The Silent World / Le monde du silence (1956) Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
antnield

The Silent World / Le monde du silence (1956) Blu-ray

#1 Post by antnield » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Couldn't find an appropriate thread so figured I'd start one instead. On May 23rd the History Channel releases three Cousteau Blu-rays in the UK, most notably The Silent World (Le Monde du Silence). Amazon link. The other titles are Voyage to the Edge of the World and World Without Sun.

Minkin

Re: The Silent World (Le Monde du Silence) Blu-ray

#2 Post by Minkin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

The History Channel? Seriously?

Does this cancel all hope for a Criterion release or will we be stuck with another wrong aspect ratio, original-print-destroying, History channel bodge job?
And when did the American History Channel become the redneck ice road logging, gator trapping pawn trash?

Adam

Re: The Silent World (Le Monde du Silence) Blu-ray

#3 Post by Adam » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 pm

It's quite amazing that it is being released.

Minkin

Re: The Silent World / Le monde du silence (1956) Blu-ray

#4 Post by Minkin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, good news then:
Cousteau Society wrote:Thank you for contacting the Cousteau Society. Europe Images has rights to the films outside the Americas and, as far as I know, there is no connection between contracts with the UK and the US History channels. The Society is in current discussions to have released The Silent World, World Without Sun and Voyage to the Edge of the World in the US.

antnield

Re: The Silent World / Le monde du silence (1956) Blu-ray

#5 Post by antnield » Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 am

My copy arrived today. I can't determine whether it's Region B or Region All with my set-up, but definitely 1080p and not an upscale job. The image is a little soft, though this may be inherent in the original materials. Frustratingly, whilst both French and English soundtracks are available, there are no optional subtitles meaning many will have to make do with the English dub.