Romanian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Aunt Peg

Re: Romanian Films on DVD

#51 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 am

Well, I have completed an order to buy the Romanian Blu Ray of Sieranevada. Just under $100 with shipping to Australia. Can't wait for some UK or US company to maybe get around and release it.

It was one of the best films of 2016 and that is so underseen is a crying shame.

Aunt Peg

#52 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 am

Received my Blu Ray for Sieranevada and couldn't be happier. Not only does it have English subtitles it also has French subtitles.

Word of warning though, it doesn't have chapter search, just like most of David Lynchs films on DVD/Blu Ray. I'll watch it again in the next couple of days. Flicking through the disc it most certainly is a gorgeous transfer.

I think the limited edition is at 900. I received no. 12.

Aunt Peg

#53 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 am

Just finished watching Sieranevada and happy to say it holds up to a second viewing. Can also report that it will play on a Region A locked player.

Now the bad news. About half way through the film there was a scene that kept freezing up just for a brief moment. It happens about 6 times during this particular scene.

I played in disc in my other player that was handy, purchased back in 2010, and that player did not like the disc one bit. I was able to start playing the film but it soon became pixilated and the player started marking a funny noise.

I didn't noice any issues with the 3rd player I have and tomorrow I'll check if it film stops and starts at the same points on the player that I watched the film on.

I suppose my primary concern is if the problems with the disc worsen over time to the point that it won't be playable.

perkizitore

#54 Post by perkizitore » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 am

I will be in Romania next week, anything else worth picking up from Carturesti except for the Pintilie boxset? I am also interested in the Sieranevada blu, but it's too expensive.

tinderboy

#55 Post by tinderboy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 am

Matt wrote:Can anyone confirm if the French Wild Bunch DVD of Puiu's Sieranevada has English subtitles? I'm seeing conflicting information on various retailer websites.
I own the French DVD...no English subtitles :(

I don't understand why there is no standard Blu ray edition available (only extremely expensive one). No even a dvd version...

L.A.

#57 Post by L.A. » Tue May 05, 2020 4:45 am

L.A.

#58 Post by L.A. » Wed May 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Carnival Scenes (1982) was a tad bit long and noisy at times but nevertheless decent, like Romania’s own Private Vices, Public Pleasures (1976). Don’t know has CS ever been submitted to the BBFC but most likely will be cut :-k.

Calvin

#59 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:08 am

Deaf Crocodile will release a 4K restoration of Victor Antonescu and Mircea Toia's Delta Space Mission (Misiunea spatialã Delta). Here's a trailer

Glowingwabbit

#60 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:32 am

Calvin wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:08 am
Deaf Crocodile will release a 4K restoration of Victor Antonescu and Mircea Toia's Delta Space Mission (Misiunea spatialã Delta). Here's a trailer
I'm guessing this is there Feb 1st announcement.