Can anyone confirm the region locking for...?

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Can anyone confirm the region locking for...?

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Can anyone confirm whether the UK release of this Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton documentary is region-locked and/or PAL or NTSC? I'm reading conflicting reports in the Amazon product info in various places. The UK site says it's PAL and R2 but someone is selling it as an import on the US site as well and calling it NTSC and region free. There's also a listing on Amazon France for what appears to be a port of the same release that calls it PAL and R2 in one place but NTSC and R0 in another. This is to be a gift for someone without region-free capability so I would greatly appreciate any firsthand information from someone that has one of these discs.

(Also, I started this as a new thread as I would think it would be a useful place for others to ask similar questions about other releases. Mods, feel free to move this if there's already a thread for this sort of thing.)

MichaelB

Re: Can anyone confirm the region locking for...?

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

I think there are two versions - a PAL edition released by Arte in France, and a NTSC version released by Facets in the US. Click on the links for the cover artwork - you'll see that there's a small difference.

I'd instinctively favour the PAL edition, because that's almost certainly the originating format - but if it's a gift for an NTSC-locked friend, the Facets is probably your only realistic option. But I can't stress enough that this is educated guesswork: I haven't personally handled either disc.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:06 pm

The Facets release is OOP and going for the price of an actual Marc Jacobs or Louis Vuitton, which is why I'm looking for other alternatives.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:11 pm

I suspect the clincher will be the presence or otherwise of the Facets logo on the cover.

As far as I can make out, the UK release is identical to the French and German ones - and since it's a French documentary on a French label, it's overwhelmingly likely to be PAL. No idea about the region code: Amazon is not a reliable source, but I can't find any other indications.

antnield

#5 Post by antnield » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Here's the contact form for Quantum Leap who are distributing the disc in the UK.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the tips so far, you two. I've contacted the DVD publisher for now.

Arn777

#7 Post by Arn777 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I've got the French Arte DVD, it is NTSC All Zone.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am

I received a response from the DVD publisher, who confirmed that the UK release is PAL and R2. Arn777, can you confirm that the French release has English subtitles?

Arn777

#9 Post by Arn777 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

according to the back sleeve it has english, french and german track and subtitles in the same 3 languages, I haven't seen it since it came out so memory is hazy, but its likely that there are several track for the voice over, s the other fashion docs done by Loic Prigent for Arte. Original language is a mix of English (MJ and his US crew) and French (LV French people).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks!