Lost

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Lost

#76 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Matt wrote:The design is awfully heavy on the island mythology for a show that was "character-driven." Wonder why they opted not to design it like a white church full of people hugging.
=D>

knives

#77 Post by knives » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 pm

tsk, tsk Mfunk.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#78 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:14 pm

That was the idea. ;)

Zumpano

#79 Post by Zumpano » Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am

ABC says final images not part of the story

Zumpano

#80 Post by Zumpano » Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 am

John Cope wrote:This nearly gave me an epileptic seizure but it's funny as hell and dead on; it should also be evidence enough for why this is most definitively NOT the best network drama ever.
Funny video, but I had a feeling while watching that most of those questions were answered or could be explained away. Movieline and Lostpedia make the case, though there's still a lingering few...

Polybius

#81 Post by Polybius » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 am

“'The images shown during the end credits of the Lost finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news,' an ABC spokesperson told the Times."

They should've used the indian head test pattern if that was their goal.

Another alternate ending making it's way around...

dx23

#82 Post by dx23 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

CollegeHumor shows us all the questions that remain unanswered.

Zumpano

#83 Post by Zumpano » Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 am

dx23 wrote:CollegeHumor shows us all the questions that remain unanswered.
See my links above; a lot of those questions were answered/can be explained. There's only about 5 or 6 legitimate unanswered questions by my count...

denti alligator

#84 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:12 am

I've watched half of season one and am still of two minds.

The acting seems middling. All around. Sometimes even annoying. B rate performances, but maybe that's what they're after, so I'm willing to forgive them. If only there were a sense that the show didn't take itself so damn seriously I could get over it.

(A side note: I was a bit peeved that the Iraqi flashbacks were in English. The Korean flashbacks were in Korean. These kinds of inconsistencies drive me nuts.)

The worst aspect of the show, however, are the maudlin moments. And there are so many of these. You know: Sawyer is the outcast, but if he tries a little, maybe people will start accepting him and smiling at him. Ugh. Too faux feel-goody.

I guess I'm more interested in the island mystery plot, so that since I find some of the performances so uninteresting the show's emphasis on characters is leaving me unsure what to appreciate and take pleasure in as a show.

I will stick through to the end of the first season before deciding if I want to continue.

dx23

#85 Post by dx23 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 pm

denti alligator wrote:(A side note: I was a bit peeved that the Iraqi flashbacks were in English. The Korean flashbacks were in Korean. These kinds of inconsistencies drive me nuts.)
I don't know if you have gotten to that part yet, but there is a reasoning behind this, believe it or not.

denti alligator

#86 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:59 pm

dx23 wrote:
denti alligator wrote:(A side note: I was a bit peeved that the Iraqi flashbacks were in English. The Korean flashbacks were in Korean. These kinds of inconsistencies drive me nuts.)
I don't know if you have gotten to that part yet, but there is a reasoning behind this, believe it or not.
I find it hard to believe. Sayid and the prisoner began in Arabic and then switched to English, which was maintained throughout. Unless the flashbacks are somehow being filtered through a narrating consciousness that knows no Arabic but does know Korean (an insane idea!), what could possibly explain this?

dx23

#87 Post by dx23 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 pm

denti alligator wrote:
dx23 wrote:
I find it hard to believe. Sayid and the prisoner began in Arabic and then switched to English, which was maintained throughout. Unless the flashbacks are somehow being filtered through a narrating consciousness that knows no Arabic but does know Korean (an insane idea!), what could possibly explain this?
Well, since you watched already half of the season, I guess I can tell you. The reasoning of the Korean flashbacks is to stay with the idea that Sun didn't speak English. No one except her English tutor knew that she spoke English fluently. Since the language barrier was a part of the plot and part of what made Sun and Jin outcasts, they kept those scenes in Korean, while the Sayid flashbacks in spoken English.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#88 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes, the creators have mentioned that if they had their druthers, the whole thing would have been in English, but this plot device was the only thing stopping them.

denti alligator

#89 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:39 pm

But that didn't force them to do the Iraqi segments in English. On the contrary. They could have been consistent about it.

Made it through the Numbers episode and the episode after that. These two really brought the show to a new level for me. I feel there's much more of a balance of characters now, whereas in the earlier episodes Jack, Kate, Sawyer really dominated. Also, the complexity of the plot is beginning to show itself.

My only beef with the past few episodes is the misuse of the term "immaculate conception"--and no, I'm not Catholic. I'm just surprised the writers/producers would let this by.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#90 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 am

Here's a luxurious video virtual unboxing of the new Complete Series set. I really wish it'd be steered away from toys and trinkets and more towards actual exclusive bonus content, but it still looks quite nice.

I'm wondering if the Blu-rays for Season 3 and 4 will be re-done with the improved Season Play capability that Season 1, 2, 5, and 6 have. I'm guessing they're just going to repackage the original discs, but I can still dream.

Murdoch

#91 Post by Murdoch » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Ew, sleeves. They could have at least done a decent packaging job, it looks like they were so busy filling the box with useless junk they forgot they had to put discs in it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#92 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 pm

I can't really see Blu-rays being damaged in the slightest by sleeves.

Polybius

#93 Post by Polybius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 am

Murdoch wrote:[...] it looks like they were so busy filling the box with useless junk they forgot they had to put discs in it.
A ruder person than I would suggest that was a fitting metaphor for the way the series eventually played out.

dx23

#94 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm

In what appears to be a big screwup on Disney's part, the Blu-ray season 6 set being sold at Best Buy is including the exclusive Complete set bonus disc instead of the exclusive Best Buy disc that had completely different extras. The Best Buy Season 6 DVD set has their correct exclusive bonus disc.

pzadvance

#95 Post by pzadvance » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:06 am

Polybius

#96 Post by Polybius » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 am

"Damon Lindelof on Why 'Breaking Bad's' Finale Let Him Say Goodbye to 'Lost'"

-OR-

"Enough About Me. What Do You Think About Me?"