Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Professor Wagstaff

Re: Twin Peaks

#1126 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

I've found that Amazon often doesn't have movies I've pre-ordered in stock, specifically specialty titles or movies from niche labels. This isn't out of the ordinary at all. That doesn't make it less frustrating for people who want it today, but the Twitter crowd needs to chill out and just hit up their local Best Buy (every store in my area has it).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1127 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

This motivated me to just bite the bullet and order it from Amazon just in case they find a few extra boxes before it takes a while for it to be restocked. The closest Best Buy to me with one in stock is 29 miles away.

Big Ben

#1128 Post by Big Ben » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:This motivated me to just bite the bullet and order it from Amazon just in case they find a few extra boxes before it takes a while for it to be restocked. The closest Best Buy to me with one in stock is 29 miles away.
My local Best Buy is 229 miles away. Given my situation I'll have to wait a very long time unless the two Wal-Marts in town decide to start selling this.

It's obviously understood by me that a manufacturer only makes a certain amount of something but how big must this demand be? And how badly did they underestimate?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1129 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm

It's possible they didn't anticipate the amount of people who waited for a physical release to watch this and based production off of the TV ratings, which were poor.

colinr0380

#1130 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

I have just received my copy of the Blu-ray set of Season 3/"A limited event series" and there is an interesting statement in tiny fine print on the back of the box (just above the BBFC logo on the UK version of the set) saying: "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions". It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!

Big Ben

#1131 Post by Big Ben » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Lynch has edited his work before out of what he perceived was decency. Mulholland Drive was edited to darken sequences with Laura Henning's nude body. I don't know if that's what may have been possibly edited but Lynch has certainly edited after the fact before.

Boosmahn

#1132 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm

colinr0380 wrote:... It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!
A few sex scenes were probably edited. There are two notable ones (being in the first and last episodes, respectively), but that first episode was pretty graphic, especially for a TV show. Lynch most likely changed it to remove some of the nudity.

Roger Ryan

#1133 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 am

I'm thinking the disclaimer could be referring to the fact that Showtime aired episodes one and two together as a two-hour premiere, but split them apart (adding credits to the first episode) for "On Demand" streaming; something similar was done for episodes three and four. The new box set was promoted as offering both viewing experiences ("Parts 1 and 2, and Parts 3 and 4 can be watched separately or conjoined as originally aired on Showtime on May 21st."), but, perhaps, the disclaimer was deemed necessary.

I seriously doubt Lynch would censor anything in the series. His alteration of the scene in Mulholland Drive was to prevent one nude shot from showing up on the internet once a home video version was released. Twin Peaks has already played on Showtime and its "On Demand" service so everything in the series has, or could potentially, show up on-line. If there was an issue with a corporate logo being used without permission ("Coca-Cola" in episode eighteen?), maybe it will be blurred out or obscured.

Now I wouldn't mind if Lynch tightened up a few scenes, but... :wink:

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1134 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am

Was this release intended to be a limited edition? I wasn't under that impression.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1135 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 am

No, but it could be that to get more printed it could take weeks. Guessing this is on a fair number of holiday wishlists.
Boosmahn wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:... It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!
A few sex scenes were probably edited. There are two notable ones (being in the first and last episodes, respectively), but that first episode was pretty graphic, especially for a TV show. Lynch most likely changed it to remove some of the nudity.
Why would he do this? They are still up on streaming, and were up for months, and I haven't heard anything about anyone upset at their involvement. So... why?

Morbii

#1136 Post by Morbii » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am

I got an email from Amazon estimating the 21st now for my preorder. Not that that really means anything since they just kick the can down the road continuously when they can’t get something.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1137 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

Oh, they didn't even send out all the preorders? Wow.

dadaistnun

#1138 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:58 am

I preordered within a day of the listing going up and still haven't even received any communication from Amazon about the delay; when I log into my account it says expected delivery 12/15. I don't particularly care (I won't be able to dig into the extra for a while anyway) but it does seem like the ball was dropped by someone, somewhere.

flyonthewall2983

#1139 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Amazon has been a little iffy lately on getting stuff right away it seems. Either not in stock or they have them in Europe or elsewhere, which means you won't get it for 2-3 weeks.

criterionsnob

#1140 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm

For those in Canada, I had luck finding this Blu-ray at Sunrise Records yesterday. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order, as it was still showing without an estimated delivery date.

Big Ben

#1141 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: Why would he do this? They are still up on streaming, and were up for months, and I haven't heard anything about anyone upset at their involvement. So... why?
There's certainly precedent but I think the above mention of the extra long beginning now being two episodes is more likely. We shall see!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1142 Post by Drucker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Well just got a shipping notice that estimated shipping date is now 12/18.

flyonthewall2983

#1143 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

flyonthewall2983

#1145 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 am

Is there much of a difference between the version of The Entire Mystery that originally came out that went out of print and the one which is out now?

Finch

#1146 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 am

The behind the scenes extras are wonderful for the most part but the faux-Werner Herzog narration is excruciating. Still what a treat to see Lynch at work, and I loved David Patrick Kelly performing an Irish song on his guitar for Lynch. Makes me wish they'd included that in the season proper.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1147 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:14 am

Is there a way to fix the sync issues on the Entire Mystery set? Some places recommend changing a setting on your tv to make the sync issues largely go away; is this an actual fix for the sync problems?

Robin Davies

#1148 Post by Robin Davies » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:30 am

Mungo wrote:Is there a way to fix the sync issues on the Entire Mystery set? Some places recommend changing a setting on your tv to make the sync issues largely go away; is this an actual fix for the sync problems?
There seem to be different fixes depending on your setup. You could try trawling through this thread:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... SOUND+SYNC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luckily my Sony blu-ray player has an A/V Sync adjustment facility which fixed the problem for me.

Roger Ryan

#1149 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Is there much of a difference between the version of The Entire Mystery that originally came out that went out of print and the one which is out now?
Only the packaging has changed - the original had a thicker cardboard box that featured the partial image of the dead Laura Palmer as a second layer below the prom queen photo (as if the prom queen photo and backing had been chipped away to reveal the second image) as well as a secret panel on the bottom of the box that opened to reveal a slip of paper reading "Fire walk with me". You can find images on the internet that will give you a good idea of how it looks. The disc content is the same.
Mungo wrote:Is there a way to fix the sync issues on the Entire Mystery set? Some places recommend changing a setting on your tv to make the sync issues largely go away; is this an actual fix for the sync problems?
I turned off the 24-frames per second output in the Blu-ray player settings (resulting in the image displaying at 1080/60p instead of 1080/24p) and it corrected the sync, although there is a subtle alteration of how the image is presented. For me, only the FWWM feature film, the deleted scenes from the film and the second episode of Season 2 have the sync problem.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1150 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
I turned off the 24-frames per second output in the Blu-ray player settings (resulting in the image displaying at 1080/60p instead of 1080/24p) and it corrected the sync, although there is a subtle alteration of how the image is presented. For me, only the FWWM feature film, the deleted scenes from the film and the second episode of Season 2 have the sync problem.
If I were to leave my TV in that mode, would that create problems for other discs (like Criterion blus?)