Coffret Jean Gabin (2010)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Wu.Qinghua

Coffret Jean Gabin (2010)

#1 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 am

Does anyone have any further information on the 'Coffret Jean Gabin', which has been released by StudioCanal in october 2010?

The 'Coffret' contains 6 movies (Pepe le Moko, La bete humaine, Le jour se lève, La grande illusion, Touchez pas au Grisbi & L'air de Paris. According to their catalogue, the discs are region 2-locked and offer optional English and Spanish subtitles.

But I am actually wondering whether there are English subs for all the movies and whether there might be subs for the supplements, too? And am I right reasoning that there are no French subtitles? And apart from that, can anybody comment on the quality of the transfers?

videozor

Re: Coffret Jean Gabin (2010)

#2 Post by videozor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm

More accurate info can be found on dvdfr.com.

Usually these boxes are re-using DVDs that were avalable (with ever changing cover art designs) for a long, long time, and on that web site you'll be able to trace the very first issue of each title and sometime even see the screenshots.

From my experience not even all the features have english subs, but extras (if there are any) - do not, as a rule

Wu.Qinghua

#3 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Thank you a lot, videozor. I reckoned that these would most probably be older discs repackaged in a new boxset. I vaguely remember having read someplace that there wouldn't be English subtitles available for all the films, but only for some. But I can't find that source no more.

May I add another short question: Is there some recommendable French online ressource like dvdbeaver oder dvdtimes?

videozor

#4 Post by videozor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm

I would suggest using dvdcomape.net - in very many comparisons the DVDs of French origin are included, and the information about subs and extras are, in most cases, accurate.

After finding an edition there, you could, sort of cross-examine the info's accuracy by using dvdfr.com.

I am not aware about any site consistently providing visual comparisons similar to DVD Beaver elsewhere, but, surprisingly, in Russia, but their site is only on Russian/Soviet movies.

There are some sites doing such comparisons only from time to time, and the best way to find them is to search dvd-basen.dk/uk for a particular title thru all regions

Jonathan S

#5 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

I can't comment on this particular set, but if these films are wanted with English subs, they've all been released in the UK by Optimum (probably in the same transfers) and can be bought individually, usually for £5-6 each.