Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#76 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:42 pm

> Didn't Facets put out a And Life Goes On

I don't buy from Facets anymore -- and as I recall the Canadian version was cheaper. ;~}

SHOCKMASTER

#77 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:55 pm

mikebowes wrote:Though I've never ordered from them, more than general Kiarostami is available here: http://iranianmovies.com/reviews/kiarostami.htm
So, this appears to be my best option?

Gordon

#78 Post by Gordon » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:57 pm

Andre de Toth's brilliant existential 1948 Noir, Pitfall was recently added to Super Happy Fun's site: www.superhappyfun.com/content.htm (scroll down, or use the search)

Produced by Regal Films; VHS from Republic in 1995; is it with Paramount now?

SHOCKMASTER

#79 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:30 am

They also added KINGS OF THE ROAD and a subtitled version of A CITY OF SADNESS (which I just ordered). I believe the titles out of the Hou Hsiao Hsien box set is available there aswell.

Oedipax

#80 Post by Oedipax » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:30 am

leech wrote:a subtitled version of A CITY OF SADNESS
Hey, awesome! Been wanting to see this for ages. Any word on the quality?

spencerw

#81 Post by spencerw » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Oedipax wrote:
leech wrote:a subtitled version of A CITY OF SADNESS
Hey, awesome! Been wanting to see this for ages. Any word on the quality?
Super Happy Fun itself says that it is a transfer from a laserdisc and gives a quality rating of 8 out of 10. From past experience, I would say that puts it on a par with a good quality videotape. Not bad for $15?

viridiana

#82 Post by viridiana » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 pm

Since we're all asking for favors here, does anyone know where I could find a copy of Masaki Kobayashi's Human Condition I? I've looked everywhere that I know to look, but the best of luck I've had was finding a VHS on half.com for $150.

Gordon

#83 Post by Gordon » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 pm

At Super Happy Fun now:

Transfiguration Hospital (1979, Poland, Edward Zebrowski)
Based on Stanislaw Lem's novel.
From the Polish DVD, with subtitles by Super Happy Fun.
IMDb listing

Days of Eclipse (1988, Russian, Aleksandr Sokurov)
Epic Russian psychological sci-fi, shot in sepia tone from the director of Russian Ark.
From the 2005 Spanish DVD, with subtitles by Super Happy Fun.
IMDb listing

Murder by Contract (1958, USA, Irving Lerner)
Odd, subverted, Film Noir. Cinematography by Lucien Ballard.
IMDb listing
From VHS tape.

Une femme douce (1969, France, Robert Bresson)
From VHS; english subtitles.

Kameradschaft (1931, Germany, Georg Wilhelm Pabst)
From VHS; english subtitles.

The Millions Game (1970, Germany, Tom Toelle)
Adaptation of the late Robert Sheckley's novel, The Prize of Peril - later ripped off by
Stephen King for The Running Man - this German made-for-TV film, is far superior.
From VHS; subtitled by Super Happy Fun.
IMDb listing

yoshimori

#84 Post by yoshimori » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:05 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:At Super Happy Fun now:

Days of Eclipse
Correction? The SHF link indicates "ENG SUBTITLES: NO".

Gordon

#85 Post by Gordon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:19 pm

Right you are, Yoshi. I haven't ordered it yet. I was sure that the SHF newsletter stated that they had subbed it. Sorry for misleading you and others. :oops:

Steven H

#86 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:39 am

Shame about Days of the Eclipse. I recently bought the non-english subtitled Russian DVD of this was was blown away (with or without knowing what was going on.) SHF also recently added Bresson's Four Nights of a Dreamer (though I haven't checked the quality yet.) If it's anything like the english subtitled version I have... well, let's hope it's not.

SHOCKMASTER

#87 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 am

I would advise that one should NOT BUY the superhappyfun dvd bootleg of Hou's A CITY OF SADNESS. The intertitles in the film are NOT subtitled. According to people who have seen the film the intetitles are VERY necessary in understanding story elements of the film. I was very dissapointed in this and I have opted to not watch the DVD.

On another note, does anbody know where I could find a copy or atleast see Resnais' sci-fi film JE T'AIME, JE T'AIME. It sounds amazing.

hellboytr

#88 Post by hellboytr » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:59 am

leech wrote:On another note, does anbody know where I could find a copy or atleast see Resnais' sci-fi film JE T'AIME, JE T'AIME.
There is an unofficial, vhs-quality DVD with hardcoded English subs, you can find it on eBay.

SHOCKMASTER

#89 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Whoa. Thank you for the information.

