Reign of Terror, Italian release

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
strangerinparadise

Reign of Terror, Italian release

#1 Post by strangerinparadise » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Given its cult status, I decided to open a new thread here - this edition might well have gotten less attention if posted under the Anthony Mann thread(it's Terror's only non US release). And this Italian version is, in my humble opinion, the best there is thus far. Its running time appears complete, it can be watched without Italian subs - and the image is easily the best available out there - John Alton's stunning cinematography has finally been done justice. It's released with the 20th Century Fox logo on its cover.*
http://film-dvd.dvd.it/dvd-noir/il-regn ... d-1305947/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is one (BIG) distraction - every now and then the English soundtrack drops out only to be substituted with the Italian dub.

*Production company Punto Zero's track record is at best dubious when it comes to picture quality apart from this one title.
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0220491/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strangerinparadise

Re: Reign of Terror, Italian release - comparison

#3 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm

strangerinparadise wrote:Beaver
I don't feel the reviewer stresses clearly enough how the Italian DVD is way superior to all other existing releases visually, never mind its occasionally fucked-up English soundtrack.

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

strangerinparadise wrote:
I don't feel the reviewer stresses clearly enough how the Italian DVD is way superior to all other existing releases visually, never mind its occasionally fucked-up English soundtrack.
From those caps, it looks to me like the same transfer as the recent VCI, but heavily contrast-boosted with edge enhancement-a-go-go (check out the guy's hat in the fifth grab). There's a lot of detail blown out in that last shot too.

strangerinparadise

#5 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm

zedz wrote:
strangerinparadise wrote:
From those caps, it looks to me like the same transfer as the recent VCI, but heavily contrast-boosted with edge enhancement-a-go-go (check out the guy's hat in the fifth grab). There's a lot of detail blown out in that last shot too.
Don't jump to conclusions: Yeah, but what about that third grab? That is clearly not contrast-boosted - and the Italian DVD PQ is superior in every way. Mind you, this is not the same transfer - the Italian disc was released way earlier than the VCI DVD, and does not suffer from the abrupt *edits* as does the VCI. Moreover, the PuntoZero edition includes the infamous shot when one of the main characters is shot in the throat, rendering it impossible to defend himself against the jury - this shot is not included on the VCI DVD, and this is a major plot device! I have reviewed both the Alpha disc, the VCI disc and the PuntoZero disc. And I should add that The Beaver let another reviewer comment on the latter, thus disabling him from a direct comparison of the three versions, save for the screencaps previously posted. OK? Viewing a DVD transfer in motion will frequently give another impression than comparing random screencaps, to state the obvious. I have done my homework as I'm passionate about this film - would I be wrong in assuming that you haven't quite done yours?
Last edited by strangerinparadise on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

Re: Reign of Terror, Italian release

#6 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 pm

So this version is uncut? Can you post some captures from the cut scenes?

strangerinparadise

#7 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:54 pm

zedz wrote:So this version is uncut? Can you post some captures from the cut scenes?
I don't think it's completely uncut, but it's the most complete edition out there. I don't have the means to post caps, so you'll either have to take my word for it, direct your question to The Beaver or buy all three discs to arrive at the same conclusion as I, or, alternatively, prove me wrong. I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but - again - you are jumping to conclusions. I have no evidence as to know for sure that the version in question is completely uncut. Yet considering the versions available that are more or less complete - I believe the Italian edition is the least cut.

Jonathan S

#8 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

I have a 1980s UK TV copy which is certainly less cut than the VCI as it includes both the shot-in-the-face close-up and much more of the bakery torture scene. Mine runs just over 85 minutes with PAL speed-up, so if the Beaver running time of 85 minutes 45 seconds for the Italian DVD is correct (and assuming it's a proper PAL transfer) it must be even more complete than mine. I'd grab it in a flash if it were not for the soundtrack lapses but sadly that rules it out for me. Does it contain all the bakery torture shots omitted by VCI?

strangerinparadise

#9 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Jonathan S wrote:Does it contain all the bakery torture shots omitted by VCI?
It certainly includes more of them, if not all. And the pace, fluidity of editing is certainly superior to the Alpha and VCI versions.

