André Delvaux on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
rohmerin

André Delvaux on DVD

#1 Post by rohmerin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 am

This Dutch - language film by Delvaux, Woman Between Wolf and Dog, is it avalaible on DVD in any country?
Last edited by rohmerin on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tajmahal

Re: Woman Between Wolf and Dog

#2 Post by tajmahal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 am

rohmerin wrote:This Dutch - language film by Delvaux, Woman Between Wolf and Dog, is it avalaible on DVD in any country?
It will be released sometime over the next year and a half by Cinematek.

zedz

Re: Woman Between Wolf and Dog (Delvaux, 1979)

#3 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Which reminds me: given that initiative from Cinematek, does anybody have any strong Delvaux recommendations? Rendez-vous a Bray has attracted some very high praise from reliable sources, and evidently Woman between Wolf and Dog has at least one admirer, but I've never knowlingly seen any of his films.

Gropius

#4 Post by Gropius » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

zedz wrote:Which reminds me: given that initiative from Cinematek, does anybody have any strong Delvaux recommendations? Rendez-vous a Bray has attracted some very high praise from reliable sources, and evidently Woman between Wolf and Dog has at least one admirer, but I've never knowlingly seen any of his films.
The only one I've seen is Un soir, un train (1968), which I remember thinking was pretty good - rather eerie, with perhaps certain similarities to the dream-like aspects of Resnais/Robbe-Grillet. It doesn't seem to have been included in that DVD set, though. If the others are of similar quality, he is certainly an auteur worthy of discovery.

rohmerin

Re: André Delvaux on DVD

#5 Post by rohmerin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 am

I saw L'homme au crâne rasé, Un soir, une train in the Madrid retrospective in 2000 and they were very good. I saw Woman between dog but I think it was a French- language version, I can not remember its language.

filmghost

Re: André Delvaux on DVD

#6 Post by filmghost » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I second the recommendation for "L'homme". I don't remember a lot about it (it has been years since I saw it) but I definitely remember that it left me quite impressed.

Camera Obscura

#7 Post by Camera Obscura » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

zedz wrote:Which reminds me: given that initiative from Cinematek, does anybody have any strong Delvaux recommendations? Rendez-vous a Bray has attracted some very high praise from reliable sources, and evidently Woman between Wolf and Dog has at least one admirer, but I've never knowlingly seen any of his films.
De man die zijn haar kort liet knippen / The Man Who Cut His Hair Short (1966) is the only Delvaux I've seen and surely deserves a little more exposure. In Dutch language, based on the 1947 Johan Daisne novel, Delvaux manages to transform the main character's inner musings very well (I love the book, only saw the film a couple of years back).

Incidentally, Johan Daisne was an ardent cinephile. In Belgium, he was one of the pioneers on film criticism and supposedly kept a notebook with over 15.000 films he'd seen during the 40s, 50s and 60s. Not sure if it's published (or parts of it), but I'd love to look into it.

The dvd from Cinematek is completely English friendly, as are the other titles in The Flemish Film Chronicle.

EDIT: I wrongly assumed The Man Who Cut His Hair Short was Delvaux's only Dutch language feature.