How about Aleksandr Sokurov's THE DAYS OF ECLIPSE? Where could I find a copy of that?

Gordon

#90 Post by Gordon » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:50 pm

Super Happy Fun also have Je t'aime, je t'aime. Click HERE.

I have a copy. Quality is poor, but serviceable. Brilliant, confounding piece of prime sci-fi. Great use of Krzysztof Penderecki's music - but which piece is it?

Was this film shot anamorphic, ie. Dyaliscope/Panavision? This film - as does much of Resnais' films - badly needs a gorgeous DVD edition.

SHOCKMASTER

#91 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:33 am

Yes. Sci-fi films (and novels) are my thing - especially by master filmmakers. I am trying to compile a list of GREAT sci-fi films to track down. If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations please contact me via private message.

I am now also looking for a bootleg copy or whatever of Konstantin Lopushansky's LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN - it sounds incredible.

solaris72

#92 Post by solaris72 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 am

leech wrote:I am now also looking for a bootleg copy or whatever of Konstantin Lopushansky's LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN - it sounds incredible.
Yeah, it's pretty great (I got to see it in 35mm at the MFA a year and a half ago). Very influenced by Stalker, which is no surprise; Lopushansky is listed in the credits of Stalker as a production assistant, and the script of Letters was cowritten by Boris Strugatsky, who cowrote Roadside Picnic from which Stalker was made.
This guy looks to be offering an apparently subtitled bootleg of Letters, check the second page of "new non-asian movies." It's possible that he's only interested in trades, though.

SHOCKMASTER

#93 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:17 am

I'll check it out. Thank you so much for your insights. Do you know of any other foreign sci-fi films which you could recommend to me? Something similar to, say... LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN?

solaris72

#94 Post by solaris72 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:04 am

leech wrote:I'll check it out. Thank you so much for your insights. Do you know of any other foreign sci-fi films which you could recommend to me? Something similar to, say... LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN?
IKARIE XB-1, which I also got to see in 35mm courtesy the MFA, is pretty astounding. Beautiful B&W 'scope cinematography, and vast, atmospheric spaceship sets. The story is (unoffically) adapted from The Astronauts by Stanislaw Lem (which is as yet untranslated into english). It has finally been released on an uncut, anamorphic DVD with english subtitles, you will need a player that can play PAL discs, however. http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=7362
Here are some other titles, all of which can be found subtitled at Superhappyfun:
Kin Dza Dza
The Silver Globe
Moebius

SHOCKMASTER

#95 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:01 pm

Excellent. Thank you for the recommendations. THE SILVER GLOBE looks extremely interesting. As far as IKARIE X-B1, I'll have to think about dropping $30 bux on something blindly - I wish it was cheaper of course, any word on a r1 release? Because I could rent it then.

Have you seen Fassbinder's WORLD ON WIRES?

Oh my... I just realized that DAYS OF ECLIPSE is on superhappyfun. Damn. Must buy. Now. Oh wait! No english subs? DAMN

hellboytr

#96 Post by hellboytr » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:20 am

leech wrote:How about Aleksandr Sokurov's THE DAYS OF ECLIPSE? Where could I find a copy of that?
Days Of Eclipse was released on DVD in Spain with separate Spanish subs.

Discoweb (reliable and low shipping charge)

SHOCKMASTER

#97 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:28 pm

It sux I don't speak spanish. And I don't know if I am hardcore enough to watch a film without subtitles. Maybe I could understand it some with the spanish subtitles, hmmm I dunno...

Anybody here have experiences watching a film without subtitles when you have little to no understanding of the film's language?

Steven H

#98 Post by Steven H » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:38 pm

There are programs you can find that will rip the subtitles off of a DVD (here's one there are more). Search for one of those, get the subs off of that one, copy and paste them to a text file, then just Babelfish, or Google translate, the spanish text. Print out and follow along.

It should get you through (though you may find the translated subs awkward).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#99 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:18 pm

How's this bootleg of Lost Highway at Super Happy Fun?

Gordon

#100 Post by Gordon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:53 pm

leech wrote:THE SILVER GLOBE looks extremely interesting.
It is! An extraordinary film. I ordered the Ikarie XB-1 DVD from the Czech Republic direct and including shipping to the UK, it cost me $27.00. It will arrive next week, but until then, read DVD Savant's review.

Fassbinder's World on Wires is available at Super Happy Fun HERE with english subs. I have yet to order this, so I am unsure of the quality, but the film is amazing. Hopefully, someone in the U.S. or UK will pick up Days of the Eclipse soon.