Baltic Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Baltic Films on DVD

#1 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Estonia
Viimne reliikvia (1969). Definitely a must-buy if you visit the country, discussion about the Estonian DVD here.

Latvia
Rolanda Kalnina aizliegtas filmas / Rolands Kalnins' Forbidden Films sounds interesting, the front cover has English text so it could include EN subtitles for the films. Other than that, not sure of available English-friendly DVDs in Latvia.

Lithuania
Niekas nenorėjo mirti / Nobody Wanted to Die (1965)
Herkus Mantas (1972)

Classic films, unfortunately no English subtitles it seems.

If any of you have seen something from these countries then recommendations would be nice. :)

prohias

Re: Baltic Films on DVD

#2 Post by prohias » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I really like the films of Lithuanian director Algimantas Puipa; what impresses me is their dark subject matter and atmospheric cinematography. The following films by him are on DVD with English subtitles.

- Dievu Miskas (Forest of the Gods)
- Nuodemes Uzkalbejimas (Whisper of Sin)

A completely different Lithuanian film (but also quite good, and on DVD with Eng subtitles) is Nereikalingi Zmones (Loss).

I also recommend films by Sharunas Bartas. He is kind of like a Lithuanian Bela Tarr. The majority of his films are available in subtitled versions, but often the dialogue is so minimal that subs are not necessary.

John Edmond

#3 Post by John Edmond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 pm

What I'd give for a YesEurope.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Quite recently Eesti Filmiarhiiv sent me a collection of nine Estonian short films (which were digitally restored for the centennial of Estonian film in 2012) from 1912-1914 by Johannes Pääsuke, who is considered to be the father of Estonian cinema.

The publication which is called Esimene Pääsuke and is a DVDR contains the following:

1. Town of Tartu and it's Surroundings (1912), intertitles in Estonian only
2. Historical Remembrances of Estonia's Past (1913), intertitles in Estonian only
3. Journey Through Setomaa (1913), w/o intertitles
4. Pictures of Võru County (1913), w/o intertitles
5. Grand Blizzard in the Baltics in December (1913), w/o intertitles
6. The Day of the White Flower in Tartu (1913), w/o intertitles
7. Theatre Building "Estonia" in Tallinn (1913), intertitles in Estonian only
8. Volunteer Firefighters' Society of Tartu Celebrate Their 50th Anniversary (1914), w/o intertitles
9. and lastly the first Estonian feature film Bear Hunting in Pärnumaa (1914), intertitles in Estonian or English depending which version you buy according to Eesti Filmiarhiiv.

The duration of the publication is a little over 50 minutes and also includes a booklet that introduces the films.

Like I mentioned earlier, the publication is available in both Estonian and English-language versions, so those of you outside Estonia who are interested in this should choose the English-language version, because in this case the intertitles for Bear Hunting in Pärnumaa and the booklet are in English.

This cost only 5,00€ including shipping, well to Finland at least.

L.A.

#5 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 pm

The first Latvian feature film Lāčplēsis / The Bear Slayer (1930), a silent.

It's available on DVD courtesy of the Riga Film Museum but without English subtitles and for research purposes only.

htshell

#6 Post by htshell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Just received a DVD and book of "Cinematic Inclusions: Lithuanian Documentary Films". I was offered this program to screen by the Lithuanian consul after I organized a retrospective of Jonas Mekas' films this past spring.

Cinematic Inclusions is a selection of poetic documentary films from 1965-1994. There are seven short films that run 142 minutes. We'll be screening this program Thursday, September 19 at International House Philadelphia. There is a link with a description of the program on the Lithuanian cultural embassy website, but if there is interest on here I will see if there are ways for others to get a copy of the DVD/60-page book package.

Ged Parsons

#7 Post by Ged Parsons » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi, htshell - I've just checked out the description of the programme, on the Lithuanian cultural embassy website, and it looks like fascinating stuff.

I couldn't see any info on whether the 'Cinematic Inclusions' exhibition has already been to the UK, or not - but I'd certainly be very interested in obtaining a copy of the DVD and book that you mention, and I look forward to any future info you can provide on this - thanks!

vertovfan

#8 Post by vertovfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 am

I'd be interested as well!

Lemmy Caution

#9 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 am

Ran across this list of Baltic submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1991.
8 from Estonia, 3 Latvian and 3 Lithuanian
I've only seen two, The Defenders of Riga (Latvia, 2007) and The Temptation of St. Anthony (Estonia, 2009). Both of which are good interesting films. I quite liked the setup of St. Anthony but then it petered out a bit.
Was wondering if anyone had seen the others and had any comments.
From the brief descriptions, Loss (Lithuania, 2008) sounded promising, and maybe Vortex (Lithuania, 2009).

perkizitore

#10 Post by perkizitore » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:02 am

L.A.

#11 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:03 am

L.A.

#12 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Digitized and restored Lithuanian classic films, some on Blu-ray with English subtitles. Contacted Lithuanian Film Centre and they replied; these are not for sale and no chance of having them. At least not at this stage, maybe later.
The Centre also mentioned that a Blu-ray will come out in 2017.

Ged Parsons

#13 Post by Ged Parsons » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:38 pm

I just found these 3 Latvian documentary DVDs in the 'Sale' box at the BFI Shop on the South Bank, London.

I don't think there were any more there, though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I got all 3 for 0.99p each! They were reduced from £17.99 each.