Schätze des deutschen Tonfilms: Three films by Harry Piel

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
billy98

Re: "Schätze des deutschen Tonfilms" - PARACELSUS by Pabst

#26 Post by billy98 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 am

Pabst's PARACELSUS on DVD

IHF Films, Chicago has this long-ignored title on schedule for release in 2011. I have provided them a JPEG of both original posters from my collection, as well as scans of 24 B&W stills from Bavaria Filmkunst, and the film's pressbook, as bonus materials. I understand that they have an excellent print. The DVD will have English (optional) subtitles.

A

Re: Schätze des deutschen Tonfilms: Three films by Harry Pie

#27 Post by A » Thu May 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I just wanted to chime in and also say that I appreciate the efforts behind "Schatze des deutschen Tonfilms" very much. Too bad, english subtitles are that expensive. :-(

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to their releases as the 30s may currently be my favorite decade for German cinema. Too bad, many people (especially in Germany) still think the output during that decade wasn't much due to the Nazis. Strangely I've never heard other countries deniying the qualities of their cinematic output because of a dictatorship (e.g. whole Eastern Europe under "Communism" comes to mind).

Though Spirit Media seems currently more into bundling their previous releases into (less expensive) box sets, I'm looking forward to more releases. :)

My only problem is the fact that some of the earlier releases (pre- 1933) are probably presented in the wrong aspect ratio (that's 1.33:1 instead of the early sound ratio of 1.19:1). Or can anyone confirm otherwise, who has tested some of those discs (e.g. "The Zinker") ?

PS: I appreciate a dvd-release of Pabst Paracelsus, though the company sounds a bit dubious to me... (an American with many Nazi films gets one wondering - maybe I'm too suspicious?).

Tommaso

#28 Post by Tommaso » Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm

I agree with absolutely everything that you say, A, especially about the neglect of German films from the 30s by the Germans themselves.

It hasn't been always like that; up until the late 1980s there were a lot of TV broadcasts of early German sound films, not least on the channels of the former GDR, which could hardly be suspected to entertain any sympathies for the Third Reich, of course. But now, the cliches about everything from the era being stained by the nazi influence seem to have taken over completely, with hardly a German film made before 1950 being ever shown on TV at all. It's a terrible shame, because the period 1929 to about 1938 (afterwards it indeed got a little less exciting) is one of the best the German cinema ever had. Unfortunately, the "Schätze" series has so far mostly concentrated on 'popular' stuff, most of it not terribly important, but I still hope we can get some real goodies out of them (for instance that rumoured release of "Die vertauschte Braut").

As to IHF: yes, they do look somewhat dubious, but they don't only have Nazi films, but all sorts of controversial stuff from other countries (including communist countries) as well. I think they're making use of a hole in the copyright law. While the Murnau-Stiftung would declare their releases of some of their films as illegal, of course, I suppose very much that the films they have released are in the public domain in the US, and if that should be right, then I have to say that IHF nevertheless invested a lot of care in them. At least for the newer releases you most often get quite comprehensive and objective historical background information as text screens, and for their release of "Jud Süß" they even got the renowned Eric Rentschler to do a video piece which discusses this problematic film in an informative and thought-provoking manner. I have to admit they're doing good work, releasing films that the German authorities don't want you to see, and in pretty good editions on top of it. So I'm much looking forward to "Paracelsus" indeed (not the greatest of all Pabst films, and I would have wanted them to do "Komödianten" instead, but still...)

A

#29 Post by A » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks. Your information on German cinema here and elsewhere is invaluable. I've read many of your your posts regarding old German cinema and also agree with you. :wink:

Of course any 30s German film release is better than none, so I'm happy somebody is doing something at least. To be honest, some 5 years ago I would have never thought any company would start releasing those films, and the (often poor) DVD releases of FWM-Stiftung's cooperation partner Transit would be all the German market would get. Fortunately I was proven wrong. Still, what we need now is a company that starts releasing German silents on a regular basis. Edition Filmmuseum is doing good work, but its by far not enough. Maybe something like "Schatze des deutschen Stummfilms" - and here i wouldn't have anything against a more popular focus.

Anyway: so there should still be some TV recordings of older films on VHS, Betamax or Video2000 copies floating around. Too bad most people aren't collectors. I don't have a TV connection, and haven't had one for a long time now, but I've recently heard the German pay-TV company "Sky" is showing some of those older films on their Nostalgia channels. Do you have any knowledge on this?

Thnak you very much for your opinion on IHF. Now I think I can start ordering some films from them without a bad conscience. The Jud Suss edition sounds tempting, but I'm not sure how to get this beyond the arms of the German customs control... At least Paracelsus shouldn't be a problem. Lol
Do you own any of their releases and can say something about the image and sound quality? Any "bad" remastering (especially on the sound), or do they take care of their product?

Tommaso

#30 Post by Tommaso » Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 am

IHF questions answered privately, let's keep this to the "Schätze" series.

A wrote: Of course any 30s German film release is better than none, so I'm happy somebody is doing something at least. To be honest, some 5 years ago I would have never thought any company would start releasing those films, and the (often poor) DVD releases of FWM-Stiftung's cooperation partner Transit would be all the German market would get. Fortunately I was proven wrong.
True, but great as the "Schätze" series potentially is, they don't collaborate with FWMS so far, and that means that there's no chance that they release any of the UFA films that constitute the real treasures of the early German sound film period, especially if you think in terms of comedy and especially musicals.
A wrote: Still, what we need now is a company that starts releasing German silents on a regular basis. Edition Filmmuseum is doing good work, but its by far not enough. Maybe something like "Schatze des deutschen Stummfilms" - and here i wouldn't have anything against a more popular focus.
What do you mean by popular here? Films from the 'mainstream' of entertainment as opposed to the intentionally 'artistic' films by directors like Grune or Pick? I would really love to see the latter first, I have to admit, though on the other hand I would definitely be out of my mind if someone got the idea to release some of the silent Harvey/Fritsch-films (both together and solo), for instance. Something like "Ein Walzertraum" and so on.... But whatever would be released by such a series, it would certainly be a dream come true. Badly, badly needed, especially, as you say, Filmmuseum can't do everything on their own (though what they're doing is fantastic work all the time).

A

#31 Post by A » Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Yes, you are right, more UFA would be greatly appreciated (to delve deeper into some guys like Wisbar, but also all those "musical/operetta" films), but as far as FWMS ist concerned, they seem(ed) to be a bit difficult to deal with, so...
And anyways, I really appreciate the effort of releasing anything in good quality. I guess I'm just happy there's something at all coming regularly on Home Video. If you look to the US in terms of 30s films, well - the Germans sure do have a problem with keeping their film heritage alive and available. :cry:

Yes, with the silents I meant rather more popular stuff, like some adventure, detective films (similar to the current Schatze- series) with films by popular actors and stars. Harvey and Fritsch come to mind, but also Jenny Jugo, Erna Morena, etc. Of course I would also be delighted with more Dupont or something like "Die Weber" (1927). Basically anything from silent Germany. Also I'd like to see some box-sets with silent comedians pre 1920. There is just too much neglect when it comes to silent cinema.

So I guess I may be more "generous" in regards to those older films, in terms of not really caring if I like a film that's been released or not (or if I find it important) but just being happy somebody is doing something to keep the heritage of films alive. :wink: