Pickup Alley

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Pickup Alley

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 am

Stylishly directed by genre film journeyman John Gilling (Plague of the Zombies), Pickup Alley is a long-unseen crime film gem, set amongst the seedy milieu of the international narcotics trade.

Spurred on by the murder of his drug-addicted sister by ruthless crime boss Frank McNally (Trevor Howard, Brief Encounter), US agent Charles Sturgis (Victor Mature, Cry of the City) launches a transnational woman-hunt for McNally’s shapely associate, Gina Broger (Anita Ekberg, Killer Nun, La dolce vita). His investigation takes him on a thrill-ride from New York to London, Lisbon, Rome, Naples and finally Athens...

A globe-trotting adventure boasting a top-tier international cast, Pickup Alley affords the viewer shockingly frank portrayals of drug addiction; a glamourous travelogue of exotic locations, and intriguing depictions of sleazy villains. Produced by Irving Allen and Cubby Broccoli’s Warwick Films, this British cult classic now makes a welcome return in High Definition with a heavy dose of new extras.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements
  • Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • The Warwick Way, writer and curator Josephine Botting on the prolific and successful production company, Warwick Films
  • Original 1957 US theatrical release prologue by Congressman Hale Boggs, Chairman of the US Senate Committee of Narcotics
  • Original theatrical trailer and TV spot
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring two original artwork options
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully Illustrated booklet with a newly commissioned essay by British cinema scholar Robert Murphy

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Pickup Alley

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I haven’t seen this and I could not possibly be less optimistic about both a Columbia Pictures late-50s Noir and Arrow’s errant tastes in Noir licenses, but the original poster rules

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 pm

This is one of 9 nine titles about to come out in Kit Parker's Noir Archive Vol. 3

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Ah, well easy enough to just wait for that set to watch it then!

knives

#5 Post by knives » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:35 pm

I haven't seen this film, but its director did some excellent work for Hammer and also made the great Flesh and the Fiends so there's some small reason to be optimistic.