demonlover

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: demonlover

#26 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 am

Was it the two disc set? If not, David M can feel free to PM to have mine gratis if he needs it, since I was just planning to sell it to Decluttr for pocket change anyways

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 am

It was

JamesF

#28 Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 pm

We bought it (and had it sent to David, who isn’t encoding - he’s just closer) to get a copy of the Wexner Center Q&A extra - I knew I recognised the seller name!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#29 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Awesome, glad to play a small part in this release!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#30 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Awesome, glad to play a small part in this release!
People get an associate producer credit for less.

colinr0380

#31 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 am

Presumably to tie in with the imminent release of the film on home video in the UK for the first time Sight & Sound has devoted their back page of their current issue, which focuses on final scenes of films, to analysing the ending of demonlover. It is a really good article but I also thought I had better mention it in case people want to remain unspoiled as to the fate of the main character!

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 pm

A lot of terrific analysis has already been written in this and other threads on the film, but I have to add to the praise as this film won’t leave my mind. I loved every minute of this chaotic genre-bending ‘mess’ and it very well may be my new favorite Assayas. The way he constantly shakes up any sense of safety from the jarring camerawork, sound design, or plot elements, perfectly unravels control from us and our characters (note: the Arrow booklet is fantastic, especially the production notes, with Denis Lenoir explaining how he used varying film stocks to make the film grainier by the end, fizzling away that sense of reality or control). Even the moments of what should be catharsis by these people taking back control are followed by intensely out of control reactions that further disorient and provoke the viewer. As others have said there is a strong meditation on people being alone, unknowable, and powerless as evidenced by the globalization, desensitization, and absence of authentic identity explored here, but it’s done so eloquently, subtle and aggressive when necessary, like a dance only a master can do with material and form this enigmatic. This may take pieces of many genres but it is the ultimate horror film for me, one of the most engagingly unsettling film experiences I’ve ever had, and I can’t wait to watch it again.