I agree, the soundtrack is a major drawback - but given Sony's current financial state - we might as well forget about a superior DVD version coming from them, regretfully. Anyway, this is an obscure title, unlikely to generate sufficient sales to cover the cost from a substantial restoration. In earlier days, an executive in a central position might have been able to goad Sony into a release proper if he were an ardent fan of the movie. Sadly, those days are gone.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:05 pm

strangerinparadise wrote:you'll either have to take my word for it, direct your question to The Beaver or buy all three discs to arrive at the same conclusion as I, or, alternatively, prove me wrong. I don't mean to sound obnoxious. . .
Well that's not exactly working out for you, is it?

Sorry, but I was just responding to the Beaver caps that you yourself adduced as evidence for the improved image. On the strength of those caps I still don't see it. The uncut nature of the film is an entirely new issue that wasn't even mentioned in the review, nor in the post in which you took issue with the review and to which I was responding. If you're so heavily invested in this whole palaver, I suggest you take issue with the Beaver reviewer. Frankly, I couldn't care less.

strangerinparadise

Trying to be objective - I needn't have to...

#11 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm

zedz wrote:
strangerinparadise wrote:you'll either have to take my word for it, direct your question to The Beaver or buy all three discs to arrive at the same conclusion as I, or, alternatively, prove me wrong. I don't mean to sound obnoxious. . .
Well that's not exactly working out for you, is it?

Sorry, but I was just responding to the Beaver caps that you yourself adduced as evidence for the improved image. On the strength of those caps I still don't see it. The uncut nature of the film is an entirely new issue that wasn't even mentioned in the review, nor in the post in which you took issue with the review and to which I was responding. If you're so heavily invested in this whole palaver, I suggest you take issue with the Beaver reviewer. Frankly, I couldn't care less.
You provided selected caps from DVDBeaver that seemed to prove your point while I provided one that rendered these invalid, for reasons previously explained. I have seen all three DVDs in question, while you haven't - and I shared my observations. Still, if you couldn't care less, why respond? I'll be generous and suggest that we'll agree to disagree. If you keep on disagreeing, why, I couldn't care less! This is not a competition, I believe. Let's move on, shall we, but if you are hellbent on having the last word - it's yours for the taking. Goodnight, Sir.
Last edited by strangerinparadise on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rohmerin

#12 Post by rohmerin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:00 pm

There's another R2 "restored" DVD
the Spaniards talk abot this edition with captures here

http://www.mundodvd.com/showthread.php?p=1669692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strangerinparadise

#13 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:06 pm

rohmerin wrote:There's another R2 "restored" DVD
the Spaniards talk abot this edition with captures here

http://www.mundodvd.com/showthread.php?p=1669692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The caps speak for themselves; it isn't always a case of providing a restoration proper. A superior print might well require very minor restoration, or none at all - to better other editions.

Ashirg

#14 Post by Ashirg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 am

Can you provide timecodes on Italian disc of the missing shots and I'll update DVD Beaver review with those captures? Unfortunately, I misplaced my VCI disc so I could not compare two versions side by side (as I wanted to). Thanks!

strangerinparadise

#15 Post by strangerinparadise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Ashirg wrote:Can you provide timecodes on the Italian disc of the missing shots and I'll update my DVD Beaver review with those captures? Unfortunately, I misplaced my VCI disc so I could not compare two versions side by side (as I wanted to). Thanks!
Dear Ashirg, of course I will honor your request. You'll probably have to wait a little while longer though, as my large DVD collection is terribly disorganized and I haven't been able to locate the disc yet, unfortunately, but rest assured it'll only be a matter of time before I do.