Dexter

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 am

If the first season was masterfully done, then the 2nd season was certainly flawed. Regardless, I'm happy that Showtime gave the greenlight for the 3rd season, obviously to be started on once the strike is over. Thoughts?

Morbii

#2 Post by Morbii » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:28 pm

The first season was fantastic. As I wait until shows come out on DVD before watching, I still have yet to see the secoond season. However, I have heard it was also quite good (which may be slightly contradictory to your post). Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to more of this show.

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 am

The flaws are relatively minor compared to the highlights. I won't spoil anything here, but Michael C. Hall stepped it up with his performances.

moviscop

#4 Post by moviscop » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

I absolutely love Dexter. I think the writing is top notch and C. Hall is just an amazing actor.

I really liked the character development and can't wait to see what happens starting September 30th!

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 am

That's when the 3rd season starts? I was thinking it'd be much later because of delays due to the writer's strike.

Murdoch

#6 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:58 am

Judging by how many promos have been on for the show, and Showtime on Demand's availability of both seasons, I'm guessing it is coming back sometime this summer. However, this is just speculation.

At first I thought Dexter would be pretty one-note, but the main character has developed so well and the writers have dealt with his internal struggles over his morality and past in a very interesting way. I love how this show manages to satirize the crime drama genre, while also provide deep ruminations on the ethics of killing "bad people." The only character I have a problem with is Masuka, who seems like the same-old Asian nerd stereotype.

I don't want to give anything away about the second season for those who haven't seen it, so don't read further if you don't want minor spoilers, but with two seasons dedicated to season-long serial killer manhunts I wonder if season three will take a completely different approach and have no season-long story arch, but instead focus on Dexter's further development and his questioning of Harry's code. I'd like to see Deb start asking Dexter about what happened between him and Harry during all that time they spent together. Also [HUGE SPOILER}, who thought Harry walking in on Dexter mutilating a corpse and Harry's subsequent suicide was the most disturbing story put on TV in the past decade?
Last edited by Murdoch on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moviscop

#7 Post by moviscop » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 am

Season 3 is premiering September 30th

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:15 pm

moviscop

Re: Dexter

#9 Post by moviscop » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 pm

Great season so far. I really like how they are developing Dexter's character. It is still very interesting and entertaining.

LQ

#10 Post by LQ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 am

I've been meaning to start watching this show, so I caught the first two episodes of season one last night and I must ask- Does the writing get any better? I think I could really grow to like the intrigue and the characters, but the show's dialogue is awful! Especially his internal thoughts... Looking down at an empty donut box, "Empty inside. Just like me."
arrrgh!! The only difference between this and say, Tru Blood's (which I also caught for the first time last night) cheesy writing is that Dexter seems to take itself very seriously. Everyone who has posted here seems to think highly of the first season, so mayble I'm alone with my opinion, but the writing in the first 2 episodes is holding me back from wanting to plow forward.

Mr Sausage

#11 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:51 pm

LQ wrote:Dexter seems to take itself very seriously.
Dexter is nothing if not an insincere show. The thing abounds with the most mordant ironies. A deranged sociopath comparing his lack of recognizable humanity to an empty donut box is worth a chuckle, especially with Hall's bemused delivery. The character is always aware of the ridiculousness of any given situation. The second season does handle the humourous tone better (it's also just funnier), but the humour is still there in spades in the first season. The setting alone--lovely, bright, blue weather; palm trees, sand; sterile and open interiors--is a collossal joke.

LQ

#12 Post by LQ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
LQ wrote:Dexter seems to take itself very seriously.
Dexter is nothing if not an insincere show. The thing abounds with the most mordant ironies. A deranged sociopath comparing his lack of recognizable humanity to an empty donut box is worth a chuckle, especially with Hall's bemused delivery. The character is always aware of the ridiculousness of any given situation. The second season does handle the humourous tone better (it's also just funnier), but the humour is still there in spades in the first season. The setting alone--lovely, bright, blue weather; palm trees, sand; sterile and open interiors--is a collossal joke.
Hum, I suppose I'm not in on the joke then, yet. It was just hackneyed writing to me. Buuut that's certainly a shiny recommendation you just left there, so I'll give it another whirl.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:12 pm

Despite the idea that it's a joke, the setting annoys me to no end. It constantly takes me out of the intended mood of the show, there's nothing more bland than Miami. It's hot, it's loud, there's no pizza...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Dexter is John McCain's favorite TV show

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 am

LOL. Someone wrote an article in a newspaper last year about the potential candidates favorite TV shows, and it ended with the reporter wondering aloud if any of them favored Dexter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:12 am

He also loves Prison Break. Oddly enough, Obama and McCain do share one TV show in common: the Wire

Antoine Doinel

#17 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 pm

So, how awesome was the last episode of Dexter? Clearly Jimmy Smits is going to get it after he kills the lawyer, but now that he knows how Dexter operates it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

And is there a reason they can't write Deborah any better than a horny detective who needs to sleep with a different person involved with the central case every season?

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:Dexter is John McCain's favorite TV show
Do you have a link for this source?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
It's in the McCain interview from this month's issue of Radar

LQ

#20 Post by LQ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
It's in the McCain interview from this month's issue of Radar
He seems to be flipflopping. In the fluff interview that I read, he professed to love The Tudors above all. Although I seem to remember he also said that he mostly just reads the scripts (?!) of these tv shows because he doesn't have time to watch them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 pm

He does also list the Tudors, the Sopranos, Seinfeld, and Lost in the interview, and says he's looking forward to watching the John Adams miniseries. This is a man who loves TV

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Or, this is a man who is name dropping the most popular TV shows in order show that he is "current".

LQ

#23 Post by LQ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Or, this is a man who is name dropping the most popular TV shows in order show that he is "current".
bingo

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Prison Break is by no definition a popular TV series

Morbii

#25 Post by Morbii » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 am

Amazon is now taking pre-orders for Dexter season 3 on DVD and Blu-Ray (though isn't mentioning the actual release date).