing.

I'm not coming down on either side here, just pointing out that this is a public forum and you don't know who's lurking here. And by allowing this discussion to go on, the administrators/owners of this forum might be leaving themselves open to potential legal action. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I wouldn't want to see anyone here get into trouble.

Cobz

#112 Post by Cobz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am

anyone know if theres any bootlegs out there of Rivettes l'amour fou?

hellboytr

#113 Post by hellboytr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 am

leech wrote:It sux I don't speak spanish. And I don't know if I am hardcore enough to watch a film without subtitles. Maybe I could understand it some with the spanish subtitles, hmmm I dunno...
Agahun created English subtitles for Sokurov's Days of Eclipse =D> , anyone interested in the film can order the Spanish DVD now and add the subtitles to it.

LightBulbFilm

#114 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:56 am

Received my unauthorized release of Coonskin (1975) yesterday and the transer is just like a VHS tape, so it's not horrible... But I wish someone would release a quality release.... WARNER BROTHERS!

Cobalt60

#115 Post by Cobalt60 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:38 pm

Since it does not look like we will be getting "official" versions of these titles for quit soom time I was wondering which are the best "unofficial". I have heard the Rarovideo versions are the best, does anyone know for sure.

El Topo

Holy Mountain

Gordon

#116 Post by Gordon » Fri May 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Hey, Super Happy Fun have added subtitles to Days of Eclipse. Fantastic!

Also, they have finally added subs to The Hour-Glass Sanitorium. Awesome!

Did I mention that Le Clan des Siciliens (Gangster masterpiece with Alain Delon, Lino Ventura, Jean Gabin, in case you've never heard of it) is now available from the French DVD, but with added subtitles from SHF?

Great stuff!

Melville's, Le Silence de la mer from the VHS, with subtitles, now available at Super Happy Fun.

Schkura

#117 Post by Schkura » Sat May 27, 2006 10:30 am

There's a difference between buying bootlegs/discussing where to buy them, and distributing them.
Bingo. I can't say I'm averse to the idea and could make many excuses as to why its a good one. But, like many good and illegal things, I wouldn't want my friends to go down for it. I suggest interested parties use direct email and take this as far away from the board as possible.

godardslave

#118 Post by godardslave » Sat May 27, 2006 3:15 pm

im really hoping they could get subs on Fassbinder's World on Wires, can anyone help...? Criterion maybe!!??

Cobalt60

#119 Post by Cobalt60 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:00 pm

Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.revok.com/

They have some Lynch stuff I want as well as El Topo and Holy Mountain but I'm curious as to the quality.

Fletch F. Fletch

#120 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue May 30, 2006 4:17 pm

Cobalt60 wrote:Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.revok.com/

They have some Lynch stuff I want as well as El Topo and Holy Mountain but I'm curious as to the quality.
Yep, I got Alex Cox's Walker from them... pretty good quality too with actual DVD artwork to go with the disc. Very nice and no problems at all.

Antoine Doinel

#121 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 30, 2006 5:22 pm

If anyone knows where I might obtain a copy of Takashi Miike's Shangri-La (a rare and wonderful foray into straight comedy), I would appreciate it.

Titus

#122 Post by Titus » Tue May 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Anybody know anything about this bootleg of Isao Takahata's Anne of Green Gables adaptation. I've got the Taiwanese set which is very solid picture-wise (some ghosting here and there, but fairly negligible), but it's, unfortunately, sans English subtitles. Rather than using the fansub as an awkward crib sheet, I was considering this as an alternative if the quality is decent. Has anyone any experience with it?

Gordon

#123 Post by Gordon » Wed May 31, 2006 2:08 am

godardslave wrote:im really hoping they could get subs on Fassbinder's World on Wires, can anyone help...? Criterion maybe!!??
Yeah, it's odd than in this Matrix-obsessed age, we have yet to see World on Wires on DVD.

BTW: The Le Clan des Siciliens DVD is anamorphic 2.35:1 and has yellow subs. The english dub is also provided. PQ is a bit soft, but it's great to finally have this superb film in its original French and OAR, hot on the heels of Army in the Shadows.
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Yep, I got Alex Cox's Walker from them... pretty good quality too with actual DVD artwork to go with the disc. Very nice and no problems at all.
Irwin, Walker was released on DVD by Universal in the UK. Gorgeous anamorphic transfer, juicy 5.1 and stereo options. Available HERE for £7.00 / $12.00. Very clever script by Rudy Wurlitzer (Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid), though desperately misunderstood by most viewers it seems. Beautiful cinematography by David Bridges. Not great, but for a gringo, good enough. :wink:

Fletch F. Fletch

#124 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed May 31, 2006 9:49 am

Ah, sadly I don't have a multi-region player yet so the copy I gots will have ta do but thanks for the heads up anyway. Yeah, I dig the film and I can see why this the final bridge that Cox burned with studio who must've hated/not understood the film at all. Heh. Now, if only I could find a Region 1 (or regionless) copy of Cox's Highway Patrolman.

tryavna

#125 Post by tryavna » Wed May 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:BTW: The Le Clan des Siciliens DVD is anamorphic 2.35:1 and has yellow subs. The english dub is also provided. PQ is a bit soft, but it's great to finally have this superb film in its original French and OAR, hot on the heels of Army in the Shadows.

I'm sure Fox does hold the rights -- certainly in the U.S. Fox Movie Channel shows the English-dub fairly regularly.