The Sopranos

Discuss TV shows old and new.
ben d banana

#26 Post by ben d banana » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 am

Michael wrote:I agree with the Invunche about the "glamorization" of violence in the Sopranos. Do you have a theory of how it's going to end?
They're under contract for 18 more episodes and Lorraine Bracco recently said on The Colbert Report that she hopes it continues further.

obloquy

#27 Post by obloquy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 am

ben d banana wrote:
Michael wrote:I agree with the Invunche about the "glamorization" of violence in the Sopranos. Do you have a theory of how it's going to end?
They're under contract for 18 more episodes and Lorraine Bracco recently said on The Colbert Report that she hopes it continues further.
My wife read somewhere that the plan is to make one "season" of 20 episodes to be shown partly this year and partly next year. Not enough episodes to be considered two seasons, but I'm not sure if the scheduling will be broken up as if they're individual seasons.

ben d banana

#28 Post by ben d banana » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 am

Split up between twelve episodes and eight episodes.

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:27 am

I read somewhere that Chase is done with it, and Gandolfini feels completely done with the character to the point of being done with mafioso characters in general.

flyonthewall2983

#30 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:19 am

Unrelated, but I think this season of The Shield has been one of the better seasons of a show I've ever seen, including The Sopranos.

The Invunche

#31 Post by The Invunche » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Fly, did you see the season finale yesterday?

Goddamn Cleetus Van Damme is all I have to say.

flyonthewall2983

#32 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Yeah I did, but I gotta be honest, that reference flew right by me in a flash.

The Invunche

#33 Post by The Invunche » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Cleetus Van Damme is what Shane called himself when he rented a space to keep the money from the money train.

flyonthewall2983

#34 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am

Ah...I must admit my knowledge of the show isn't exactly picture perfect. But when I saw the previews and saw that Forest was going to be on, I knew it would be explosive. The end was heartbreaking.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

souvenir

#35 Post by souvenir » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 am

How about not giving away spoilers for The Shield in a thread for The Sopranos?
Last edited by souvenir on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#36 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:28 am

Done, my bad lol.

The Invunche

#37 Post by The Invunche » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:46 am

souvenir, it's pretty impossible for fly to edit the part you quoted.

The Invunche

#38 Post by The Invunche » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:39 pm

"Oh my God. I found Jimmy Hoffa."

Andre Jurieu

#39 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I enjoy how the cost of Paulie's grief over having found out about his mother is about $4000 per month.

The Invunche

#40 Post by The Invunche » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Paulie has always been a mean motherfucker.

I liked when Hesh's wife says "the evangelicals are great friends of the Jews because Israel is the holy land" and Hesh just says "You wait".

flyonthewall2983

#41 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 am

The Invunche wrote:"Oh my God. I found Jimmy Hoffa."
I loved that line. I also liked the Floyd playing over the end credits, that song especially. It signals, in my mind at least, a darker sign of things to come.

The Invunche

#42 Post by The Invunche » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:08 am

No comments on Vito in leather?

Andre Jurieu

#43 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:00 pm

The Invunche wrote:No comments on Vito in leather?
I thought it was fairly hilarious, especially with the way he waddles.

I was more impressed at the sequence at the end where Tony tries to figure out which member of the herd to prey upon so he can maintain his position of respect. Did Steve Buscemi direct this one? If so, his use of slow-mo towards the end was fantastic. I also enjoyed the reflection of Tony with a slight smirk/grin in the murky glass of the bathroom right before he pukes blood (again). I also loved the conversation about The Godfather that Christopher and Tony have about refusing a man's request on his daughter's wedding day - that's comic gold.

I bet Vito decided not to plug himself. The preview said something about Tony deciding whether or not he gives a top earner a second chance. I assume they are talking about Vito, though I have my doubts that he survives the next episode.

The Invunche

#44 Post by The Invunche » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:44 pm

Yes, Buscemi did direct this episode. And it was a great sequence. I kept thinking he was gonna do the other fat guy, the one who married his sister.

About, Vito, when he picked up a gun I was sure he was gonna kill the two guys who saw him at the bar. I can't see him survive either.

And these guys are ruthless, Johnnie Sack shows one instance of weakness and they're pretty much all (except for Tony) ready to give up on him.

Michael

#45 Post by Michael » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:57 pm

No comments on Vito in leather?

I nearly lost my dinner. It was hilarious but also sad.

When Johnny Sacks cried at the wedding, the gang was concerned about it being a sign of weakness. I thought that was brilliant and so true. And the ending.. wow is all I have to say! Certainly one of the best episodes. Buscemi should stick to directing every episode.

By the way, what do you folks think of Six Feet Under?

The Invunche

#46 Post by The Invunche » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 pm

It's pretty gay.

Lino

#47 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Michael wrote:By the way, what do you folks think of Six Feet Under?
Quite simply the best TV series since Twin Peaks.

Michael

#48 Post by Michael » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Quite simply the best TV series since Twin Peaks.

I agree with all my heart. Of all the characters - films, books, plays, television shows - that came into my 37 year life, Nate is the one I identify with the most. Nate is really me. Six Feet Under has the best and most forthright and realistic gay characters ever breathed in the history of America. Thinking about the finale episode brings me goosebumps all over every time.

Andre Jurieu

#49 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:28 am

The Invunche wrote:Yes, Buscemi did direct this episode. And it was a great sequence. I kept thinking he was gonna do the other fat guy, the one who married his sister.
It definitely looked like Bobby was Tony's first pick, until he realized Bobby might actually be somewhat athletic. Plus, he really looked a bit hesitant to beat the crap out of any member of his crew. The driver just had too much separation from the rest of the guys in the room. He was expendable and had way too much of a physical presence.
The Invunche wrote:About, Vito, when he picked up a gun I was sure he was gonna kill the two guys who saw him at the bar. I can't see him survive either.
I never really thought of that. I just assumed that he was resolved to end it all. I was actually wondering why the hell these guys would pick up their payment so late at night, during business hours. Why not just pick up the money in the morning? It didn't really look like they were enjoying the atmosphere in there too much, so why not just stop by before the place is open. It just seemed like a little slip of script logic to me.
The Invunche wrote:And these guys are ruthless, Johnnie Sack shows one instance of weakness and they're pretty much all (except for Tony) ready to give up on him.
Yeah, for some reason I didn't expect that type of reaction, but it makes sense. I kind of benefitted Tony, but it also forced his hand.

As for Six Feet Under, I actually thought the show started out well. It was an interesting premise using death and grief and I was interested to see how the family dealt with the loss of its jerk patriarch. I watched the first and second season pretty regularly and was willing to overlook the familiar American Beauty tone to it all ... and then the show descended into lunacy. I gave up pretty quick after that, since it just felt like either a semi-mature soap-opera or a ridiculous drama. I caught the closing sequence of the finale because I accidentally taped it when it ran long (and delayed Entourage). As moving as it was meant to be, without the context of the rest of the finale, it looked just as overwrought and self-indulgent as I had come to expect from the show. It didn't help that the make-up looked awful.
Last edited by Andre Jurieu on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

benm

#50 Post by benm » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:56 am

these guys don't work in the morning.

the only thing i don't like about this show is that i wish every episode was 2 hours.