The Woman / Offspring

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

JamesF

Re: The Woman / Offspring

#26 Post by JamesF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Correct, Lionsgate still have US rights on Offspring and we couldn't pry those away.

brundlefly

#27 Post by brundlefly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Already spoke up for it in the May thread, but I think The Woman is the sort of worthwhile and very tough watch that should make the supplements interesting. If only to see with what level of defensiveness the filmmakers present their intentions and discuss reactions. If I remember correctly, the Bloody Disgusting disc had a feature which began with people openly disparaging the film, so it's not like they're given to hide from that.

A female critic's commentary track would have been a good idea, and I wish it was paired with McIntosh's sequel instead, but I will get this and confront it again.

The Curious Sofa

#28 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:56 pm

I wasn’t a fan of May but I count The Woman among the best horror films of the 21st century. The film is the cinematic equivalent of a great punk song. It sits between something like a Todd Solondz film but without the hipster nihilism and the visceral rawness of films of the French New Extremity like Martyrs or Inside but without the moral vacuity or leering voyeurism. Its politics and heart are in the right place, it’s an angry film and its anger is justified. Those looking for a straightforward shocker may be disappointed, because McKee side steps the conventions and clichés of the genre. McKee doesn't give you conventional scares or suspense sequences and it doesn't "reward" you with violence, when you expect it. The film is tough, but not without black humor. If you are open to McKee's approach then the film will crawl under your skin and it’s what I call a real horror film.

I saw Offspring once when it came out and I found it forgettable, The Woman works perfectly well as a stand-alone without it. I haven’t seen Darlin’ but nothing I read about it makes me want to search it out.